walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Chonzie - Yet to be seen!

Ben Chonzie - Yet to be seen!

Postby Gary_G » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:34 pm

Munros included on this walk: Ben Chonzie

Date walked: 19/03/2012

Time taken: 5.5 hours

Distance: 17 km

Ascent: 700m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Though i love hill walking and getting away from it all, its not very often that i get the chance too. In fact, collectively, I probably spend more time on the walkhighlands forums reading the posts and dreaming about Munro Bagging than i do actually up a Munro!

On Monday, it was one of those rare occasions when the kids are at school, the Wife is at work and i had a day off. Time to get the boots on.

I had read an article about Ben Chonzie in Trail magazine (Sorry Walkhighlands, this walk was from Glen Turret, not the one on the Website) a couple of months ago and it sounded ideal . This was owing to the strong winds forecast and the fact that i didn't fancy getting blown of a cliff edge at all (i had work the next day!).

So it was that i arrived at the car park at Loch Turret at about 9.30am. Could i see Ben Chonzie as described in Trail? No. The whole point of coming this way was to get the best view! Oh well, not to worry. I set my Blackberry AP to track my way and plodded on over the Dam to the west side of the Loch and up the track.

DSC02564.JPG
The Dam

DSC02567.JPG
Loch Turret - Ben Chonzie is somewhere

At this point i was sheltered from the wind, which was westerly, and the view up the Loch was lovely. Why don't i do this more often? Progress up the steepish slope to the ridge was slow as my legs had forgotten what it was like to climb hills in this fashion, but i soon hit the ridge, and the wind hit me! Suddenly i was thankful for my windstopper, hat, scarf, gloves etc... that i hadn't really needed 5 feet ago.

Once on the ridge it was easy, just following the fence line roughly and avoiding the boot sucking bog that peppered the way.
DSC02571.JPG
Boggy Marsh

DSC02575.JPG
Following the fence posts

By this time i am well in to the clag and can barely see 20m. I reached a cairn which told me i was at Carn Chois (786m), time for a cup of coffee. Sheltering down behind the cairn i downed the coffee thinking mmm, time to move on. 20m later i hit another cairn, bigger, better, this was Carn Chois!! i was nearly right.

Pressing on, over Meall na Seide and continuing until the ridge turns NE, it was delightful despite the incessant wind. The Moutain Hares that i had read about were plentiful, flashes of white dashing over the boggy terrain. I'm sure i saw a Ptarmigan, but i don't think they come this far south. Eventually, i found the massive cairn / shelter which served its purpose to have lunch in (Ginsters Cornish Pasty - fab) and phone the wife to reassure her that i was still alive.

Next, continuing NE heading down to a bealach, then dropping into the corrie (SE) to reach Lochan Uaine and the long, long, long track back along Loch Turret to the Dam. Luckily, i had had forthought to take some music with me and i rocked my way home to some Led Zepplin.

Hadn't realised how long this walk was going to be (didn't read the article that closely) but the GPS said 17km. No wonder my legs were tired.

On the whole, even though i didnt see Ben Chonzie in any way, shape or form, it was still a good walk.
DSC02585.JPG
Some other hills when the cloud lifted a little

DSC02587.JPG
Horny Toads
Gary_G
Munro compleatist

Munros:18   Corbetts:7
Grahams:5   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:4   Hewitts:21
Wainwrights:29   

Re: Ben Chonzie - Yet to be seen!

Postby basscadet » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:04 pm

Och its just nice to be out.. The clag never really spoils the fun, just the views :)
Looks like a long 'un. good job!
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Grahams:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland