walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Broad Gully Stob Coire nan Lochan

Broad Gully Stob Coire nan Lochan

Postby yokehead » Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:14 pm

Date walked: 14/03/2012

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 7.3 km

Ascent: 1130m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

g69.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Had to find some snow, thought this might be the only place besides the Ben! 8.30 start again. Weather the same again, getting depressing! No hardship to be in the coire though, and was on the snow at the foot of the gully in 2 hours so good going. Just enough snow to be continuous but covered with plenty of stones so need to watch out - got the helmet on. So good to be with axe and crampons, the snow surprisingly decent given the warmth. It all looks a sorry state though, dirty stone covered snow. Near the start of the gully, when I was off to the side, a stone came bounding down the snow and onto the boulders raising clouds of dust. No-one else about sending the stones down, only me here, glad I'm not following somebody! The climb was good anyway, an atmospheric place with the mist ahead. I took my time to savour the experience and stopped many times to look at Dorsal Arete - I toyed with the idea of coming back down again and climbing it but it's longer than I thought! The snow went all the way (just) to the ridge. Off with crampons, a bite to eat, and at the summit just under 2 hours after getting to the snow.

I'd planned an easy descent along the east ridge but lazy nav east rather than a bit south of east took me down a steep rib heading north east. From this I moved left to a snow slope, the snow was too hard for just the boot so an unexpected on with the crampons again! This slope turned into a gully further down, and had a steeper section that I descended facing in and with both the axes, absolutely great stuff. The snow ended above a small cliff so I headed east a bit before going north to the plateau. The gully I'd come down is the 1st one to the east of the summit buttress, as I saw later from the AE. There were some folk doing winter skills in the wide gully further east. A good tramp back to the car and a great day.

104_0088.jpg

104_0089.jpg

104_0091.jpg

104_0093.jpg

104_0096.jpg

104_0098.jpg

104_0104.jpg

104_0107.jpg

104_0108.jpg

104_0109.jpg

104_0113.jpg

104_0117.jpg

104_0118.jpg

104_0121.jpg

104_0122.jpg

104_0124.jpg

104_0126.jpg
yokehead

Munros:73   Corbetts:9
Fionas:1   
Hewitts:118
Wainwrights:23   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland