walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Fhionnlaidh

Beinn Fhionnlaidh

Postby jimandandrea » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:54 pm

Route description: Beinn Fhionnlaidh

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Fhionnlaidh

Date walked: 26/03/2012

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 14.5 km

Ascent: 960m

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

After quite a few years of saving we recently (two weeks ago) purchased a motorhome. With a weeks holiday due we could not believe our luck when the weather forecast predicted some High pressure over Scotland (indeed most of the UK) and some did weather. Game on, lets go. We did not leave Kendal till 4.00pm and headed up to Glencoe again passing Callander stopping only to get a fish supper in Callander. Due to every man and his dog being up on the hills that day Mhor fish was out of fish!! Whit?? I'll do you a deal on Monk fish says Mr Fryer- OK, go for it says I. What we had can only be described as a life changing meal which I would, without reservation, recommend you add it to the 100 things to do list.
Anyway, as we drove past Bridge of Orchy and onto Black Mount I felt I had driven enough and so as we passed in the pipers lay bye before Glencoe I opted for a cup of tea and a kip.

As we woke the next day the scene was inspiring: methinks we are join to have a good day. As we got ourselves up to temperature we planned our days walk.
The cones were a nice touch I thought.

We still had four munro's to do in Glen Etive and since it was quiet I plucked up the courage to head down the single track and also hope that Mr Midge was still hibernating! So off we went down Glen Etive for a few days to complete the Munro's there.... but first a wee cup of tea and a Tunnoch's Teacake!
Oh nice

The last time we had been here we had completed the assault course that is the forrest track so we knew what to expect ...... and it did not disappoint! Three other walkers were setting out at the same time and we did warn them about it - when we met them later they were glad we told them it was possible to circumnavigate!!

By the time we left the forrest the sun was loud and proud and it was warm as toast. What a difference from the last time we stood at this point wet, poor visibility, wet, windy and wet.

This was brilliant, being able to see where you are going and knowing that you may get to the top and actually have a view!!
Heading up Meall nan Gobhar

Sgor na h-Ulaidh: So that's what it looks like!!

On the shoulder before the top

Beinn Fhionnlaidh 959m

Looking round we could see what we had done (in mist and again seen zilch)
Beinn a' Bheithir

As well as ones that we still had to do.
Sgulaird

A grand view of Glen Etive.

The weather was stunning and we were in no hurry to get down and back. What a cracking day. We were going to stay in Glen Etive and I had noted a Mini parked in what I felt would be a stunning place to park the van. As luck would have it the Mini had gone and the space was ours. Fantastic.

Our spot for 2 days in Glen Etive - WHAT a view.

Right, I am off for a wash. Anyone coming???

First time away in the van. Lets have many more like this...... please!
jimandandrea
Munro compleatist

Munros:264   Corbetts:6
Hewitts:97
Wainwrights:214   

Re: Beinn Fhionnlaidh

Postby jwramsay » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:26 pm

Great report. Superb weather.

Wish I had "a van" like that!!
jwramsay
Mountain Walker

Munros:109   Corbetts:8
Fionas:4   Donalds:3

Postby dooterbang » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:27 am

Another fab day out with stunning views...dosnt get any better.

I can only dream of owning a motorhome :(
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby jimandandrea » Wed Apr 04, 2012 2:19 pm

It is always good to dream. Although I have to say our dream took 25yrs to become reality :)

Andrea
jimandandrea
Munro compleatist

Munros:264   Corbetts:6
Hewitts:97
Wainwrights:214   

Postby kevsbald » Wed Apr 04, 2012 4:50 pm

Perhaps the clearest I have seen of this 'quiet' Munro. Liked the pano of the car park - very unyooosuuual.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby solosond » Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:17 pm

You have many years of fun ahead of you with your new "moby". I can vouch for it being a fantastically practical way of accessing really remote areas in most kinds of weather and it's great to come back to.
solosond
Mountaineer

3 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland