walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

More misty Donalds

More misty Donalds

Postby kmsharp » Fri Mar 16, 2012 10:15 am

Route description: Blackhope Scar and the Moorfoots

Grahams included on this walk: Blackhope Scar

Donalds included on this walk: Blackhope Scar, Bowbeat Hill, Dundreich

Date walked: 11/03/2012

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 24.3 km

Ascent: 835m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Buoyed by the prospect of good weather I decided that I would head out to the Moorfoots. I had planned to park at either of the two car parks shown on my Landranger map, however these have been closed by the placement of steel posts across the entrances. The good news is that there is parking on a bit of waste land at NT309542 for about six cars. Once I parked it became apparent why the car parks had been closed. Judging by the amount of litter, beer bottles in particular, there's obviously been a huge problem with the less savoury varient of wild camper. There are seems to have been quite a lot of fly tipping.

Leaving the car I headed south along the private road to Mauldslie Farm. Just before the entrance to the farm there's a signposted track across the fields towards the hills. I followed the path to the fence at saddle between Mauldslie Hill and Torfichen Hill and turned southwest and followed the slight path alongside the fence towards the summit of Mauldslie Hill.

I soon entered the cloud and spent the next few hours trudging along following the quad bike track that ran parallel with the fence along the ridge line. There was a strong, cold, head wind which wasn't making things any easier. So much for the weather forecast! I sheltered in a grouse butt near The Kipps to have some food before continuing as before to the summit of Blackhope Scar.

Dropping down from to the west from the summit I soon heard the sound of the Bowbeat wind turbines, they then started looming out of the mist. I'm not sure of my position on these things as I only ever seem to see them at a long distance, or looming out of the mist. In the mist I find the whoop, whoop, noise quite comforting!

After reaching the summit of Bowbeat Hill I began the plod across the relatively moor towards Dundreich. At the end of the windfarm the fence bears west, it makes more sense to leave the fence and head north for a bit before swinging to the northwest towards Dundreich.

From the summit I picked up the fence line heading northwest and met the only other walker I saw that day - he'd also been lured out by the promise of better weather. After Jeffries Course I dropped straight down into the South Esk valley and picked up the track back to the reservoir, but with the benefit of hindsight the better plan would have been to continue on the high ground dropping down the gentler slope to Gladhouse Cottage.

Once back on the track it was a straight forward walk through Moorfoot Farm, Huntly Cot, and back past Mauldslie Farm to the car.

Once again, this is probably a fantastic walk on a clear day, I did get some glimpses of Edinburgh, the Forth, and Fife. However it's a bit of a plod in the clag. Only a couple of photos:
IMG_3134.jpg
Across Gladhouse Reservoir to Edinburgh and the Forth.

IMG_3135.jpg
Looking across the South Esk Valley to Blackhope Scar.

Blackhope Scar.GPX Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

kmsharp

Munros:2   Corbetts:8
Grahams:25   Donalds:82
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:2   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is now advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland