walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Inaccessible Pinnacle is accessed

The Inaccessible Pinnacle is accessed

by Ranger » Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:16 am

Route description: Sgùrr Dearg and the In Pinn

Munros included on this walk: Inaccessible Pinnacle, Sgùrr Mhic Chòinnich

Date walked: 30/03/2012

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 9 km

Ascent: 1280m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: The Inaccessible Pinnacle is accessed

Postby Mountainlove » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:51 pm

Brilliant report ...always wondered how it would be like and that report answered my question...thank you and congratulations for winning report of the month- well deserved!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap:
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby mattmunro » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:00 pm

Wow, what a cracking day! I'll just echo what's already been said in the above comments. The In Pin looms ominously somewhere on the horizon in my bagging conquest... As my climbing experience amounts to precisely zero, I'll be hiring a guide and taking no chances, that's for sure! Thanks for such a well-informed report, one I'll be glad to refer to at some point soon i'm sure!
mattmunro
Mountaineer

Munros:115   Corbetts:47
Fionas:67   Donalds:70
Sub 2000:41   Hewitts:297
Wainwrights:133   Islands:3

Postby Klaasloopt » Tue Apr 03, 2012 3:19 pm

Ranger wrote:- I stared at the rock in front of my nose until I could crack on.
... - he asked me to look down to my partner and see where he was, I refused!

I loved re-reading your report. Staring at the rock waiting for instructions. :lol: O yes I remember the Inn Pin with a guide (Winky O'Neill, I'd recommend going out on the Cuillin with a woman tough as steel anytime).

Ehm... Falklands?
Shouldn't a guide who uses his guiding as a therapy for handling 30 year old memories pay YOU? :mrgreen:

Congrats on winning the Webtogs prize! Well deserved!
Klaasloopt
Hill Bagger

Munros:168   Corbetts:71
Fionas:13   
Sub 2000:22   Hewitts:49
Islands:11

Postby Ranger » Tue Apr 03, 2012 4:17 pm

ciderpeter wrote:Particularly more so fear inducing that we are hoping to do this in about 12 weeks... I have booked a guide for me and the then to be wife on our honeymoon :shock: :o

Hopefully we will get weather as good as yours.

What camera were you using? For someone who was terrified you still took piccies!!

Good luck with your weather - I was fortunate to be able to drop everything kind of and book a guide 2 days in advance following the good forecast! The combination of good weather and lack of snow were the only thing that allowed the luxury of short-notice booking that a March trip afforded! :)

The camera is a Lumix TZ7 - and no I wouldnt have dared take pics during the climb, my helpful climbing partner volunteered! :thumbup: The zoom is an absolute winner, its still pocket sized, and the snaps are great quality - but no manual control which is annoying for starry skies/long exposure waterfall shots etc, but otherwise great! 8)

mattmunro wrote: As my climbing experience amounts to precisely zero, I'll be hiring a guide and taking no chances, that's for sure! Thanks for such a well-informed report, one I'll be glad to refer to at some point soon i'm sure!

Good choice - I had a few blase comments of 'you could manage it without a guide' but it really is a one-off and the exposure, however easy the technical climbing is through most of it, is out of this world.

The experience of climbing with a pro was an enjoyable for its own sake anyway so definitely no regrets in that respect.
Ranger

Munros:282   Corbetts:74
Fionas:13   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:2   

Postby StuartAAshton » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:36 pm

Ranger wrote:The experience of climbing with a pro was an enjoyable for its own sake anyway so definitely no regrets in that respect.

I totally agree! Well worth paying for that peace of mind and professional experience. Great report and well deserving of report of the month. Congratulations.
StuartAAshton
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:2
Fionas:5   
Sub 2000:8   

Postby sallyduthie » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:55 am

I love this report. I'm booked to do the Inn Pin at the beginning of June and am pretty nervous. I can't say this report has made me any less nervous though!!!

Your photos and descriptions were fab. I'm unsure whether a great day or a misty day would be better coz the looking down is the bit that'll make or break me!!!

Well done on a great climb :D
sallyduthie
Mountaineer

Munros:74   Corbetts:2
Sub 2000:2   

Postby lachiedamn » Sat Apr 07, 2012 2:50 pm

Very informative, I will one day?? Keep up the good work.
lachiedamn
Munro compleatist

Munros:45   Corbetts:2
Fionas:2   

Postby Caberfeidh » Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:16 pm

[quote="Klaasloopt"][quote="Ranger"]- Ehm... Falklands?
Shouldn't a guide who uses his guiding as a therapy for handling 30 year old memories pay YOU? :mrgreen: quote]

:lol:
Hey, that gives me an idea...Caberfeidh's Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Counselling Service ! I'm sure many of us use a stint in the hills to recharge our stressed-out souls, recuperating from recent or long-past events. I just have to figure out a way of cashing in on it...
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby mountain thyme » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:56 pm

Ranger wrote:
Collaciotach wrote:Well done a bhalaich, grand report its a challenge no doubt .......

no often a Ranger is top of anything these days :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mate, the football wind ups everytime you reply to me are getting boring - you're clearly a funny guy with all the lol's you put at the end of your posts so finding something else to be funny about would be much appreciated :D

Cheers :thumbup:

well done Ranger.. but with regards to above if you come on calling yourself ranger and wearing a ranger scarf... you should be able to take the banter/ slagging that comes with it!
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby KeithS » Mon Apr 09, 2012 9:02 pm

Caberfeidh wrote:
Klaasloopt wrote:
Ranger wrote:- Ehm... Falklands?
Shouldn't a guide who uses his guiding as a therapy for handling 30 year old memories pay YOU? :mrgreen: quote]

:lol:
Hey, that gives me an idea...Caberfeidh's Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Counselling Service ! I'm sure many of us use a stint in the hills to recharge our stressed-out souls, recuperating from recent or long-past events. I just have to figure out a way of cashing in on it...

You would probably charge an arm and a leg! :lol:
KeithS
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:14
Wainwrights:9   Islands:47

Postby Ranger » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:33 am

mountain thyme wrote:
Ranger wrote:
Collaciotach wrote:Well done a bhalaich, grand report its a challenge no doubt .......

Mate, the football wind ups everytime you reply to me are getting boring - you're clearly a funny guy with all the lol's you put at the end of your posts so finding something else to be funny about would be much appreciated :D

well done Ranger.. but with regards to above if you come on calling yourself ranger and wearing a ranger scarf... you should be able to take the banter/ slagging that comes with it!

My username is fairly generic in the context, if someone wants to put 2 and 2 together from a picture that's up to them, oddly enough I wasnt thinking of that eventuality at the time on the hill freezing my balls off :lol:

There's a place for bantering back and forth about football but, personally, I'd prefer it wasn't walkhighlands with folks I've never met before. Of course other opinions are valid, so don't let me discourage anyone else from engaging in "you're team's rubbish/no you're team's rubbish" exchanges ad infinitum! :D
Ranger

Munros:282   Corbetts:74
Fionas:13   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:5

Postby Caberfeidh » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:41 am

mountain thyme wrote:
Ranger wrote:

Ranger wrote:My username is fairly generic in the context, if someone wants to put 2 and 2 together from a picture that's up to them, oddly enough I wasnt thinking of that eventuality at the time on the hill freezing my balls off :lol:
There's a place for bantering back and forth about football but, personally, I'd prefer it wasn't walkhighlands with folks I've never met before. Of course other opinions are valid, so don't let me discourage anyone else from engaging in "you're team's rubbish/no you're team's rubbish" exchanges ad infinitum! :D"

Anyone else get the impression a raw nerve has been touched?! Never mind Ranger, I'm sure the tax man is a bluenose too, you're bound to get let off... :lol: :lol: :lol:
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Caberfeidh » Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:54 am

Keith Sayliss wrote:
Caberfeidh wrote:Hey, that gives me an idea...Caberfeidh's Post Traumatic Stress Disorder Counselling Service ! I'm sure many of us use a stint in the hills to recharge our stressed-out souls, recuperating from recent or long-past events. I just have to figure out a way of cashing in on it...]

You would probably charge an arm and a leg! :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby goth_angel » Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:32 pm

That was a cracking report. Views might have been a bit too good though given drops like that! :shock:
goth_angel

Munros:101   Corbetts:9
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:13   Hewitts:84
Wainwrights:179   

Postby balfourbaggers » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:19 pm

Good pics and I liked your comments . Especially liked the pic of the Great Stone Chute and Sgurr Alasdair. My brother and I completed the climb 2 years ago 8)
balfourbaggers
Stravaiging

Munros:72   Corbetts:6
Fionas:1   
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:2

61 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

PreviousNext

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland