walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Creag Leacach- finishing the Glas Maol Munros

Creag Leacach- finishing the Glas Maol Munros

Postby nathan79 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:29 pm

Munros included on this walk: Creag Leacach

Date walked: 21/03/2012

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 7 km

Ascent: 650m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

21.3.2012 Creag Leacach.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

An afternoon free to do something. Glenshee is a relatively short 60mile drive and it was a perfect opportunity to bag Creag Leacach, the only Glenshee Munro i had left to do. On my circuit of the Glas Maol side, There just wasn't enough daylight left to squeeze in CL and bag the full 4.

Parked up about 11:30. 1 other car there. Half a roll and a muffin and i booted up and set off.
Tough slog up the side of Meall Gorm, especially since i'd elected to head up through the heathery slopes and follow a deer/sheep path rather than follow the stream then head up the steep grassy slopes.
I'd hope i'd be sheltered from the sun for most of the ascent, alas i wasn't so the jacket came off and the sunglasses went on.
Glad to reach the start of the rocky stuff en route to the SW top of CL. Spotted a hare here, bounding away from me across the rocks. Dumped my bag at the cairn here, stopped for a couple of sun-kissed pics and travelled light towards the summit. Didn't get the pose right for this pic, but i'll post it anyway.
IMG_0049.JPG
monkeying around

Easy travelling unburdened by a bag and i was soon at the summit cairn. Exchanged a hello with a woman heading the other way here, the only other soul i saw all day.
IMG_0060.JPG
Creag Leacach summit

Starting to cloud over a bit here, but still good views. Heather burning going on over the other side of the A85.
IMG_0057.JPG

Didn't hang here too long, mainly because my lunch was in my bag back at the top! Made my way back and caught sight of a pair of ptarmigan atop the dyke running along the ridge. Grabbed a couple of snaps before they flew off but i caught them again a little further on and spent a good 30mins watching and snapping them.
Cloudy skies and a blowing breeze meant the jacket, gloves and hat were on for lunch. I'd pondered tagging on Monamech if i had the energy, desire and time, but i'd spent so much time having fun and bothering ptarmigan i just decided to make my way down. Popped up to the summit of Meall Gorm, no pics from here for some reason. Then plodded down the grassy slopes towards the Allt Choir a' Bhathaich.
Easy enough going along the stream, caught sight of a dipper flying about the burn. First one i've seen
Back at the car soon enough, satisfied i cought now say i've done all of the Glenshee 7.

Posted some animal pics over on the wildlife board http://www.walkhighlands.co.uk/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19569
nathan79
Hill Bagger

Munros:103   Corbetts:29
Fionas:13   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:16   Islands:7

Re: Creag Leacach- finishing the Glas Maol Munros

Postby basscadet » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:26 pm

Nice Hill that, by far the best in the area I would say. Love it :D
Looks like you had a good afternoon.. Cant believe you ditched a day sack though, made me :lol: to hear that!
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby Bod » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:05 pm

Whow! That is some pose Nathan and a lovely walk. My favourite hill in Glenshee :D
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:61   Islands:25

Postby ChrisW » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:18 pm

Good stuff as always Nathan but that pose :wtf: ............you look like you were on your way to a squat when the camera went off :lol: great wildlife shots too :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby weescotsman » Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:33 pm

Was probably my car parked that you saw - silver estate - as I was over doing the Cairnwell 3, sure was a cracking day to be out on the mountains, did all 3 in just 4 hrs car to car so was quite chuffed, although to be fair you get a nice high starting point.

Planning on doing the 4 Glas Maol ones when I'm off in April......
weescotsman
Munro compleatist

Munros:116   Corbetts:8
Fionas:1   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:8   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland