walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Chonzie from Glen Lednock

Ben Chonzie from Glen Lednock

Postby ngm1scot » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:03 pm

Route description: Ben Chonzie via Glen Lednock

Munros included on this walk: Ben Chonzie

Date walked: 17/03/2012

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 12.5 km

Ascent: 712m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After a long long wait through the winter, at last the weather actually cleared for a Saturday and I decided to do my first solo Munro as my climbing buddy was otherwise engaged. Even from the distance I could see that Chonzie was snow covered on top
PICT2171.JPG
the picture doesn't really show it too well.
Once I arrived at the car park, I met a well seasoned climber, Willie Rankin who kept me company nearly all the way to the top and regaled me with stories I couldn't possibly repeat here. So there are few pictures on the way up as a result. But this is the start of the walk
PICT2174.JPG
Everyone has said this is a boring mountain and I had decided that before writing this report I wouldn't even use the word but I have now. I think the challenge with it is that until you reach the cairn (see later) it's an easy landrover track nearly all the way to the top and I think you could probably go higher still on the main track than I did.
PICT2178.JPG
So it's not boring, its just easy.
I learned loads from Willie on the way up - don't over layer yourself at the start. Put on the layers when it gets cold. Really sensible but not obvious to a novice like myself.
I quickly experience his wisdom though as the weather changed rapidly from a bright sunny day to a dark snow storm with winds rushing across the hillside. I had never experienced such a rapid change in weather ever before and I now know why you need to go prepared on the Scottish hills.
PICT2179.JPG
Many people apparently miss the cairn but just watch for when the Lednock burn comes level with the track and you'll be fine. Cross over on to the hill and through some initially very boggy and muddy ground
PICT2196.JPG
then you pretty much go straight up (that's Willie in the yellow just below the top)
PICT2181.JPG

Once you get on to the long plateau, its a simple trek to the summit at the far end. I even enjoyed crossing over the chunk of snow without the benefit of crampons.
PICT2195.JPG

The views were great of course
PICT2188.JPG
PICT2189.JPG
PICT2190.JPG
I hadn't been aware of the Lednock burn on the way up but it really is beautiful - loads of tiny waterfalls all the way down. The sound is amazing, contrasting between the stillness and the crunch of the walking boots on the path.
It does feel along way back though!
Attachments
PICT2200.JPG
ngm1scot
Munro compleatist

Munros:54   Corbetts:2
Grahams:1   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:7   

Re: Ben Chonzie from Glen Lednock

Postby 2dalmatians » Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:20 pm

Congratulations on your first solo. Good report and great first picture - love the big candy floss cloud :lol:
2dalmatians
Mountaineer

Munros:38   Corbetts:3
Grahams:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:7   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland