walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Traversing the FIVE SISTERS - Walkhighlands Meet Spring 2012

Traversing the FIVE SISTERS - Walkhighlands Meet Spring 2012

Postby Bod » Tue Apr 03, 2012 5:58 pm

Route description: Five Sisters of Kintail

Munros included on this walk: Sgùrr Fhuaran, Sgùrr na Càrnach, Sgùrr na Ciste Duibhe

Date walked: 31/03/2012

Time taken: 10.5 hours

Distance: 13.2 km

Ascent: 1385m

12 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Here we were at last, the Walkhighlands Meet Spring 2012 was kicking off in Kintail. I had started up the thread last year after attending the previous meet-up also based in Kintail where I was duly appointed to take responsibilty for this one (somewhat a surprise on my departure, but what a priviledge it has been.... :D )
Following a fun and entertaining get together in the Kintail Lodge Hotel on the Friday evening involving a great Quiz session hosted by mountainstar, members were up and out on the mountains and hills of Kintail and surrounding areas covering many summits on the Saturday. Those included were Beinn Fhada, A' Ghlas bheinn, Forcan Ridge approaching the Saddle and Sgurr na Sgine, the South Sheil Ridge, the Five Sisters, the Brothers, A'Chralaig and Mullach Froach choire, Sgurr Mhic Bharraich, and also Beinn Alligin up in Torridon. Three members reached their 100th Munro summit on this glorious and very fine mountain day. (It has to be mentioned too that many individuals made great use time before and after the weekend exploring other mountains and areas in the west and northwest, including a bothy night on the Thursday beforehand at Suardalan.)

My walk this day was spent traversing the Five Sisters of Kintail with Valerie, Gavin99, Morecambe Monkey, Jockstar, Suhowfar and of course Ritchie the dug. What a fantastic day we had meeting up with our fellow walkhighlanders who had started earlier coming over the Brothers from the Cluanie Inn carpark. :D :D :D :D :D

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

1.jpg
Gaining height now as we proceed above forest line. Just another few hundred metres of climb left before reaching Bealach an Lapain, but what a glorious view down through Glen Sheil with the pointed summit of Faochag standing proud, in front of The Saddle and Sgurr na Sgine.
2.jpg
Thanks Brian, a grand photo of myself, Valerie, Gavin99 and Morecambe Monkey on the start of the Sisters ridge. Lovely clear view of Saileag behind and the rest of the Brothers as for a the eye can see. The Brothers crew were catching us fast.....(as I had hoped might happen on a meet weekend like this....:) ... some careful timing worked out well, despite the haze of the morning awakening after a night in the pub. )
3.jpg
After crossing Sgurr nan Spainteach, and after a quick chat with Iain Watson who caught up with us first, we were soon facing Sgurr na Ciste Duibhe in all it's glory. What a wonderous sight, and what fun, especially the exciting wee drop on the ridge just below the summit zone. I had to nip down with Ritchie first following scrambling Gav, Val and Monkey, leave Ritchie with Valerie and pop back up to check Brian and Su were fine. No problems though, we all had great fun here and a chance to work on all fours. So suitably exhilerated were off now to the summit of our first Munro of the day.
4.jpg
Brian and Su on the drop........:)
5.jpg
Iain having waited for his party to regroup on the last munro top, had them all approaching fast and it was intriguing to observe them all nipping, scrambling and crawling on all sides of the drop. Both parties now merging we set about lunch no.1 on the summit. Cheers Polly for the wee wave to the camera ... :)
6.jpg
Iain Watson (Monarch of the Glen) :) Morecambe Monkey there enjoying a kitkat :)
7.jpg
Grazing Walkhighlanders all applying the 'leave no trace' and have a good blether approach to mountaineering ..... :)
8.jpg
Our first clear views of Loch Duich as we now walk round swinging in a northwest direction towards our second Munro. What a fittingly glorious day, which of course I had promised several weeks previously ... :) :) :)
9.jpg
Lunch no.2 on top of Sgurr na Carnach.....yum, yum....and plenty more chat and quality time shared ... :)
10.jpg
Looking on now towards Sgurr Fhuaran (Hill of the Wolf) .... another glorous sight. This enticing mountain was going to be Valerie's 100th Munro, and what a fine choice of mountain!!!
11.jpg
Beautiful views east towards Sailaig and the Brothers again, this time further away.........the beginning of our Sisters ridge on the right side.
12.jpg
What a day, what a sight back over our last two summits..... :)
13.jpg
Valerie and myself on top of the hill of the Wolf! Ritchie boy is just down out of sight scavenging each and every one of Iain's spilt jelly-beans. Lunch no.3 as both groups share in welcoming Valerie on her 100th ..... a special day continues to get more and more memorable!
14.jpg
Brian and Su in among the summit boulders. Superb efforts from everyone..................now we must all turn our thoughts to a safe descent and a pint in the Kintail Lodge Hotel.
15.jpg
Our party of 7, happy, satified and reluctant to leave after the Brothers crew depart, some heading for the final summit just above Outdoor Centre.
16.jpg
Oh........look what still lies ahead, a very long drop and another Munro top before heading down a shoulder into the Allt a' Chruinn and the steep footpath to the shores of Loch Duich. What a glorious sight, one to savour but how are we going to get down here? (It wasn't to bad with a nice big zig-zag)
17.jpg
The view looking back up towards Sgurr Fhuaran from the side of Sgurr nan Seaghead.
18.jpg
First class entertainment from Monty back in the bunkhouse after an excellent evening gathered again in the Hotel.

Just three days later, Valerie, Ritchie and I are still staying here in Kintail and we wake up to snow in April :shock: :D :D

19.jpg
The Kintail Lodge Hotel were wonderful hosts to everybody and provided a great gathering spot suited to all needs :) :) :)
20.jpg
The Five Sisters of Kintail viewed from Sheil Bridge.
21.jpg
Another fine and classic view near Bealach Ratagan.

Well that's it folks, the main day of our Walkhighlands Meet 2012 in Kintail. I simply loved the whole experience, the activities and the wonderful tales shared between such a special group of people. As mentioned at the start of this report I must point out that the friendship and fellowship extended several days in the run up, and several days afterwards involving dozens of members all exuding the spirit of loving the outdoors and nature.

Roll on Braemar....................... :D :D :D :D :D
Last edited by Bod on Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:04 am, edited 35 times in total.
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:29
Wainwrights:61   Islands:25

Re: Traversing the FIVE SISTERS - Walkhighlands Meet Spring

Postby mrssanta » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:20 pm

I want a picture of yourself carrying the dog!!!
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby monty » Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:52 pm

Nice report Bod. Great photos, great weather and a great meet. Thanks :D
monty

Postby Bod » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:02 pm

monty wrote:Nice report Bod. Great photos, great weather and a great meet. Thanks :D

I'm no finished it yet Monty, hope you will like it when it's done? Submitting it as I go incase I lose wifi, cheers though :D :D :lol:
Bod
Walker

Postby dooterbang » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:27 pm

sensational.

if you bring the weather to the next meet you organize then im defo joining yous guys.

What a wondeful weekend...i hope you got much satisfaction from organizing it.
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby SusieThePensioner » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:46 pm

This is the third time I've looked at your report; the first time you'd got as far as the map, next time I wasn't sure if you'd finished, so here I am again :lol: :lol:

Enjoyed reading the report and some great photos of you all and, of course, the scenery!! :D
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby rockhopper » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:06 pm

A cracking day in good company - well done all :thumbup: Looks like you all had a brilliant time on a great meetup....not that I'm jealous at all but yet again couldn't make it :mrgreen: :sick: - cheers :D
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby Johnny Corbett » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:12 pm

Stunning Bod, wish i could have made it up there. Just hope the weathers as good for the next one whenever and where ever it may be :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby rocket-ron » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:31 pm

great report bod cracking weekend had by all
rocket-ron
Mountaineer

Munros:222   Corbetts:99
Fionas:22   
Sub 2000:16   

Postby Bod » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:38 pm

Well folks, that's me back from dinner in the Kintail Lodge tonight, sorry for the delay, especially Susie as I did not mean to be so long! Guess what though we met Clach Liath (grey stone) in the bar tonight and got chatting, so the Kintail meet continues.... :D :D :lol:

Clach Liath recognised me as Ritchie's owmer, so I brought Ritchie down to meet him too... :lol:
Bod
Walker

Postby Clach Liath » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:50 pm

Bod wrote:Well folks, that's me back from dinner in the Kintail Lodge tonight, sorry for the delay, especially Susie as I did not mean to be so long! Guess what though we met Clach Liath (grey stone) in the bar tonight and got chatting, so the Kintail meet continues.... :D :D :lol:

Clach Liath recognised me as Ritchie's owmer, so I brought Ritchie down to meet him too... :lol:

Indeed - the most famous dog on WH methinks. :lol: Oh yes, and good to meet you and Valerie too. :wave:
Clach Liath
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:82
Fionas:37   Donalds:37
Sub 2000:129   Hewitts:240
Wainwrights:214   
Walk wish-list

Postby Bod » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:21 pm

Clach Liath wrote:
Bod wrote:Well folks, that's me back from dinner in the Kintail Lodge tonight, sorry for the delay, especially Susie as I did not mean to be so long! Guess what though we met Clach Liath (grey stone) in the bar tonight and got chatting, so the Kintail meet continues.... :D :D :lol:

Indeed - the most famous dog on WH methinks. :lol: Oh yes, and good to meet you and Valerie too. :wave:
Attachments
DSCN6483.jpg
Bod
Walker

Postby Bod » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:29 pm

mrssanta wrote:I want a picture of yourself carrying the dog!!!

Well mrssanta, maybe I will find that photo for you! I will check with Gavin99 and Morecambe Monkey? :lol:
Bod
Walker

Postby Jock McJock » Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:13 am

Nice one Bod, some cracking pics there. Looks like you all had a great weekend :D
Jock McJock
Mountain Walker

Munros:173   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:1   

Postby morag1 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:22 am

Looks like you all had a great time, well done everyone :clap:

Nice photos
morag1

12 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland