walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Nevis

Ben Nevis

Postby GERRYBHOY » Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:24 pm

Route description: Ben Nevis by the Mountain Path

Munros included on this walk: Ben Nevis

Date walked: 14/08/2009

Time taken: 6 hours

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A group of 10 of us set out to climb this for a charity event. We read many accounts of previous climbers and had spoken to a few people who had previously completed this walk. Based on this I thought it was just going to be a long pleasant comfortable walk. :lol: The weather that day was awful especially from the half way point. Despite wearing protective clothing we were still completely drenched right through to the skin. The wind speed seemed to ramp up about half way up and it was so powerful I was struggling to progress. It was at this point I tried to put on another waterproof layer and I battled for at least 10 mins to get them on. The clothes were flapping vigorously behind me as I wrestled and struggled to pull them on. Foolishly I didnt bring any gloves and the falling temperature coupled with wind chill factor meant I just had to put socks over my hands. This team event was fast becoming every man for themselves and you couldnt hear a word anyone was shouting from inches away.The pathway was initially very easy but becoming increasingly more rocky and slippery the further we ascended. It was easily identifiable up to the 3/4 point where a couple of us went slightly off track as we went straight ahead when we should have veered round a slight left turn.
We were far in the clouds by this point and so checking out the scenery was crossed off our lists.
I was determined not to ask anyone descending how long it was to go as I knew the answer would further dishearten me.Unfortunately a few people felt compelled to pass on the dreaded progress report on their way past "you are only about an hour away now, its freezing and you cant see a thing". Yep thanks for that motivational boost guys :D
Anyway the final third was just about perseverence, determination and a whole lot of slipping. The cairns on the route were invaluable as we could barely see a thing and they kept us on course. We eventually arrived at the summit where I removed the socks from my hands and struggled with frozen fingers to tear the seal and open a bottle of Balvenie. This was the best tasting and most deserved dram Ive had to date Cheers !
GERRYBHOY
Mountaineer

Re: Ben Nevis

Postby walk aboot » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:07 pm

That sounds so awful Gerrybhoy, I'll sponsor your soaking wet and windswept team for your effort if you have a justgiving page :)
walk aboot

Munros:36   Corbetts:4
Donalds:1
Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:2   Islands:27

Postby GERRYBHOY » Tue Sep 29, 2009 7:02 am

Yep It wasnt ideal but it made getting to the top feel all the better.
The charity side has gone superbly well as it was for a great cause. We have still to add a lot more offline donations and hope to do so this week. Check out our firstgiving page....

http://www.justgiving.com/GERRY-GRANT
GERRYBHOY
Mountaineer

Postby walk aboot » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:59 am

Done :thumbup:

Janet.
walk aboot

Postby GERRYBHOY » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:01 pm

Thanks very much for that Janet ! I think we have another approx £1600 to add to the total for offline donations so its been a huge success and should end up over £5k. :thumbup:
GERRYBHOY
Mountaineer

Postby walk aboot » Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:13 pm

No worries, I think anyone who continues with their Ben Nevis walk in those conditions deserves the small price of a pint and a packet of scampi fries. When you are doing it for charity you are committed, can't turn back.

I had a look at your justgiving site too and I think the fantastic amount raised is a huge boost for the friends and family of who you were doing the charity event in memory of, something to be really chuffed about :D

Well done :thumbup:
walk aboot

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland