walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Vorlich

Ben Vorlich

Postby DarrenJeffrey » Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:07 pm

Route description: Ben Vorlich and Stùc a' Chròin

Munros included on this walk: Ben Vorlich (Loch Earn)

Date walked: 24/03/2012

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Was swithering between Mount Keen and Lochnagar this weekend seeing as the weather was meant to be good. Had a last minute change of mind last night and decided to head up Ben Vorlich from Loch Earn. Haven’t been up a Munro since I damaged my knee cap earlier in the year so it was with a slight feeling of trepidation that I pulled up beside Loch Earn around 9am this morning.

Plenty of people camping and fishing and there was already a fair amount of cars parked up when I arrived. Thankfully managed to get parked near the little bridge which gives access to the walk. Headed of into the fog wondering if the weather would indeed be as nice as promised or if I was destined to see yet another Munro covered in clag.
Headed up the road and met a lovely couple with a couple of Westies who where straining on the leash to get their wee teeth in to my lab Zeus. Got pulled up by a grumpy old gent in a landrover near the house for having my dog off his lead so swiftly stuck him back on to avoid any hassle. He doesn’t care for sheep in the slightest so as we got out of site of the house the lead was slipped off and he was free to enjoy his hike as much as me.
As I haven’t been out in a while I was really huffing and puffing for the first half an hour and I began to wonder if I had maybe bitten off more than I could chew but thankfully the second wind kicked in and the fog began to lift and started to enjoy the walk and views.
Made the summit trig in good time and by this point the sun was out and the views where simply stunning. Only thing I need to remember is to pack a t-shirt so I can enjoy the sun a bit more. Seems like such a long time ago that I have been able to comfortably wear a t-shirt in this country. Anyway had a great walk and already planning next week’s hike as I type.
Nice little water feature on the approach road

Zeusy Boy grabbing a drink

Fair bit of clag on the ascent

Either Ben More or Stobinien

Even with the fog views are still pretty decent

Clag starts to clear

Obligatory summit trig shot

Stuch a Croin?

Well deserved rest

Can’t remember what way I was pointing taking this

Another wee Drinky

DarrenJeffrey
Munro compleatist

Munros:141   Corbetts:10
Fionas:8   Donalds:12
Sub 2000:20   

Re: Ben Vorlich

Postby Tomsie » Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:50 pm

Glad your knee held up, nice photo's of the dog.

Hope for more of this weather next weekend again :D
Tomsie
Walker

Munros:167   Corbetts:71
Fionas:38   Donalds:36
Sub 2000:21   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:8

Postby DarrenJeffrey » Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:48 pm

Tomsie wrote:Glad your knee held up, nice photo's of the dog.

Hope for more of this weather next weekend again :D

Thanks mate, think I might head up Ben Vane tomorrow as it is meant to be as high as 18 degrees :shock:
DarrenJeffrey
Munro compleatist

Postby ScottishLeaf » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:26 am

Good to see your peg held up!
ScottishLeaf
Hill Bagger

Munros:114   Corbetts:6
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:6   
Islands:11

Postby DarrenJeffrey » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:35 pm

ScottishLeaf wrote:Good to see your peg held up!

Thanks mate :thumbup:
DarrenJeffrey
Munro compleatist

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland