walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Macdui

Ben Macdui

Postby neilsang8 » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:57 pm

Munros included on this walk: Ben Macdui, Càrn a' Mhàim, Derry Cairngorm

Date walked: 08/04/2012

Time taken: 10.25 hours

Distance: 31 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Cycled to Derry Lodge from Linn of Dee on own. First experience of cycling before a walk and first time on my bike for about 18 months. Not a pleasent experience on the way out but fantastic on the way back as I passed other walkers on foot trudging back.

Headed up Carn aMhaim following path. Weather was meant to be good with 80% chance of cloud free munros and little wind. There was still patchy snow on the ground which obviously lay on the path. Clear at top although tops of higher peaks in mist. Made good going to top and took in the sub summit before stopping slightly down the ridge for a bite to eat.

Walked along ridge looking at cloud on Ben Macdui which didn't look like shifting and started accent. Following the path impossible due to snow and it was more a case of boulder hopping to avoid the snow between the rocks. Looking up thought why do I want to do this?

Stopped again to refuel as hadn't had much on first stop and struggling. Steady progress on way up to reach a snowy and cloudy summit, made all the better by steady flurries of snow. Had top to myslef and saw nothing apart form the map which pointed out what I couldhave seen.

Headed back towards cliffs and followed these along to Where they eased off for the bealach for Derry Cairngorm. No views, sleet and drizzle were now the order or the day. Snow on this side deep (above knee level) so stayed off patch and kept on rocks.#

Headed up Derry Cairngorm boulder hopping again to avoid snow and stooped on far side for a bite to eat. My left knee at this poiny decided to cease up and was painful on and off for the rest of the day on steep descent.

Took in the last hill on the way back as I felt sorry for it as it had a nice cairn on the top and the path skirted the side. Decision also influenced by the snow on the path and the drop to death if trying to use it. Path on the way back very pleasant and then cut through woods straight back to lodge.

All in all a good day slightly marred by the disappointing weather against the forecast.

I flew on the way back on the bike.
neilsang8
Munro compleatist

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland