walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Above the clouds for Corranaich and Choire a'Leith

Above the clouds for Corranaich and Choire a'Leith

Postby nathan79 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:33 am

Route description: Meall Corranaich and Meall a'Choire Lèith

Munros included on this walk: Meall a' Choire Lèith, Meall Corranaich

Date walked: 24/03/2012

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 6.45 km

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A day not to be wasted according to the forecast, so after a relaxing Friday i dragged my carcass out of bed early and headed for the Lawers range. A special place in my heart as my first Munros had been Beinn Ghlas and Ben Lawers a couple of years ago. Today it was Meall's Corranaich and a' Choire Leith on the hit-list.
Foggy Fife gave me hope for some nice inversion pics as i set off.
Surprised to see a crew working on the new parking area as i was nearing the parking area. Unsurprisingly there were a good few cars dotted around already.
Parked along from the first parking area for these two as it was already full and there were were 3 other cars and their drivers getting there gear together. I didn't hang about. Boots on, bag hoisted and on my way through the mist at 9:30.
IMG_0073.JPG
Meall what? Where?

As hoped things got better as i got higher over the boggy ground. Meall nan Tarmachan revealled itself.
MnT pano canon.jpg

A big herd of deer in the distance as i made my way up.
DSCF4572.JPG
mmmm venison

Clear to see where i was going now. Kept my eyes on three guys in front of me for an indication of the best route through the bog-thoughts of Johnny616's recent mishap in my mind!
Fine views to the south of Beinn Ghlas and Meall nan Tarmachan, the odd peak jutting out of the sea of cloud in the background.
Looking back what i thought at first was fenceposts was a procession of about 15 walkers i was determined not to let catch me.
Up at the SW summit of Corranaich in about 1hr 30m. Chilly breeze but fine views to be had. Stopped for a few pics and set off after a few hellos to the group, who'd caught me up then strolled on to the main summit.
IMG_0096.JPG
Meall Corranaich summit

Pressed on for Meall a'Choire Leath. It got warmer and sunnier as i got nearer so it was off with the jacket and on with the shades. Twice in a week i've been forced to don those bad boys!
One welcome patch of snow to cross, good to be reminded of how it sounded and felt to crunch across that blessed white stuff.
DSCF4591.JPG
looking back across the snow field

Quick work of the ascent to the second hill of the day and wonderful conditions awaited at the top.
IMG_0104.JPG

IMG_0107.JPG
Meall a' Choire Leith summit

DSCF4593.JPG

Fantastic views all round up here and the weather was totally tropical. I swear i have a slight tan. Sat down for lunch and savoured the views up here for a while.
DSCF4596.JPG
Meall Garbh, An Stuc, Ben Lawers, Beinn Ghlas and Meall Corranaich

Only 1pm at this point so i made my way down debating nipping along the road to bag Meall Buidhe as a bonus. Decided agaisnt this and just casually made my way back to the car. MAking my way across the bogs again was rather fun. Managed not to pick my steps well and never had to curse myself for not putting the gaiters on. I loved the sound of every squelchy squidgy step.
Back at the car before 2 for a coffee before i set off home. The pics don't do the views justice, i think this goes down as my top hill day. Even though it was a short one, i think the heat had drained me and i was knackered as i drove home back to Fife, where it was still shrouded in mist.
nathan79
Hill Bagger

Munros:103   Corbetts:29
Fionas:13   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:16   Islands:7

Re: Above the clouds for Corranaich and Choire a'Leith

Postby ChrisW » Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:44 am

That must be close to the perfect day Nathan, love the shot of Meall nan Tarmachan - lovely- looking at the reports of late there seems to be a bit of an early summer kicking in over there :thumbup: :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby nathan79 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:42 pm

If i'd somehow magically awoken on the summit of Meall a'Choire Leith and someone had told me it was actually the middle of July, i'd have had no trouble believing them.
nathan79
Hill Bagger

Munros:103   Corbetts:29
Fionas:13   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:16   Islands:7

Postby jonny616 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 3:01 pm

Great stuff Nathan. Love the second pic. Be sure & bring this weather, as well as that venison, with you next weekend :lol:
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland