walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Long and Winding Road to Leathad an Taobhain

The Long and Winding Road to Leathad an Taobhain

Postby Gordon Ballantyne » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:04 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Leathad an Taobhain

Date walked: 27/03/2012

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 21.3 km

Ascent: 834m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A much easier day......an outing by the 1st Mechanised Platoon of the Westhill Lancers.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Scoffed down a pot noodle for breakfast and headed from my camp at Lochan an t Sluic up the track towards L an Taobhain - pushing my trusty velocipede, minus all the camping paraphenalia.
Still suffering from the previous days effort, it was a bit of a grind getting to the terminus of the track near the summit of Meall an Uillt Chreagaich.
DSCN2069.JPG
The long & winding road up to M an U C

Thought I saw a pair of Snipe just before the track terminus, but will have to check the literature.
Parked the bike there and followed the path across to L an Taobhain, passing the ruined sheiling in the bealach mentioned by Boots and Paddles.
DSCN2070.JPG
The ruined Sheiling in the bealach

The quiet surreal experience of the previous day on the summit of Meallach Mhor was repeated on the summit of L an T.
DSCN2073.JPG
Cairn Toul etc from Leathad an Taobhain

The re-ascent back up to the bike was not so bad as I feared, but as I went to refill my water bottle in the bealach, a frog/toad louped up the burn & disapeared into a sink hole. As I looked around there seemed to be squillions of them everywhere - presumably mating or trying to find one !
Anyway on reaching the track again, I launched the trusty bike at the reverse of the long and winding road & off I sped down to to the campsite at L an t Sluic in 20mins. Seemed like a good idea to take the bike now!!
Brewed up another less-out-of date meal and ate it while striking camp. It felt like eating cement - although I don't recall eating cement before.
I'd anticipated having to walk a few bits down the glen back to the car, but fairly whizzed down Slochd Mor and even the bumpy bit to Feshie lodge and surprised myself by cycling pretty much all the way down the beautifully smooth tarmac'd Feshie road, getting back to the car at 2pm, and home by 4pm with a T stop at Tomintoul to ease my numb bum.
Gordon Ballantyne
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:89
Grahams:20   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:59   

Re: The Long and Winding Road to Leathad an Taobhain

Postby Johnny Corbett » Wed Mar 28, 2012 11:26 am

Good couple of days you had on reasonable remote Corbetts. I will also use a bike when i get round to this bunch :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:210
Grahams:166   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:296   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland