walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Sometime you do get views from the summit

Sometime you do get views from the summit

Postby kmsharp » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:04 am

Corbetts included on this walk: Broad Law

Donalds included on this walk: Broad Law, Talla Cleuch Head

Date walked: 18/03/2012

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 15 km

Ascent: 788m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Finally the weather lives up to the forecast, what a great day.

I parked in the lay-by just before the bridge to Hearthstane Farm heading south on the A701. The first part of this route follows the access track that runs up through the forest onto the northwest shoulder of Broad Law. The track is quite steep in places, but is in good condition. There's been some felling which gives great views.

IMG_3136.jpg
Looking west to Great Knock.

IMG_3143.jpg
Looking east to Culter Fell.

IMG_3145.jpg
Talla Cleuch Head and Mathieside Cairn.

Once on the open hillside I continued to follow the track up to the NATS beacon near the summit of Broad Law.

IMG_3151.jpg
NATS Talla Beacon on Broad Law.

There was a slight breeze on the summit, but it was gloriously sunny. I stopped and had some food before setting off for my second summit of the day - Talla Cleuch Head. Heading south I followed the quad bike tracks beside the fence to Cairn Law.

IMG_3159.jpg
Talla Cleuch Head and the ridge back down the valley.

From Cairn Law I headed west and then northwest onto the summit of Talla Cleuch Head. There were some great views south to Garelet Dod and Talla Reservoir.

IMG_3161.jpg
Games Hope Burn and Garelet Dod.

IMG_3165.jpg
Talla Reservoir.

After stopping to admire the views I head northwest following the ridge over Snout Hill and Manyleith Head to Hog Hill (what great names). I was rewarded with one last view of Culter Fell before I dropped back down to Hearthstane Farm and the car.

IMG_3173.jpg
Culter Fell.

All in all a great day's walking. By starting early, I was walking by 8:15am, I definitely got the best of the weather. By the time I got back to the car the cloud was building and the breeze had picked up a bit. This is a simple route, which would be suitable for beginners. The second half of the walk, from Broad Law onwards, could get quite boggy.

Broad Law and Talla Cleuch Head.GPX Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

kmsharp

Munros:2   Corbetts:8
Fionas:25   Donalds:82
Sub 2000:8   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:2   

Re: Sometime you do get views from the summit

Postby Mountainlove » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:15 pm

Looks like a great day out with some amazing views...you are right about the weather sometimes it pays off to get up early! :D
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland