walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Lomond - 92 Walkers & 2 dogs!

Ben Lomond - 92 Walkers & 2 dogs!

Postby fishboy1 » Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:22 pm

Route description: Ben Lomond

Munros included on this walk: Ben Lomond

Date walked: 06/04/2012

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 12 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

6th April 2012 - It was an early start. I got George up at 5am and we were away in the car from home in the Borders before 6, heading for our first Munro. Arrived at the car park at Rowardennan a little before 8 and spent a few minutes wondering if we would be able to summit today - we had seen that the higher peaks were cloud covered. We decided that we would go as far as we could, but not take any chances....being our 1st Munro, the "tourist" path seemed very sensible. Boots on, bag packed with waterproofs, jam sandwiches, jelly babies & plenty of chocolate, we set off.

George getting ready
IMG01064.jpg

It was an easy start with a few rocky climbs - and generally the walk up wasn't too taxing on the whole, with a few steeper, rocky climbs. Views of Loch Lomond and the surrounding hills were fantastic, just a shame that the peaks were all shrouded in cloud

George takes a breather
IMG01067.jpg

Another little rest
IMG01068.jpg

As we climbed, we got closer to the cloud. Took a break behind a nice big boulder - out of the wind - and fuelled up, then headed into the cloud, wondering how far we still had to go.
Visibility was relatively good and the path is wide and easy to follow, so we continued.
We were still undecided as to whether to push for the summit - visibility being a concern, and now there were a few small snow patches too.
Seeing a group of 5 catching us gave us motivation to keep going and soon we passed a chap on his way down - he must have gone up Ptarmigan. Asking how far we had left to go, he told us 5 minutes, maybe less...

Are we nearly there yet?
IMG01069.jpg

With this news, George suddenly got a spring in his step and we were at the summit in less that 5 minutes. George was thrilled to bits that he had made it and very glad that he kept going on the couple of occasions when he'd thought he couldn't do it.

Made it!
IMG01071.jpg

We didn't hang around - no view from the summit - and it was cold, so after a couple of photo's we were on our way back down

Glad I brought my hat & gloves
IMG01072.jpg

We passed the 5 walkers shortly after leaving the summit - 2 adults and 3 young children - and thoroughly enjoyed the descent....described by George as "tough on the legs, but a lot easier than going up". Cloud had come down from earlier, so we didn't pop out until about half way down. George kept track of the people we passed - I'm always telling him that on a 20 mile section of Southern Upland Way, I saw no-one. Total for the day - 92 walkers and 2 dogs!
It was after 5pm when we got home and despite being tired, George informed me that he is going to do some more Munro's - and based on 10 a year he should be finished by the time he's 40! His suggestion is that for the next one, we camp nearby so it's not such a long day.
Onwards & upwards!
fishboy1
Mountaineer

Munros:12   Corbetts:1
Grahams:3   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:5

Re: Ben Lomond - 92 Walkers & 2 dogs!

Postby SMRussell » Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:48 pm

Well done on your first Munro. Shame about the clag - but at least you got some views and were on a straightforward path.
There's no chance of escaping the world on these popular Munros but 92 people... :shock: ?!
SMRussell

Munros:157   Corbetts:10
Grahams:5   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:18   Hewitts:103
Wainwrights:81   Islands:8

Postby MagsG » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:00 pm

Well Done. Hope there are plenty more walks (with views preferably) to enjoy this year.
MagsG
Mountaineer

Munros:1   Corbetts:1
Grahams:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   

Postby monty » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:02 pm

Well done on your first munro. Shame about the weather but good on you for persevering. :D
monty

Postby mrssanta » Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:14 pm

Good Effort both of you
mrssanta
Munro compleatist

Munros:245   Corbetts:10
Grahams:3   
Sub 2000:9   Hewitts:44
Wainwrights:40   Islands:8

Postby craighall » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:45 am

Congratulations on your first Munro.

This was my first Munro too, but I made harder work of it than you ! It was a very sunny day, and I kept stopping to savour the views, which doesn't do much for the rhythm !!
craighall
Mountaineer

Munros:10   
Grahams:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:7   Hewitts:4

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland