walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A day of firsts - Ben Ledi

A day of firsts - Ben Ledi

Postby lindindin » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:41 pm

Route description: Ben Ledi

Corbetts included on this walk: Ben Ledi

Date walked: 25/03/2012

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 10 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was to be a day of firsts. I grew up in the Alps and have spent some time in the Pyrenees, but despite having lived in Scotland for over five years now, I have never been hillwalking in this lovely country - until today! my flatmate had never been properly hillwalking either, so it was a first for her. We went along with two Scots friends and picked Ben Ledi for something a bit different.
We set out very very early from Glasgow - leaving the flat at 6am -, because we had a rental car that would need to be returned by 16:45. the drive there was intensely foggy, but I didn't worry too much about the weather coming up; the past few days had been nice as well.

After some trouble finding a parking spot, we set out to conquer that Corbett.

it was still quite foggy to begin with and the people who wrote our guide weren't kidding when they said the initial path through the woods is quite steep: it was intense. But once above that, the going was good. We only met one crazy man jogging(!) down the mountain who must have gone up crazy early, and someone else caught up with us just before the summit and kindly took our picture. When we had a nice brunch-break up there, a couple more people passed.

Image the sun starting to break through.

Image stone steps.

the directions I had printed said to "not be tempted to cut through the craggy outcrops, they are steeper than they look". You don't say?
Image said crags.

Imagethe second of the three rather steep false summits.

Image at the top! I'm on the right :)

Imagethe way down Stank Glen!

not content with just looking at the waterfall from the path, we climbed down to it:
Image it was quite steep and I wouldn't recommend it to people who have never gorge-walked; but it was fun and in summer, we'd probably have continued down in the burn.

So first Scottish hillwalking for me, first hillwalking for my flatmate, first corbett for both of us, first time up Ben Ledi for the boys! EDIT: oh, and my first post on walkhighlands! Loved it and we're out again next Saturday, probably on The Cobbler. :)
Last edited by lindindin on Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lindindin
Wanderer

Corbetts:1
Sub 2000:1   

Re: A day of firsts - Ben Ledi

Postby 2dalmatians » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:44 pm

Nice report. Was going to suggest the cobbler/arrochar alps as you can get public transport from Glasgow.
2dalmatians
Walker

Munros:38   Corbetts:3
Grahams:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:7   

Postby nathan79 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:39 pm

I don't think you couldn't asked for a better day for it. 8)
Far luckier than when i did it last year fighting wind and seeing nothing but cloud.
I hope you get the same weather for the Cobbler
nathan79
Wanderer

Munros:101   Corbetts:29
Grahams:13   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:14   Islands:5

Postby ScottishLeaf » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:52 pm

Ben Ledi was the first hill I ever climbed as well.
We did it for charity with my old workmates, was a fair old slog for us back then, but it helped us raise over £5,000.
We had a plaque with us, which we were allowed to nail to rock, but someone told me it was destroyed in the bad weather last year... might need to go back up to check that out lol.

Glad you enjoyed your day out :)
ScottishLeaf
Wanderer

Munros:114   Corbetts:6
Grahams:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:6   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland