walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

More snow in May than superman got in March!

More snow in May than superman got in March!

Postby dogplodder » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:10 am

Route description: Mullach Clach a' Bhlàir

Munros included on this walk: Mullach Clach a' Bhlàir

Date walked: 15/05/2010

Distance: 23 km

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Inspired by Monty's epic walk in the sunshine this is a report on the same area to show the contrast in snow coverage between May 2010 and March 2012.

Our plan had been to climb Monadh Mor and Beinn Bhrotain which we knew would take us a while so we'd kept it for the long daylight of May. We parked a kilometre north of Achlean and took the Hunter's Path up the hillside on the east side of Glen Feshie.

Views west into Strath Spey
DSC01220-larges.jpg

Distant Loch Insh
DSC01221-larges.jpg

The path crossed more snow than we expected and without spikes slowed the pace.

The dots are Evelyn and Moira
DSC01223-larges.jpg

The dogs were exhilerated and raced up and down as we waited
DSC01222-larges.jpg

Then did a bit of digging 8)
DSC01224-larges.jpg

Here they come
DSC01225-larges.jpg

We passed the turn off for Sgor Gaoith and the view ahead was breathtaking. :D

View east to the Cairngorm giants - Braeriach, Angel's Peak and Cairn Toul
DSC01227-larges.jpg

Braeriach (Moira's pic)
Hillwalks 2010 048.jpg

Angel's Peak and flat-topped Cairn Toul
DSC01229-larges.jpg

View south over Moine Mhor
DSC01228-larges.jpg

Our intended target, Monadh Mor (Moira's pic)
Hillwalks 2010 051.jpg

That's the spot - scratch right there!
DSC01230-larges.jpg

With the unexpected coverage of snow our collective speed was slow so the decision was taken with some regret that we didn't have time to make our intended target of Monadh Mor and Beinn Bhrotain. Personally I was more concerned about how cold it was going to be wading across the Eidart burn if it was in spate! :lol: So we had a change of plan and turned right to head for Mullach Clach a' Bhlair which Evelyn and Moira had climbed before but I hadn't (so a tick for me then - thanks girls! :D )

That view again
DSC01232-larges.jpg

North to Sgor Gaoith
DSC01233-larges.jpg

Hobbit house
Hillwalks 2010 053.jpg

Dogs patiently waiting while we ate lunch :D
DSC01234-larges.jpg

Maps out to check the route
Hillwalks 2010 059.jpg

We headed across the tundra
DSC01236-larges.jpg

Until we reached the landrover track which seems a bit misplaced in this wide open wilderness!
DSC01239-larges.jpg

Did I mention it was cold? It was so cold that even the cairn had its pink woolly hat on.
Hillwalks 2010 061.jpg

Summit cairn of Mullach Clach a' Bhlair
DSC01240-larges.jpg

We followed the track down which went through lots of snow requiring careful footwork (Moira's pic).
Hillwalks 2010 063.jpg

We skirted the edge of Coire Garbhlach which at one point had quite an impressive drop.

Coire Garbhlach (Moira's pic)
Hillwalks 2010 067.jpg

We maybe should have taken the high path cutting the corner but instead headed down to the river to find a pleasant area of meadow and old pine trees. So we had to stop there for a wee drink and a blether. :D

Looks like I've got a touch of snow blindness from all that snow and sun!
Hillwalks 2010 068.jpg

The return to Achlean was longer than it felt it should be and I thought I'd be helpful and go ahead so I could bring the car up to the farm to meet the girls. So off I charged, a woman on a mission, until I came to a T junction in the path and didn't know whether to go left or right. I didn't know that if I went right up the hill I would almost immediately come to a left turn into the woods (a dog leg) so because it didn't feel right to go uphill I turned left down towards the river. That was fine for a while but then the path petered out and I ended up traversing an increasingly narrow ledge above the river just because I was too stubborn to turn back. :crazy: Then I came to a raging torrent (well a steep sided burn flowing into the Feshie) so there was more clambering and huffing and puffing to get up the side of it and find a place to cross. By this time the other two (who had taken the correct turning at the dog leg) were ahead of me and on the far side of the burn. So much for trying to be helpful! :oops:

There was another burn in spate to cross which had the dogs a bit anxious until I found a place to jump over and after that it was an easy walk up the glen to where we left the car.

But what a contrast with Monty's walk the other day with hardly any snow visible!
Last edited by dogplodder on Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:25   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Re: More snow in May than superman got in March!

Postby monty » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:24 pm

Lovely photos Doggplodder and a nice big snow sheet into the bargain. Its hard to beleive the snow has gone so early in the year. There is time enough for it to return mind you but I very much doubt it now.

Interestingly when I walked from the broken bridge throught the forest I eventually came to a Junction where upon the track went right up a hill in the near distance or left down towards the river. I was in a quandry and went right a bit then left a bit then finally decided to go right. I then spied a small path going into the forest and thats the route i took :lol: :lol:
monty

Postby dogplodder » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:52 am

monty wrote:Interestingly when I walked from the broken bridge throught the forest I eventually came to a Junction where upon the track went right up a hill in the near distance or left down towards the river. I was in a quandry and went right a bit then left a bit then finally decided to go right. I then spied a small path going into the forest and thats the route i took :lol: :lol:

I'm glad to know I wasn't the only one in a quandry at that point! My pals coming along behind knew which way to turn as they'd been before but to me it wasn't at all clear and I went wrong. :lol:
dogplodder

Postby ChrisW » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:34 am

A fine report DP with really lovely photos, the one of the two dogs waiting whilst you have lunch is beautiful, all in all that looked like a wonderful day in the hills, even with the tentative snow crossings and *&^%$£*** burn crossing :lol:
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby dogplodder » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:16 am

ChrisW wrote:A fine report DP with really lovely photos, the one of the two dogs waiting whilst you have lunch is beautiful, all in all that looked like a wonderful day in the hills, even with the tentative snow crossings and *&^%$£*** burn crossing :lol:

Thanks Chris. :D It was indeed a great day - even though we ended up summiting a different hill from the ones planned!
dogplodder

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland