walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Three old men on The Schil

Three old men on The Schil

Postby Tinto63 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:52 pm

Date walked: 10/03/2012

Time taken: 4.4 hours

Distance: 14.7 km

Ascent: 520m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

I hadn't anything definite planned for last Saturday, so phoned a couple of friends to see if they would like a walk, it was agreed that we should go where the weather was most promising and the Cheviots appeared the best bet. I have been down to this area a couple of times before but this was new territory for my two companions as they normally head north to the high hills. We agreed on The Schil from Kirk Yetholm mainly on the basis that the end of the walk was closest to the nearest pub. At this point I should point out that our combined ages are some way above 210 but haven't quite reached 220, however the average was lowered considerably by John's wee dog which is just a year old.

We parked at NT840276 beside the Halter Burn where a generous grassed area will accommodate many cars. At the start the weather looked good but overcast and so it remained for the rest of the day. We opted to take the alternative Pennine Way route that goes past Halterburn and Burnhead and on to Old Halterburnhead, where we paused for our morning break. From there we continued up the slopes of Black Hag to meet the main Pennine Way route.

IMG_3581.JPG
looking down towards Old Halterburnhead and White Law

IMG_3582.JPG
On the slopes of Black Hag

IMG_3583.JPG
first view of The Schil

From there a short walk brought us to the Border where we briefly crossed into England and walked up towards the summit of The Schil, To get to the cairn you need to cross back into Scotland and take about 10 paces! This is a good size cairn and provided plenty of shelter from the stiff breeze while we had our lunch.

IMG_3585.JPG
The summit cairn.

We returned by the upper route over Steer Rig and White Law. This is a very satisfying ridge walk with extensive views both westwards into Scotland and eastwards over Northumberland and the North Sea. After White Law this drops down and eventually leads to the south of Green Humbleton where a small bridge over the burn brings you to the car park.

Just as we got back to the car and were changing boots etc. two cars pulled up with 8 or 9 occupants of all ages, all smartly dressed and obviously not bound for a long hill walk, they proceeded in a sombre little party to cross the bridge and gathered in a huddle on a small grassy knoll at the foot of Green Humbleton; after a couple minutes one of their number detached himself and from a few yards away scattered an urn of white ashes over grass and gorse.

We observed quietly from a distance.

This was the first time I had witnessed ashes scattered in this way and thought that the deceased must have loved this area at the end of the Pennine Way and also on St Cuthbert's Way. While it will not be my choice when the time comes, it was certainly appropriate and will give relatives an easy spot to visit and have a few minutes remembering in a special place.

After a short visit to the Border Inn in Kirk Yetholm, which is a very welcoming hostelry with good beer, we were soon on our way back to West Lothian. Coming into Kelso I spotted a Sainsbury's supermarket selling diesel at 136.9p per litre, a few pence cheaper than at home so took the opportunity to fill up, this prompted many nostalgic reminiscences about petrol at 5 bob a gallon and a tank full costing £2.....those were the days?
Tinto63
Wanderer

Munros:129   Corbetts:46
Fionas:38   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:30   

Re: Three old men on The Schil

Postby foggieclimber » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:10 pm

Nice to see the Schil. I was in Town Yetholm on Saturday and did Windy Gyle and the Cheviot on Sunday.
I also filled up at Sainsburys in Kelso at £1.369. Good compared to £1.489 back home.
I can remember buying a gallon of fuel at almost half of what we now pay for a litre
foggieclimber

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland