walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A Bridge of Orchy Corbetts' Quintet

A Bridge of Orchy Corbetts' Quintet

Postby rockhopper » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:35 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn a' Chaisteil (Auch), Beinn Chaorach, Beinn nam Fuaran, Beinn Odhar, Cam Chreag (Auch)

Date walked: 24/03/2012

Time taken: 9.2 hours

Distance: 22.5 km

Ascent: 2070m

11 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Corbetts: Beinn Odhar, Beinn Chaorach, Can Chreag, Beinn nam Fuaran, Beinn a’ Chaisteal
Date: Saturday 24 March 2012
Distance: 22.5km
Ascent: 2,070m
Attendees: me

This walk can be started where the Auch Farm Road meets the A82 at NN317355 and starting with an ascent of Beinn Odhar from the north. However, I chose to start at NN328331 as there’s car space for quite a few cars.

Bridge of Orchy 5 corbetts active log.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Parked up early with no-one else around. Some low level mist and fog meant that I couldn’t see the tops and whether there was any snow cover so I opted to take the ice axe and microspikes just in case – plain daft as there was no need whatsoever for them !

My SMC book mentions a cattle creep just north of the car park. I walked north for a bit, found a gate and crossed the railway line before heading south on the other side of the line – it wasn’t until I was returning later that I found the cattle creep slightly further north.

I had thought about walking down the WHW until the trees start and then go up the south ridge of Beinn Odhar. Instead when I got to NN329329 the slope while steep looked walkable so I headed steeply east. This was hard on the calves so early on but became easier when I got to the south ridge.

From there it’s a straightforward walk up the ridge to the summit. Views start to open up over to the west and the Ben Lui group.

There’s a wee rocky outcrop on the way but easy enough to walk round it. Still some lower level mist but clearer higher up.

Got to the summit with view over to Beinn Dorain.

And again over to Ben Lui

Still early but not cold – could hear the traffic very clearly down on the A82. I could also see over to Ben Challum over the top of Beinn Chaorach.

I headed off in an ESE direction down Beinn Odhar dropping down and losing a lot of height to cross the Allt Cumhang. Have to say that the west side of Beinn Chaorach was looking rather steep, even more so than the first ascent of the day.

Proved not to be too bad although my calf muscles were really starting to feel it !

Another view towards Ben Lui

And to the north

Approaching the top I could see over to Ben Challum. There was still a fair bit of mist around which subsequently blew over the top of Beinn Chaorach but it wasn’t long before I could see again.

Got the top of Beinn Chaorach – trig point but no cairn

I was wearing a new pair of boots for only the second time – the first was a relatively short walk so this was their first real test. Was finding that I had to keep stopping to retie the laces to stop my heels lifting (short but broad feet so I had to take two sizes up. Later on the balls of my feet started to get very sore but they’ve recovered now so I think I was lacing them too tightly – need to find a way of leaving the lower half loose but the top half tight).

Set off NE towards Cam Chreag. Clear view of Cam Chreag from just off the summit of Beinn Chaorach.

This was probably the easiest section between two hills. Not long before I was on the top of Cam Chreag with its wee cairn.

Views looking back to the west.

I was now faced with one of the longer sections of the day – the northerly walk to Beinn nam Fuaran. Headed NW then NNW down Cam Chreag’s long ridge – this seemed to go on forever and I was again losing a lot of height.

View towards Beinn nam Fuaran before I dropped down to cross the Abhainn Ghlas.

And up to Beinn a’ Chaisteil which would be number five

Initially started up just to the side of the Allt a’ Mhaim before heading steeply north to the summit.

Over towards Beinn a’ Chuirn and Beinn Mhanach

Hadn’t met anyone all day until I found another walker sleeping beside the cairn – it was certainly warm and sunny. We had a long chat and he told me some stories about the hills and what you can find around here and over by Tigh nam Bodach. We then walked together SW down to the bealach and met another four walkers on their way up.

At the bealach he headed off towards Auch Glen and I started up Beinn a’ Chaisteil. It was initially boggy as I followed the fence line.

Further up I could see back to Beinn nam Fuaran

Reached the top and got to the small cairn

Views over to the Bridge of Orchy munros

And down to Ben More / Stob Binnein

I was now faced with the long walk back. Initially I had to walk SE as there are steep cliffs.

Could see where I’d been earlier in the day

Got to the end of the cliffs (Creagan Liatha) and the dropped down to Glen Coralan. There’s a new track here not on the map which follows the south of the Allt Coralan – saved a wee bit of time albeit that I did have to walk back down to Auch Glen.

It was then just a case of following the WHW back to the car during which I walked past the cattle creep under the railway. Enjoyable day in the hills, certainly warm but with the occasional cold breeze and some steep ascents.
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Re: A Bridge of Orchy Corbetts' Quintet

Postby Graeme D » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:56 pm

Nice to see some familiar terrain from a few years back. Still got the last two of these to do. Got them penciled in for next month. Always thought Beinn a'Caisteal looks like a cracking little hill.
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby mountain thyme » Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:06 pm

well done rockhopper.. did these 5 today. found them hard going and very steep :)
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby Bod » Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:46 pm

Great effort rockhopper, I will now need to go and have a look at these on the map, you've got me thinking.......cheers :)
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:61   Islands:25

Postby ChrisW » Mon Mar 26, 2012 1:24 am

That's a good lump of ascent in a 22k round Rockhopper, specially with the added weight of micros and an ice axe :lol: love the photos, so atmospheric with the mist hanging here,there and everywhere early on :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby pigeon » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:49 am

Great report and a big effort RH,been agreat weekend for it 8) Got a random day off today so am heading off to tackle Creag Mhor just now ,you may have inspired me to add a corbett on :lol:
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:130
Fionas:41   Donalds:40+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Postby Johnny Corbett » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:23 am

A big round this Rockhopper, i should know i carried Mountain Thyme round them yesterday :lol:
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby jonny616 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:27 am

Great report RH. That's as much ascent as i'm planning to do in Kintail. I hope this weather holds 8)
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby malky_c » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:35 am

Looking pretty hazy up there, but some good inversion photos :)

You made that seem like a breeze - in the report at least 8)

These have been on my agenda for ages. Unless I manage a Graeme D style overnighter (hopefully without the excess water!) then I'll be using something very much like this route.
malky_c

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:80+37
Sub 2000:315   Hewitts:281
Wainwrights:140   Islands:39

Postby Del246 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 3:43 pm

Good effort and great pics. I hope to add to my Corbetts this summer.
Del246
Munro compleatist

Munros:105   Corbetts:15
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   

Postby lomondwalkers » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:01 pm

Great report and photos RH 8) I've just been reading about this walk in The Corbetts and other hills guide, this has just pushed it further up my 'to do' list. Cheers :D
lomondwalkers
Mountain Walker

Munros:143   Corbetts:57
Fionas:57   Donalds:73
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:3
Wainwrights:3   Islands:4

Postby SusieThePensioner » Mon Mar 26, 2012 4:26 pm

That sounds like a great walk, except for losing so much height at times between each one :( Enjoyed your report and some fantastic photos :thumbup:
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby L-Hiking » Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:18 pm

Cheers RH, some really nice pictures, especially like the inversion ones. Up here in May, I hope the weather is similar

Thanks
L-Hiking
Mountaineer

Munros:78   Corbetts:8
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:141
Wainwrights:214   

Postby mrssanta » Mon Mar 26, 2012 10:50 pm

that first picture is a real wowzer, and the following ones are no half bad either.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby Gavin99 » Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:00 pm

Great stuff , a fine round of these , having done them in bits and pieces recently I can appreciate what a big day that is . :)
Gavin99
Mountaineer

Munros:280   Corbetts:134
Fionas:79   Donalds:71
Sub 2000:38   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:16   
Walk wish-list

11 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland