walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Popping up Am Bathach & Ciste Dhubh

Popping up Am Bathach & Ciste Dhubh

Postby andrewdoggett » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:00 pm

Route description: Ciste Dhubh and Am Bathach, Cluanie

Munros included on this walk: Ciste Dhubh

Corbetts included on this walk: Am Bathach

Date walked: 30/03/2012

Time taken: 2.75 hours

Distance: 12.8 km

Ascent: 1103m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I'm off; just gone 2 pm and I'm hurtling up to Kintail for the Walk Highlands Meet... The missus has just texted me from Tebay Services on the drive up and I'm thinking I can nip up the Corbett and Am Bathach and the Munro Ciste Dhubh and then meet them at the Cluanie Inn.

The weather's gorgeous; the roof is down; and I've a big smile on my face; this is all looking good. Near the start and some car I've overtaken starts flashing me; personally I didn't think it was that rude an overtake... Not too worry... Onwards... It's nearing 5 pm and I'm tight for time... I pull over in the layby just before the Cluanie Inn and change into my boots whilst said car pulls up... Here we go I think... But I'm greeted with big smiles from Bod and Valerie and we have a quick conversation... I think they think I'm just planning on the Corbett, but I've slightly bigger plans... :)

I hit the hill hard, and am fairly flying up Am Bathach... Monty done this hill in 3 hours 20 and I think that's beatable ;)

I pause only for pictures... The iPod is on and I'm breathing hard, the ascent isn't too steep but there's a lot of it... In not very long I'm looking down on the Cluanie Inn from high up and it's just gorgeous, Scotland at it's very best... Blue skies, no midges, and a weekend in the hills with my family to look forward to...

After Am Bathach there's a decent descent and reascent up Ciste Dhubh but I keep working... The legs are burning a little, but what's a little pain... Power through that I say to myself... The clag comes in which is annoying, but not too worry, I'm soon at the top... And that leaves 99!! Into double figures to go, this being hill number 184 for me...

I stop only for a summit picture and then head off down the hill and I'm back at the car in a total time of 2 hours 45 mins... A good warm up for the day ahead...

I've time for a pint at the Cluanie before Fanny Flap, the Monsters, and Aunt Meatball arrive... I'm excited to see them, and everyone looks on as the Monsters jump all over me in the middle of the pub... 'Hi Dad...' I love how they greet me, reminds me of how Whiskey, my woofer used to welcome me home... And I am home :)

Ciste Dhubh 001.jpg
The start of the ascent...

Ciste Dhubh 002.jpg
About halfway up Am Bathach and I can't resist turning round.. Gorgeous :)

Ciste Dhubh 003.jpg
Looking down on the Cluanie Inn...

Ciste Dhubh 004.jpg
THe South Glenshiel Ridge above Cluanie

Ciste Dhubh 005.jpg
Higher up and the light is starting to soften :)

Ciste Dhubh 006.jpg
The summit of Am Bathach comes into view...

Ciste Dhubh 007.jpg
A similar shot of Am Bathach...

Ciste Dhubh 008.jpg
Looking back along the ascent and Loch Cluanie; just gorgeous :)

Ciste Dhubh 009.jpg
The summit of Am Bathach...

Ciste Dhubh 010.jpg
Looking back at Am Bathach from just before I entered the clag on the slopes of Ciste Dhubh...

Ciste Dhubh 011.jpg
And that's me on the summit of Ciste Dhubh; Munro Number 184; 99 to go :)

2012 - 03 - 30 - Ciste Dhubh.jpg
The Stats...

2012 - 03 - 30 - Ciste Dhubh.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

andrewdoggett
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Grahams:2   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:6   

Re: Popping up Am Bathach & Ciste Dhubh

Postby kevsbald » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:23 pm

Aunt meatball??? You're a charmer. I hope she doesn't read this. Good to meet you. You must like petrol stations with a 350!
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:267   Corbetts:125
Grahams:79   Donalds:52
Sub 2000:14   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:15   

Re: Popping up Am Bathach & Ciste Dhubh

Postby dooterbang » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:06 pm

Thats the way to do it, nice one.

Cracking pair of hills these.

Monty aint as fast as he thinks :lol:
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Grahams:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland