walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

A blast of winter above Achnashellach

A blast of winter above Achnashellach

by joenorris » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:06 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Liath Mhòr, Sgòrr Ruadh

Date walked: 04/04/2012

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 16.7 km

Ascent: 1469m

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: A blast of winter above Achnashellach

Postby Vick1 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 12:08 pm

Nice photos and Ive got my eye on these two hills sometime in May or June ( with or without the snow ) :)
Vick1
Munro compleatist

Munros:42   Corbetts:10
Fionas:5   
Hewitts:64
Wainwrights:73   

Postby joenorris » Sun Apr 08, 2012 11:25 am

BlackPanther wrote:Great to see a report from this area, and some fantastic photos from the summits, too. We went there three times last year, each mountain we climbed was in cloud and we never saw any summit views. That's just as bad as luck can be. On the other hand - a good excuse to go back :lol:

That's unlucky, although I'm sure a load of folk have had similar experiences on these hills. Definitely a group to save for a day with good weather - better luck next time!

jimandandrea wrote:It is amazing to see the difference a few days make between Snodland's report and yours.

Yup it's amazing, I wouldn't recognise the hills from Jakeyboy's or Snodland's report - they take on an entirely different character with the snow, particularly the Beinn Liath Mhor ridge.

Cheers for all the rest of the comments guys - very kind.
joenorris

Munros:232   Corbetts:79
Fionas:10   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:50
Wainwrights:40   

Postby PeteR » Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:05 pm

Really, really enjoyed this report joenorris :D And your photos were superb :D This is an area I have on my radar for this year, although I won't be enjoying such a stunning snowscape as you enjoyed here. Your report and pictures will be invaluable reference material for when I do do these two hills.

I know what you mean about these sort of days though. You just don't want them to end :D
PeteR
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:173
Fionas:121   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:200   Hewitts:3
Islands:9

9 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland