walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

My first Munro

My first Munro

Postby Trossachsgirl » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:31 pm

Route description: Ben Lomond

Munros included on this walk: Ben Lomond

Date walked: 19/09/2009

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 12 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A couple of weeks ago I ran out of realistic excuses why one of our weekend walks should not be an attempt on a Munro. Neither my husband or I were going to be working, the weather was not forecast to be a complete wash out, and frankly we had nothing else planned. My husband had wanted to 'bag' one for a long time so was very keen to choose one and get going.

So looking at options, which included on my part nothing too strenuous and within an hour of the house, Ben Lomond was selected and we took heed of advice on this site and set off nice and early. Indeed, ours was the first car in the car park and it was around 0810 that we officially started.
IMG_1401.JPG
Husband Tony starting out on our first Munro adventure

The walk through the forest at the start was very pleasant, especially as it had rained a little overnight and had that lovely 'fresh' smell that lingers in the damp. However, we were keen to get on and climbed steadily before turning around and enjoying our first views of Loch Lomond from the hillside. We were not disappointed. No, the sun was not reflecting in the still water, instead a low mist had descended, bringing with it a mystical setting, which I could have watched over for hours.
IMG_1407.JPG
Beautiful Loch Lomond

Instead, I was pulled back to reality and to the fact that the cloud was coming down faster than we really wanted it to. We stuck to the path and made our way up the rocky zig-zag route while the rain came down and the wind picked up. Visibility went down to around 50m but there was never a doubt that we would not complete the task in hand. In fact the summit arrived all too quickly (although from my point of view, that was a very pleasant surprise)!

We did not linger too long at the top. Sadly there were no views to admire and it was rather cold. But the obligitory photographs were taken and our smiles were just as wide as they would have been had it been a clear day.
IMG_1405.JPG
Tony smiling broadly at the summit

Because of the weather and poor visibility we decided to re-trace our steps rather than extend our adventure via the Ptarmigan route (we will save that on our return visit). While we enjoyed the hill to ourselves on the ascent, the way down was very different. Once we got just below the clouds we could see lots of walkers, one group behind another, making their way up the path like an army of ants gathering food or debris for their nest. Everyone we met said 'hello'. Walking really is one of those past-times when people who meet can be called friends who have just not met yet.

We ambled down carefully as the path was wet and the limbs were tired and finished our round trip in under four hours. A flask of warm coffee was waiting for us in the car and our adventure finished with a warm drink, a stunning view and the two of us feeling very pleased with ourselves and planning our next Munro adventure.
IMG_1400.JPG
Our view to end our first Munro adventure

To those who doubt their ability, take it from me, you can do it. I am not couch potato but I am by no means a gym junkie. Yes, I ached for about three days after the walk, but the natural high I got from making it to the summit is still with me. Can't wait to do another.
Trossachsgirl
Mountaineer

Munros:3   Corbetts:1

Re: My first Munro

Postby skuk007 » Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:57 pm

Hi and welcome to the site.
Congratulations to you both on your first Munro, it's a great feeling to get the first one completed. Hope you have fun planning and eventually walking plenty of others.
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Postby monty » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:21 pm

Hi and well done on your first munro. I done Ben Lomond not so long ago and had similar weather so I could not see anything from the top. Its a shame because the views are impressive and make the slog up the hill worthwhile.

Good luck on your next munro :D
monty

Postby Paul Webster » Wed Sep 23, 2009 8:28 pm

Aye, congratulations are in order :D

Doing a first Munro and trip report on Ben Lomond looks like becoming a tradition on here.

Wait until you get a fine day up somewhere like that, then you'll really be hooked 8)
Paul Webster
Site Admin
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:71   Donalds:45+17
Sub 2000:121   Hewitts:133
Wainwrights:135   Islands:92
Walk wish-list

Postby mountain coward » Wed Sep 23, 2009 10:42 pm

Sounds like you had a great day out! It's funny how some people become more sociable up hills (and some unfortunately go the other way) - I'm one of those people and am really chatty in the hills - don't usually speak to anyone I don't know at ground level though - weird! I suppose you know you're speaking to fairly like-minded people who have something in common with you...
mountain coward

Postby Alan S » Wed Sep 23, 2009 11:09 pm

well done to you both
ben lomond was my first munro and i havent looked back,im sure there will be plenty more to come now that youve caught the bug :D
unfortunetly the mist will make an appearence from time to time, i think it follows me around the munros

good 1st report

alan
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

Postby hills » Thu Sep 24, 2009 12:24 pm

Very well done, I suspect ben lomond is a first hill for many, probably the first of quite a few for you, gets a bit addictive this. 8)
hills
Hill Bagger

Munros:255   Corbetts:170
Fionas:172   Donalds:88
Sub 2000:191   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:32   Islands:34

Postby yokehead » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:58 pm

Well done and congrats on your first Munro (first of many?). 8) Your early start paid off to give you the hill to yourselves, always worthwhile in my view. Nothing against fellow walkers, as you say they're mostly a friendly bunch, but a busy noisy hill isn't quite the same!
yokehead

Munros:73   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:118
Wainwrights:23   

Postby EmmaBemma » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:10 pm

Ben Lomond was my first too! I went up it in jeans, a hoodie and knackered old Converse. The weather was much as in your report, but I loved it anyway, especially running all the way down. (that was in my early twenties, before I bothered about fripperies like knees).

I like the way most people say hello too. I go out on my own but it's still nice to see a friendly face every once in a while.

Good report, hope it's the first of many.
EmmaBemma
Wanderer

Munros:38   

Postby kevsbald » Fri Sep 25, 2009 4:46 pm

Scary - your husband looks like my great Uncle Davy.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland