walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cracking day in Glenshee, but who ate all the snow

Cracking day in Glenshee, but who ate all the snow

Postby weescotsman » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:12 am

Route description: The Cairnwell Munros

Munros included on this walk: Càrn a' Ghèoidh, Càrn Aosda, The Cairnwell

Date walked: 21/03/2012

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 11.5 km

Ascent: 595m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Cracking day out yesterday, couldn't have asked for a better day but have to feel some sympathy for Glenshee itself. Hard to run a ski resort with hardly any snow. But it did mean I had virtually the whole area to myself. Only spoke to 1 person at the start, a staff member or maybe the owner ? Saw another couple returning from Carn a'Gheoidh but they were too far away to have a chat with.... :(

Steepest part of the whole day was right at the beginning onto Carn Aosda but even my poor legs made it up there in an hour. Came close to a couple of Ptarmigans which didn't seem overly bothered about me taking a couple of photo's from less than 10 yards away....

P3210019.JPG

Days like this really make me love Scotland even more than I already do when you have such a panorama, I just visualised that all the ski tow gear wasn't really there..... :lol:

On and down towards Loch Vrotachan which shimmered in the sunshine but again I felt totally alone as I don't usually get out midweek so this was a bonus. A slightly boggy climb to the ridge to reach the plateau leading towards Carn a'Gheoidh but nothing too bad at all. Was tempted to go and do the top of Carn Sac on my return but decided against it.

The girl I'd spoken to earlier on said it was possible to do a 4th munro on this side but looking at the map the next nearest munro would be An Socath which would add a fair amount of time to the day. Given I didn't leave the car park till 10 am this wasn't a hard choice to say no. I did think that Carn Bhinnein might have been the munro she was talking about but it's got the height but not the 500 feet drop from Carn a'Gheoidh so would only be a top.

A very flat plateau then a short climb and hey presto I was at target 2 for the day, hadn't taken me an hour to get here from Carn Aosda so I'm well impressed. From here there are fantastic views all around. NW to An Socath, W to Glas Tulaichean and North into Glen Clunie and beyond. Still not A1 in naming / knowing any particular munro just by looking at them but I'm getting there....

Had a quick pitstop lunch in the sheltered cairn at Carn a'Gheoidh as the wind had picked up a bit so it was welcome.
Couple of pics from the cairn here...
P3210036.JPG

P3210037.JPG

Heading back down across the plateau to Cairnwell and as described it probably is the ugliest summit of all the munros with it's Orange mobile phone mast as well as all the ski tow gear.

Didn't take any close up pics of Cairnwell but 1 here isn't too bad as you can only just make out all the crap at the top....
P3210038.JPG

All in a very pleasant day out on the mountains and the next plan is do the 4 peaks on the eastern side of the A93.
weescotsman
Munro compleatist

Munros:116   Corbetts:8
Fionas:1   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:8   

Re: Cracking day in Glenshee, but who ate all the snow

Postby quoman » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:23 am

Good report weescotsman,passed there on monday on our way back from lochnagar and the place was shut it must be hard trying to make it work wi nae snow.
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Jockstar » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:41 am

You had a great day for doing these three. Its great to do 3 Munros by walking up about 200 mtrs and your pics tell the story of the day and the obvious lack of snow. :D Totally agree about the Cairnwell !! :(
Jockstar
Munro compleatist

Munros:53   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:5   

Postby mrssanta » Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:24 pm

Jockstar wrote:You had a great day for doing these three. Its great to do 3 Munros by walking up about 200 mtrs and your pics tell the story of the day and the obvious lack of snow. :D Totally agree about the Cairnwell !! :(

Good views south from the top though
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland