walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Farragon Hill at Sunrise

Farragon Hill at Sunrise

Postby wilkiemurray » Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:22 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Farragon Hill

Date walked: 25/03/2012

Time taken: 2.5 hours

Distance: 17 km

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Farragon Hill from Edradynate

Video report :

With a fantastic weather forecast and also some mist a fog forming in glens I thought an early start would give a good chance of an inversion. Was still feeling a little under the weather so opted for a shorter route not far from home.

An early start saw me leaving the car up the Edradynate road near Miltown of Cluny around 6.30. I was going to leave it further up but there was a sign suggesting this was a private road (permission required from estate to use ). The road soon turned into a landrover track but was still good to cycle on and I was near Loch Derculich as the sun peeped its head over the horizon. The fantastic sunrise certainly helped to improve energy levels for the climb ahead.

I dumped the bike just before the high point on the track and crossed some very boggy ground south of Loch a’Chait. However once the NE spur of Farragon is reached the going was good if a little heathery – did not see too much of a path here but may have just missed it! The light mist in the glens gave great perspective on the hills and the views over to Schehallion, Lawers and Lyon hills was fantastic. Similarly in the opposite direction I could see the Cairgorms and Glenshee hills further south. It was just past 8 now.

I descended past Loch a’ Chait as it seemed a good place for a break before getting to the bike. The bike ride back was great fun and most of it was a fee wheel getting me back to the car in a speedy fashion!!! Back at car for 9.30…
DSC01574.JPG
DSC01591.JPG
DSC01648.JPG
Last edited by wilkiemurray on Sun Sep 30, 2012 10:44 am, edited 4 times in total.
wilkiemurray

Re: Farragon Sunrise

Postby mrssanta » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:00 pm

lovely pictures.
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby wilkiemurray » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:10 am

thanks - it was a cracking morning fo the pics :D :D
wilkiemurray

Postby Paul_Antonia » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:52 am

I agree. Beautiful photos. Hope you are feeling less under the weather soon.
Paul_Antonia
Mountain Walker

Munros:5   
Fionas:1   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:2   

Postby wilkiemurray » Tue Jul 03, 2012 9:58 am

Paul_Antonia wrote:I agree. Beautiful photos. Hope you are feeling less under the weather soon.

Indeed so - it seems that the start of the year had better weather than the summer !! Back to having cold again now!!!
wilkiemurray

Postby madasa mongoose » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:07 pm

Beautifully shot video and stunning photos. A place I haven't yet visited but is now on my ever growing list!
madasa mongoose
Munro compleatist

Munros:267   Corbetts:1

Postby wilkiemurray » Tue Jul 03, 2012 8:55 pm

madasa mongoose wrote:Beautifully shot video and stunning photos. A place I haven't yet visited but is now on my ever growing list!

Thanks - re watched video again and reminded me of what blue skies and sun look like - seems to have been weeks since we had any!!

I really enjoyed this walk/bike ridebut it did involve an early start that day - well worth it though...........
wilkiemurray

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland