walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Sgulaird

Beinn Sgulaird

Postby EACHANN AN DOIRE » Tue Mar 27, 2012 8:23 pm

Date walked: 27/03/2012

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

So. Beinn Sgulaird. I had attempted this in the snows of late January. See the weather in this photo…..

DSCF1441.JPG
Last January. Looking down to the Glen Ure not long before giving up.

I failed to reach the summit. Not because of wintry weather but, once again, my own numptiness.
Wrap up warm I did & overdid it so much I was too hot and sweated like a sweaty thing on a hot day. (I also chose a particularly gruelling route. {For the geeks: GR 059 477 to 063 466, 1.1km along and 570m up, gradient of 27.4% [though it felt like 62.6 %!]})
Anyway where was I?
Plus clever me didn’t take my platypus in case the pipe froze. I took a bottle instead and for the first two hours I couldn’t be bothered with the palaver of getting it out my rucksack – doh!
Result: by the time I got to 600m I was feeling ill (dehydration). Add to that very poor viz and my motivation had got up and, as it were, gone.
Bottom line: Sgulaird abandoned 28 Jan at 640m above sea level. At low tide too!

(Two months elapse)

So. Beinn Sgulaird. Here am are again. I took a slightly different route this time. That suggested by Cameron McNeish. But it was still rather an effort. A steep ascent mostly over tussocky grass. A bit of a “calf buster” you might say. Not my favourite terrain.
Three hours exactly to the summit. It was glorious weather on Sunday as you know but a bit too hazy to get the super views this mountain can offer on a clear day. Still, I really really enjoyed it. Here are some more photos with some more prattle…..

DSCF1461.JPG
Last Sunday. Looking north-ish to Ben Nevis in the far distance and the Aonach Eagach in the middle distance.

DSCF1459.JPG
At the summit of Ben Sgulaird looking almost directly south over Loch Etive. (YOU are looking south not me. I'm looking nort..... never mind!)

DSCF1463.JPG
: Looking out to Loch Creran and the isle of Lismore just visible through the haze.

DSCF1456.JPG
Walkers heading off this hill and over to Meall Garbh.

DSCF1465.JPG
Loch Etive in the afternoon sun with Ben Cruachan in the distance. Lovely

DSCF1469.JPG
Used the “panorama” function on the camera to get this picture to include Loch Etive and Loch Creran. Didn't work did it? Creran seems at a much lower level than Etive!

DSCF1462.JPG
The view down into Glen Creran.

DSCF1475.JPG
The River Ure. Isn’t it pretty. Very close to here, in an unnamed tributary of the Ure was a most excellent pool for “wild swimming”. If you like that sort of thing.

DSCF1478.JPG
And finally: Glen Ure House with Beinn Sgulaird behind.

Yes, Glen Ure House. Erstwhile home of Colin Campbell who was murdered nearby in Lettermore in 1752. (Lettermore is more or less where walkers today might start an ascent of Beinn ‘a Bheithir at the foot of Gleann a’Chaolais.) In pursuing the case the Sheriff Depute, Archibald Campbell of Strathleven, the presiding judge, Archibald, Chief of Clan Campbell and the Campbell majority of the jury sent the wrong man, James Stewart, to be executed at Ballachuilish. A scapegoat cynically hanged for political reasons. The whole episode of course was the basis for R. L. Stevenson’s novel Kidnapped. (And believe it or not the most recent legal action in this case was by the Scottish Criminal Cases Review Commission in 2008 which overturned an appeal against the conviction. Injustice reigns)
Last edited by EACHANN AN DOIRE on Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EACHANN AN DOIRE
Rambler

Munros:189   Corbetts:16
Fionas:6   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:6   
Walk wish-list

Re: Beinn Sgulaird

Postby Collaciotach » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:44 pm

Tis a craicin wee hill i climb her in February hard work :) ..good report
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:219
Fionas:47   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:27   
Islands:30

Postby BoyVertiginous » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:24 pm

Aye, thanks for the history lesson...great views too. :)

Mental note made re-wild swimming in the Ure.
BoyVertiginous
Wanderer

Munros:251   Corbetts:75
Fionas:26   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:49   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:62   Islands:18

Postby EACHANN AN DOIRE » Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:20 pm

The spot is at GR 041 480 - seen clearly on the north side of a wee bridge crossing the burn.
EACHANN AN DOIRE
Rambler

Munros:189   Corbetts:16
Fionas:6   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:6   
Walk wish-list

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland