walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

An Epic Day Out In The Cairngorms

An Epic Day Out In The Cairngorms

by Del246 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:28 pm

Route description: Càrn a'Mhaim from the Linn of Dee

Munros included on this walk: Ben Macdui, Càrn a' Mhàim

Date walked: 22/03/2012

Time taken: 9.25 hours

Distance: 30 km

Ascent: 1200m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: An Epic Day Out In The Cairngorms

Postby Del246 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:00 pm

PeteR wrote:That's a fantastic report and fantastic pictures too 8) :D Here's hoping for more days like that for us all on the hills (the sunny and not windy ones :D)

Some amazing views toward the Devil's Point and Macdui :D The blue sky just makes the view all the more impressive 8) Not a bad few days in the hills :thumbup:

It was a good few days in the hills ! Although I now need to start earning new brownie points for future trips :lol:
Del246
Munro compleatist

Munros:105   Corbetts:15
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   

Postby LeithySuburbs » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:05 pm

Cracking stuff :D . Did this route the other way round last year and loved it :) .
LeithySuburbs
Ambler

Munros:259   Corbetts:56
Fionas:29   Donalds:33
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:23   Islands:13

Postby Del246 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:23 pm

mrssanta wrote:
Meatball wrote:Sadly my Jedi mind tricks failed when trying to get him to go down the "real" escape route via Derry Cairngorm. Hey ho, I have a plan B for that one!

Hee hee that would have been a cracking day!!

Please,please do not encourage him !!! :lol:
Del246
Munro compleatist

Postby Del246 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 10:03 am

Meatball wrote:Great report Del!

Yesterday was a Carslberg day, cracking weather, cracking scenery and as for the company....well at least the weather was nice!

We did Cairngorm (via Northern Corries) the Macdui on Tuesday but the visibilty was poor, it was cold and the gale force winds topped it off!
So when I knew I was on an adjoining hill, the forecast was superb, it made sense to burn off a few more calories and see what Macdui is really like! Well, it did to me!

Sadly my Jedi mind tricks failed when trying to get him to go down the "real" escape route via Derry Cairngorm. Hey ho, I have a plan B for that one!

All joking aside, Del has been struggling with the lurgy and it was clearly affecting him yesterday but he ploughed on regardless! Del also doesn't like heights but that was the most comfortable that I have seen him. So genuinely my hat is off to him, it was a great effort!
I also owe Del's Mrs a sorry....it was my fault we were late home....my bad...sorry!

Anyhoo, what's next?

Thanks Meatball. It's been a great week and I feel I'm improving/learning all the time. Even although I struggle to follow navigation cairns ! Lol
Del246
Munro compleatist

Postby tomyboy73 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:15 am

Well done Del, great pics and looked like a great day out :D
tomyboy73
Mountain Walker

Munros:186   Corbetts:40
Fionas:9   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:6   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:3   Islands:5
Walk wish-list

Postby jonny616 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:56 am

Fantastic stuff 8) I really must start heading to the gorms :D
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby Del246 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:42 pm

Johnny Corbett wrote:Cracking photos, thats the kind of weather you want when you're in the Cairngorms :thumbup:

Cheers, the weather was perfect even though I got sunburn in March !! :shock:
Del246
Munro compleatist

Postby Del246 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 11:06 pm

LeithySuburbs wrote:Cracking stuff :D . Did this route the other way round last year and loved it :) .

Cheers. I have completed Macdui from Linn of Dee and from the Aviemore side. I dont know which route I prefer :?
Del246
Munro compleatist

Postby Del246 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:21 pm

tomyboy73 wrote:Well done Del, great pics and looked like a great day out :D

Thanks Tommy. I completed another 2 today, thats 8 this week !! Im going back to work for a rest :lol:
Del246
Munro compleatist

Postby Driver84 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:49 pm

Del246 wrote:I have completed Macdui from Linn of Dee and from the Aviemore side. I dont know which route I prefer

Del, for me having, only done it from Aviemore via Cairngorm, and viewing your pictures - I'd have to say Linn of Dee looks the better route!

Fantastic pictures of what I would describe also as an epic day out!

I'm planning to do The Devils Point to Braeriach from the Linn of Dee, coming out at the sugarbowl carpark, but your pictures of The Devil has now made it look like it'll be a real slog up :? But I now feel inspired to go do this mountain for my own taster of the views! :D

Driver84
Mountaineer

Munros:46   
Fionas:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Del246 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:30 pm

jonny616 wrote:Fantastic stuff 8) I really must start heading to the gorms :D

Cheers and your right, you must get yourself upto the Cairngorms !!
Del246
Munro compleatist

Postby Del246 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:39 pm

Driver84 wrote:
Del246 wrote:I have completed Macdui from Linn of Dee and from the Aviemore side. I dont know which route I prefer

Del, for me having, only done it from Aviemore via Cairngorm, and viewing your pictures - I'd have to say Linn of Dee looks the better route!

Fantastic pictures of what I would describe also as an epic day out!

I'm planning to do The Devils Point to Braeriach from the Linn of Dee, coming out at the sugarbowl carpark, but your pictures of The Devil has now made it look like it'll be a real slog up :? But I now feel inspired to go do this mountain for my own taster of the views! :D

I think your right, the Linn of Dee is the better route, although its a long long walk in. However that is compensated by the fantastic scenery 8) . When we go back for the Devils Point we are taking our bikes up. I must admit after getting a close up of the Devils Point it did look a steep ascent :( When we did Ben Macdui from Cairngorm we left the path and cut across the top of the Corries which is also quite spectacular. Glad you enjoyed the report, cheers.
Del246
Munro compleatist

11 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland