walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A week in Kinlochewe: Beinn an Eoin

A week in Kinlochewe: Beinn an Eoin

Postby bootsandpaddles » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:03 am

Route description: Beinn an Eoin, near Gairloch

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn an Eoin

Date walked: 11/03/2012

Time taken: 7 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The forecast was a bit grim (high winds, rain) so we decided against doing anything too exciting and opted for Beinn an Eoin and Baosbheinn. It all started well enough as we parked next to the green shed near Loch Bad an Sgalaig. There are lots of way marked routes through the recently planted native pinewood, which covers a huge area. In 100 years time it will be truly magnificent. The sun came out briefly - but these are the last photos until sometime in the afternoon when we were walking back out to the car!
DSCN0888.JPG
DSCN0890.JPG

After about 5km we reached some stepping stones which we crossed without too much trouble. The rocky buttress of Beinn an Eoin loomed out of the mist ahead as we left the path and crossed rough ground to the bottom of the north ridge. Then it was steeply up to the main ridge where we were blasted by the wind as we trudged through the driving rain. Every now and then we had to stop and wait for the wind to drop before we could proceed but eventually the ridge narrowed (there would have been good views of Beinn Eighe, Beinn Dearg I think) and we arrived at the summit. No hanging about, we continued straight on along the ridge, descending some awkward rocky bits before turning west and dropping down to the bothy on Loch na h-Oidhche.
04 Loch na h-Oidhche.JPG
No wind, no rain, a good sheltered spot for lunch.
03.JPG
Looking through the window of the bothy we could see that that they have duvets on the bunks – very posh! We had intended to walk back over Baosbheinn but I’m afraid neither of us was up for another pressure washing and we just walked along the lochside and over the stepping stones again. With all the rain this proved a little more challenging than on the way in.
stepping stones.JPG
DSCN0892.JPG

We did vary our homeward route, however, by turning off the main track and following a yellow way marked route which followed the Abhainn a’Gharbh Choire towards Loch Bad an Sgalaig.
DSCN0897.JPG
As we walked past a collapsed bridge I said “If you had to you could still manage to get across that bridge”. Several minutes later we were back at the bridge and my bluff was called. Katie went first and started off a cheval. This looked above and beyond the call of duty to me and I adopted a different technique!
crossing the bridge.JPG
Thankfully the bridge at the bottom of the gorge was OK and we reached the car without further excitement.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

bootsandpaddles

Munros:282   Corbetts:103
Donalds:7

Re: A week in Kinlochewe: Beinn an Eoin

Postby LeithySuburbs » Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:47 pm

Always fancied this hill and it's neighbour :) . Cheers :D .
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Re: A week in Kinlochewe: Beinn an Eoin

Postby honey_munster » Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:48 pm

a pity you didn't get a view from the top as Beinn an Eoin is one of the best viewpoints for the Torridon hills.

http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7088

still, at least you've got a second chance to get a view when you go back to enjoy Baosbheinn
honey_munster

Munros:282   Corbetts:51
Fionas:5   Donalds:14
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:6   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland