walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Creigh Hill, Corwharn, Cat Law

Creigh Hill, Corwharn, Cat Law

Postby mattmunro » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:06 pm

Route description: Cat Law and Corwharn, Glen Isla

Fionas included on this walk: Cat Law

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Corwharn, Creigh Hill

Date walked: 28/02/2012

Time taken: 7.5 hours

Distance: 28.5 km

Ascent: 1200m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Decided to head East today, fair-weather walker that I am...! It seems lately that most of the decent weather is to be found to the East; maybe this is something I'll have to get used to living in Scotland...
Quite a drive from Glasgow, but I made full use of the day with a long tramp over these heather-covered hills. Got to the start point (bend in the road at NO 285593) at 10.45.
IMG_9246.JPG
Creigh Hill from start

Couldn't believe how warm it was for February! Wearing just a base layer on top, I headed back along the road for half a mile to 285584, where I gained the open hillside to tackle my "starter" for the day, Creigh Hill. Heading up the track alongside the forest at first, I branched off at around the 350m contour to head WSW for the south top.
IMG_9256.JPG
slopes of Creigh Hill

IMG_9261.JPG
Cat Law from S top of Creigh Hill

IMG_9264.JPG
White Mounth from S top

IMG_9265.JPG
Backwater Reservoir, White Mounth

IMG_9266.JPG
Mount Blair, Mealna Letter

Nearing the top, Driesh and Mayar and the clutch of White Mounth munros started to come into view, and I reached the sprawling cairn with a grin on my face... back in the hills again! It was great to look across and reminisce about long days on Lochnagar and Glas Maol, although the higher summits were shrouded in mist today. A quick bite to eat, then off to the Marilyn summit. From here, I could see the majority of the day's route ahead of me... I'd have to get some pace on to get back before dark though!
IMG_9269.JPG
Cat Law from Creigh Hill

A mile further north along the ridge took me to the cleft in the hills marked as Craig Of Balloch.
IMG_9279.JPG
Craig of Balloch

A steep descent into the cleft, then L to a nice little gully at 271614. I followed the gully N, then picked a way through the heather to reach the 503m spot height and start of the ridge to Corwharn.
IMG_9288.JPG
Ridge to Corwharn

IMG_9290.JPG
Badandun Hill ( I think)

IMG_9295.JPG
back to Creigh Hill

IMG_9297.JPG
Driesh, Hill Of Strone

This section was more about the compelling views to the N and NW than the terrain close at hand. To my left, Mount Blair looked sullen under a dark cloud. It always seems to me to look higher than it actually is, maybe because of its isolated position. An ugly bulldozed track took me to to the unremarkable summit of Corwharn. Here I was greeted by several mountain hares in their white winter coats. I thought how easy a target they must be for birds of prey when there's no snow around...
IMG_9309.JPG
N from Corwharn summit

IMG_9311.JPG
Cat Law from Corwharn

After lunch near the cairn, I headed E to continue along the ridge over Hill of Adenaich and Finlet. From here I could see extensive heather burning taking place on the nearby slopes. Must have been a good day for it; light wind and dry ground.
IMG_9337.JPG
heather burning

Beyond Finlet, I cut down to the band of forestry leading down to Glenuig, disturbing several young deer in the process. Cat Law, Graham no.2, stood ahead of me.
IMG_9341.JPG
Cat Law from Finlet

IMG_9347.JPG
Cat Law from Glenuig

I headed WNW into the upper reaches of the glen, slowly regaining height through the narrow defile of Craigie Shiel. At the top of the pass, 297643, I picked up a tiny spur, heading around a tiny corrie (mountain form in miniature!), then up to Tarapetmile. Legs tiring by this point, I got some energy on board before heading over Cormaud to begin the steady push to Cat Law summit. Looking back from this slope I got the best views of the day, although the cloud base had descended to 800m or so. From here I could see the whole route.
IMG_9368.JPG
down into Glenuig

IMG_9375.JPG
descending cloudbase on ascent to Cat Law

IMG_9388.JPG
S from Cat Law summit

IMG_9391.JPG
E from Cat Law summit

I didn't stay too long at the top as I had about 45 mins of light left, and was improvising the last bit... I'd gone off the edge of my map after leaving Cat Law summit! It turned out to be a very straightforward and pleasant descent SW on a grassy track all the way to the road at 297586.
IMG_9408.JPG
sunset on descent

IMG_9417.JPG

From here, it was just under a mile of road back to the car, passing the derelict Balintore Castle.... It looked rather eery in the dusk. Would be nice to see it restored one day...

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Attachments
IMG_9279.JPG
Craig of Balloch
mattmunro
Mountaineer

Munros:115   Corbetts:47
Fionas:67   Donalds:70
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:297
Wainwrights:133   Islands:3

Re: Creigh Hill, Corwharn, Cat Law

Postby Graeme D » Fri Mar 23, 2012 2:27 pm

Interesting stuff Matt. I've been on the lookout for info on Creigh Hill and the neighbouring Subs, so this will come in very handy. Hope to get an evening outing up that way next month.
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Re: Creigh Hill, Corwharn, Cat Law

Postby Gable Gable End » Fri Mar 23, 2012 3:17 pm

great report and an interesting route!
Gable Gable End
Mountaineer

Munros:64   Corbetts:6
Fionas:4   
Sub 2000:7   

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland