walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Lomond

Ben Lomond

Postby skuk007 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:58 pm

Route description: Ben Lomond

Munros included on this walk: Ben Lomond

Date walked: 14/09/2009

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 11 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Last day of a long weekend so decided to tackle Ben Lomond. Another early start from Crianlarich Youth Hostel and a long drive around the bottom of the loch to the Rowardennan car park. The weather was meant to be another glorious
day but all the way to the start I didn't see the summit once because of the clouds.

Started at 08:20. Didn't think I would have as much trouble as I did finding the start of the route. I knew it was a popular route and I was sort of expecting a big arrow saying "This way to Ben Lomond". Have read trossachsgirl's report on Ben Lomond since and the first image shows the sign I missed.

I even asked a local looking chap and he sent me the wrong way! I studied the map again. There is a telephone box directly opposite the Rowardennan Hotel, I went through the gate to the left of this, followed a trail through the ferns and after 5 minutes or so found myself on what looked like the tourist path. It was a bit confusing as my map showed the path going through trees to the left and right, however, there weren't any to the left so I am guessing they have been chopped.

It is a very good path and I soon found myself walking into the clouds. Occasionally there would be a break and I caught a glimpse of the mountain.

Ben Lomond 01.jpg

I didn't see a single person all the way up until very near the top when I saw someone in the distant following me. I wasn't expecting to see much once I got to the summit but about 15 minutes from the top I seemed to pass through the cloud and I was presented with a fantastic blue sky.

Ben Lomond 02.jpg

Took a picture looking over the steep face to the North where there were a few peaks poking through the cloud.

Ben Lomond 03.jpg

Got to the top at 10:35 and took the obligatory trig point/walking pole picture.

Ben Lomond 04.jpg

It was very peaceful being own my own. I took the time to look all round and try to identify the peaks poking through the clouds. I'm not very good at that, I don't know many yet, but I did recognise Beinn Ime from the walk I did two days earlier. I think the cloud was just too high to expose Ben Arthur. I wouldn't really call this a cloud inversion as there were still plenty of big gaps where I could see the loch. I wanted to stay longer than I did but I knew I had a long drive (Bristol) ahead of me so set off after some grub.

I decided to go down the Ptarmigan route as I had heard how good it was. Coming off the summit to the path was quite steep which found me clambering over some rocks but nothing too scarey. Took a picture looking back up once I had got onto a flatter bit.

Ben Lomond 05.jpg

Started meeting a few more people who were going up. Not sure I would have done it this way round as there were quite a few, lenghty steep slopes going down. At one point I saw a shrew/mouse type creature (wildlife isn't my strong point) in the middle of the path and when he saw me he ran to the edge a pretended to be a small stone.

Ben Lomond 06.jpg

The sun was quite strong now. I met a guy with a spade making his way up the path. He had to walk the path clearing
the drainage tracks as recent heavy rain had meant these had filled with mud. I was thinking first of all that he had probably drawn the short straw as this didn't look like a job for a sunny day, however, I did like the view from his office window.

Took another couple of pictures looking down to the loch.

Ben Lomond 07.jpg

Ben Lomond 08.jpg

This path was straightforward to follow. Where it joined the road I was expecting to see another sign but there wasn't any. I'm sure it would be another one I would have missed. The path joined the road immediately to the North of Ben Lomond cottage which is just past the Ranger Station.

Easy stroll back to the car which I reached at 12:35. Couldn't resist dipping my hot aching feet in the cold loch.
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Re: Ben Lomond

Postby benno » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:00 pm

Lovely pictures, nice one catching one of that creature!
benno

Munros:248   Corbetts:27
Grahams:10   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:27   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:9   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland