walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Bynack More and Cairn Gorm

Bynack More and Cairn Gorm

Postby Kozmik » Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:09 pm

Munros included on this walk: Bynack More, Cairn Gorm

Date walked: 27/09/2009

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 12 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

A double celebration for my brothers' 40th and 50th birthdays preceeded our venture into the hills. So much grub and mandolin assisted carousing the night before is perhaps not the best preparation for some strenuous walking, but undaunted by the dramatic change in the weather, from glorious sun to gale force wind and rain, we set off from Coire na Ciste car park at mid-day. The young whipper-snapper set off at a pace across the moor, while the rest of us waited for the auld yin to get back down to the car park having left the motor at the ski centre. The first view we got of Bynack More was through the bealach, and the way the weather was going I thought this might be our only view of it.
DSCN1795.JPG
Bynack More from the bealach near Coire na Ciste

A steep descent into Strath Nethy took us by a circular speech bubble lochan and over a couple of burns before an even steeper ascent up the heather before we could engage with a track that would take us to Bynack Beg.
DSCN1796.JPG
Strath Nethy

Despite the 90mph gusts and the whisky induced fatigue we managed to stay on our feet and the cloud base meant we could at this point see some distance and colour in the landscape.
DSCN1797.JPG
Ascending into the clouds.

We met up with the whipper-snapper at the summit, where he had met one of the friendly locals. :)
DSCN1799.JPG
40 yr old man mistaken for Santa by reindeer.

We sat down behind the tor for a spot of lunch and chewed the cud with our furry friend, then set off for the Barns of Bynack, our herd compliment now increased by one.
DSCN1798.JPG
Leading the way.

Some interesting chasms in the granite open up offering shelter but we pressed on to A' Choinneach prior to descending to the Saddle.
DSCN1807.JPG
Loch A'an beyond A' Choinneach

DSCN1810.JPG
Granite formations

After a quick consultation of the map we trudged up Cairn Gorm, led by the lad with the funny head-gear most of the way.
DSCN1809.JPG
Creag Mhor from A' Choinneach

On the way up we saw grouse already developing winter plumage and a couple of mountain hares. The visibility deteriorated near the summit and we scooted off down past the Ptarmiagan where by now the whipper-snapper was regretting his early pace and suffering in the knees in descent. I told him to walk backwards and this indeed did the trick, though I don't recommend doing all the Munros backwards. Wonder if it's been done? :shock: So with a Goon song in our minds and a reindeer for company we eventually got to the ski centre where we could re-unite our pal with members of his own species. I've never came across a semi-wild animal as friendly and laid back 8) , and I can honestly say that as much as the wind was a pain he more than made up for it and capped off a fantastic weekend. :D
Kozmik
Munro compleatist

Munros:51   

Re: Bynack More and Cairn Gorm

Postby kevsbald » Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:00 pm

Brilliant!
How lucky were you with the reindeer? Didn't realise they were roaming aboot up there? In fact, I had no eye-deer.... :lol:
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:260   Corbetts:115
Grahams:76   Donalds:51
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:9
Wainwrights:15   

Postby hills » Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:43 pm

Did have have rain dear? Sorry, couldnt resist that, very lucky meeting those locals. :D
hills
Munro compleatist

Munros:215   Corbetts:109
Grahams:109   Donalds:65
Sub 2000:157   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:8   

Postby StokeyNeil » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:02 pm

I think that Sami the reindeer only followed us 'cos the fifer was wearing red - either that or he's the new SMC bad weather guide... :D
StokeyNeil
Munro compleatist

Munros:31   Corbetts:9
Grahams:4   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:28   Hewitts:7
Wainwrights:8   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland