walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Cairnwell and Bhinnein

Cairnwell and Bhinnein

Postby fatal6ert » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:54 pm

Route description: The Cairnwell Munros

Munros included on this walk: Càrn a' Ghèoidh, Càrn Aosda, The Cairnwell

Date walked: 30/12/2012

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 14.5 km

Ascent: 875m

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Cairnwell route.JPG
A Friday off but I had to be back by 6 O'clock to commence the weekend round of Dad's Taxi so needed to find a shortish route not too far from home. So not having yet done the Cairnwell munros this looked like a good choice for the day. After 2 weeks of great temperatures and glorious sunshine here in the North East I was hoping that the weather would hold out for 1 more day. I was not disappointed. Glorious sunshine was on hand for a good day on the hills.
Arriving at the Cafe of the Glenshee ski school at 0830 it was on with the gaiters and an easy decision to leave crampons in the car as there was hardly a spot of snow to be seen. A bacon butty to fortify the body and a coffee for the soul and Charlie and I were off up Carn Aosda.
IMG_0202.jpg
IMG_0207.jpg
Charlie's 4th Munro

Horribly scarred by the ski runs I felt a little sorry for this hill but it was an easy start to the day and Charlies 4th Munro. Still great views all around in clear skies and good weather although the wind was rather brisk at this height.

From Carn Aosda a simple case of following the path past Loch Vrotachan to Carn nan Sac and on to Carn a Gheoidh with mountain hares sadly standing out clearly in their white overcasts against the free hills. Apart from the hares the only wildlife seen was a pair of still white ptarmigan.
IMG_0210.jpg
Loch Vrotachan

On route to Carn nan Sac a quick glance back revealed a rather worrying billowing of smoke from the crags between Car nan Sac and The Cairnwell.
IMG_0245.jpg
Fire
IMG_0227.jpg
IMG_0246.jpg
Fire fighter
IMG_0250.jpg
Aftermath of the fire - from The Cairnwell

Wondering if this might be a problem in getting back to the car I decided to carry on for now and on the return journey the fire was fortunately extinguished. A warning that the vegetation is very dry after a warm winter.

A quick photo stop for Charlie at Carn nan Sac then on to Carn a Gheoidh. My original plan was to go only as far as Carn a Gheoidh but once I got there I noticed Carn Bhinnein, it looked interesting and I still had plenty of time in hand so on I went.
IMG_0224.jpg
Charlie at Carn nan Sac

IMG_0233.jpg
Carn Bhinnein
IMG_0244.jpg
Lunchtime snooze

I was please to have carried on because the views from here were excellent. Particularly to the North towards Ben MacDui. From here it was back to Carn a Gheoidh for a spot of lunch - of which Charlie ate half before a little snooze before going on to finish the walk on The Cairnwell where I had a chat with a couple of blokes painting the microwave transmitter - not a thing that's common on a munro. From here shortest route back to the car park and home in time to start the weekend's driving duties
IMG_0254.jpg
The Cairnwell
Last edited by fatal6ert on Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:14 am, edited 2 times in total.
fatal6ert
Mountaineer

Munros:42   Corbetts:7
Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:4   

Re: Cairnwell and Bhinnein

Postby foggieclimber » Sun Apr 01, 2012 8:02 pm

Although Carn Bhinnein is now a Munro Top, it was a Munro in Hugh Munro's original 1891 list.
foggieclimber

Re: Cairnwell and Bhinnein

Postby fatal6ert » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:01 pm

foggieclimber wrote:Although Carn Bhinnein is now a Munro Top, it was a Munro in Hugh Munro's original 1891 list.

That's good to know - I would have been a bit cheesed off had I not done it so I caqn sort of tick it off, an interesting wee hill and cracking views from a slightly different angle than Carn a Gheoidh
fatal6ert
Mountaineer

Munros:42   Corbetts:7
Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:4   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland