walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Good Friday for best viewpoint in Moray - but not for us!

Good Friday for best viewpoint in Moray - but not for us!

Postby dogplodder » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:00 pm

Route description: Ben Rinnes ascent

Corbetts included on this walk: Ben Rinnes

Date walked: 06/04/2012

Distance: 7.5 km

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

I remember when we were in Romania being flabbergasted by the extreme changes in weather. One day we were bare armed in hot sunshine and the next day it was winter coats and snow on the ground. I thought then how we'd have none of this extreme nonsense in the good old temperate UK. Well last week I had to revise that opinion. :?

Tree in our garden a week ago - check that sky!
DSC02586-large.jpg

That same tree on Tuesday
DSC02637-large.jpg

Evelyn and Kath had the day off for Good Friday so we had planned to do a hill. We decided on an easy one with a good path as Moira is having bother with the pins in her ankle and it's not liking uneven terrain. Ben Rinnes seemed to fit the bill nicely but after the gorgeous warm weather - followed by the dump of snow - what kind of weather should we expect? A couple of days before MWIS was saying 60% for Cairngorms but that was later revised down to 10% - odds we wouldn't normally bother to go out on. But we decided to go for it anyway.

We had a leisurely start from murky Inverness and headed for Aberlour. Having lived there Kath knew all the short cuts and I don't think I could from memory repeat all the twists and turns of that journey! :?: But it didn't matter as I wasn't driving and in any case we returned via Grantown which made for an interesting round trip.

We had a brief stop in Aberlour and as we neared the start point we should have been able to see Ben Rinnes but all we could see was very low cloud.... and it was raining. Quick discussion followed about whether we should switch plans and do a stretch of the Spey Way. But I was quite keen to stick with plan A as I've a date with my son to climb Buachaille Etive Mor on 20th and I really needed to get a hill in before then! The others were happy with that and we parked at the designated spot on the minor road off the B9009, where although it was now well after 11.00 there was only one car sitting there. With this being such a popular hill I wonder why that would be? :o :lol: We met the couple from the car coming down with their two Jack Russell terriers who looked like they'd had enough of the weather (the dogs, not the people, who looked very cheery) and they were the only people we met on the hill.

Not much doubt about the way to go then
DSC02642-large.jpg

The crew all geared up
DSC02643-large.jpg

After managing several big hills last year Moira' s been having more and more pain from the screws and plate in her ankle. Since the bones have now healed the thinking is she would be better off without the metalwork so she's waiting to have it removed and this was to be her last walk before her surgery. I was hoping this hill wouldn't be over ambitious.

Moira with Glen Rinnes below
DSC02644-large.jpg

The green of those fields is the only colour we saw all day
DSC02645-large.jpg

We followed the good track (which in places was running like a river) over Roy's Hill and got our first glimpse of the summit wreathed in cloud.

Ben Rinnes not looking inviting
DSC02646-large.jpg

I had my microspikes with me but didn't use them as the snow on the track was so soft and could mostly be avoided.

Looking back
DSC02647-large.jpg

DSC02648-large.jpg

Well maintained path with steps built in many places presumably to fight erosion
DSC02650-large.jpg

I knew the views from here were extensive and that on a good day you can see the Moray coast and most of the north east of Scotland. But not today! :(

DSC02651-large.jpg

To raise the spirits and energy levels we stopped and had what I was led to believe was not our official lunch stop before the final pull to the summit. It's just as well we did as it was so windy and cold at the top it wasn't conducive to sitting around and we never did stop to eat again.... so I finished my egg roll back at the car. :lol:

Just below the summit we saw a flock of small birds which made me think dotterel but they were too small and it's a bit early for dotterel - unless they're as confused as the rest of us with global warming! Kath reckons they were snow bunting, tough little birds that nest in rocky terrain high up. With their white markings and the way they move in their flocks they look a bit like snow flakes falling to the ground. It was a bonus to see them. :thumbup:

Approaching the summit
DSC02652-large.jpg

I love the top of this hill with its granite tors and that almost made up for the total lack of views. Almost. :D It will be a great place to come back to with the grandsons who will enjoy a bit of easy scrambling on these well weathered rounded rocks.

Happy quines at the trig point
DSC02654-large.jpg

Two Kaths on the rocks
IMG_0211.JPG

Going down Kath dived into a patch of snow and disappeared almost up to her waist causing her to fall headlong as she extricated herself. By the time I had the camera out (damp gloves eased off, camera fished out of pocket and then out of case) she was almost upright and wasn't too keen to oblige me with my demands for an action replay! :lol:

DSC02655-large.jpg

If anything the descent was more taxing than the ascent for Moira's ankle, especially on the wet rock steps, but she coped well :thumbup: and it wasn't long before we were back at the car.

Slight improvement in visibility on the descent
DSC02656-large.jpg

And so to the coffee shop in Aberlour. I need to point out to eagle-eyed soulminer that we really wouldn't have gone in there except we had to find a suitable rendezvous point with Kath's daughter and this seemed as good as any! :roll:

The other three ordered scones but since I'm not fussed about scones and had just had my lunch egg roll when we got back to the car I wasn't hungry.

Restraint personified :angel:
DSC02657-large.jpg

But I hadn't expected such a big cup, In Inverness for the same price you get a comparatively small cup. It looked an awful lot of wetness without anything with it and my resolve was starting to crumble. Then Kath's lovely daugher arrived and ordered a piece of malteser cake with her cup of tea. That was my final undoing. :oops:

No Kath, you have your scone, this chocolate baby is all mine :shifty:
DSC02658-large.jpg

Another great day out with the girls! :thumbup:
Last edited by dogplodder on Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Re: Good Friday for best viewpoint in Moray - but not for us

Postby kath098 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:28 pm

A good day out despite the weather. Good company transcends all!
The birds were snow buntings, I think. http://www.birdguides.com/species/species.asp?sp=155045
kath098
Mountaineer

Munros:36   Corbetts:4

Postby soulminer » Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:56 pm

A wee mountain stroll, and dogless no less, must be a tea-room ending :)
dog plodder wrote:
coffee shop

Noticed that- no tea-room today :shock: ( The difference being ?......)

CAKE, maybe not :think:

dogplodder wrote :
Restraint personified

Well- Liar, Liar Pants on Fire :lol:
dogplodder lied :
this chocolate baby is all mine

To good to be true, patterns never change :lol: A wee tate of OCD ( Obsessive Cakeshop Distraction)Syndrome, I would reckon :thumbup:

At least the weather didn't put a halt on the days proceedings. Glad you all enjoyed it. Cheers DP 8)
soulminer

Postby dogplodder » Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:20 pm

kath098 wrote:The birds were snow buntings, I think. http://www.birdguides.com/species/species.asp?sp=155045

Spot on! Still mostly in winter plumage - which unlike ptarmigan is brown in winter and the male white in summer. Must make them a bit vulnerable to predators?

Yes, great day. :D
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Sat Apr 07, 2012 5:21 pm

soulminer wrote:To good to be true, patterns never change :lol: A wee tate of OCD ( Obsessive Cakeshop Distraction)Syndrome, I would reckon :thumbup:

I thought if I called it a coffee shop you might not notice. :roll:
dogplodder

Postby monty » Sun Apr 08, 2012 10:15 am

Nice report Dogplodder. Aye the snow returned with a vengeance but only for a day or two. The clag is back :lol: :lol:
monty

Postby mrssanta » Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:40 pm

Good to see Scotland's most popular view back on a walk report, it's been terrible seeing all these blue skies lately. Also hope all goes well with Moira's ankle op and that it's the better for getting the metalwork out xxx to Moira
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby Clach Liath » Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:50 pm

Nothing wrong with a good tea/coffee shop in my opinion. :D :D Perhaps you should start a "good tea shop guide" on the General Discussion Forum DP :lol:
Clach Liath
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:82
Fionas:37   Donalds:37
Sub 2000:129   Hewitts:240
Wainwrights:214   
Walk wish-list

Postby dogplodder » Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:38 pm

monty wrote:Aye the snow returned with a vengeance but only for a day or two. The clag is back :lol: :lol:

Not sure what to expect now - a second spring.... or summer.... or straight into autumn? :lol:
dogplodder

Postby dogplodder » Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:40 pm

mrssanta wrote: Also hope all goes well with Moira's ankle op and that it's the better for getting the metalwork out xxx to Moira

Thanks mrs s, I'll pass xxx on to her! :D
dogplodder

Postby RicKamila » Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:40 pm

dogplodder wrote:
monty wrote:Aye the snow returned with a vengeance but only for a day or two. The clag is back :lol: :lol:

Not sure what to expect now - a second spring.... or summer.... or straight into autumn? :lol:

We've had summer last week, so it's only Autumn to go now :lol:

I think we're going to have a lovely summer this time around. Remember May last year? It will be like that. Perfect!!
RicKamila
Mountaineer

Munros:5   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:16   

Postby dogplodder » Sun Apr 08, 2012 6:42 pm

Clach Liath wrote: Perhaps you should start a "good tea shop guide" on the General Discussion Forum DP :lol:

Now there's a thought - I think we could quite enjoy researching that! :shifty: :lol:
dogplodder

Postby morag1 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:41 pm

That's a nice way to spent Good Friday :D My best wishes to your 3 friends, i hope to read more of your exploits soon
morag1

Postby AlisonFox66 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 7:46 pm

I thought this was about Bin Of Cullen when i saw the title
That was one of my grey viewpoints on Friday ; Brown Muir was the other one .
cloudy, wet and disappointing

Whilst i won't be back on Brown Muir , I will return to Bin of Cullen - it almost feels wrong to have climbed it with no view

it is an new area of Scotland for me and I will be back .
AlisonFox66
Ambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:219   Donalds:87
Sub 2000:497   Hewitts:311
Wainwrights:214   

Postby dogplodder » Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:42 am

RicKamila wrote:I think we're going to have a lovely summer this time around. Remember May last year? It will be like that. Perfect!!

We'll hold you to that! :D :lol:
dogplodder

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland