walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Isle of Raasay

Isle of Raasay

Postby Euan McIntosh » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:37 pm

Sub 2000' hills included on this walk: Dun Caan (Raasay)

Date walked: 08/04/2012

Distance: 16.8 km

Ascent: 980m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

large versions of all pictures and a few more are here

There was no way I was going to pass up the opportunity to go to Raasay so on Friday I found myself boarding the 15:00 ferry from Sconser. The picture below, of the ferry, is actually from the return trip.

A.jpg
The Ferry

DAY ONE

We were staying in the Raasay Youth Hostel just above Osgaig and had to place to ourselves, or as much as you can have a place to yourself when there are thirteen of you. If any of you are considering a trip to Raasay I can happily say the hostel is an excellent place to stay. The next day we set of for Umachan, a now deserted village at the north of the island that some of my ancestors were cleared to from the south. The road drives over increasing wild terrain until you get to Brochel castle were we stopped at the start of calums road. The road was built by one crofter over many years after the council repeatedly refused to build a road to the township of Arnish. It is perfectly driveable but has some “interesting” corners. From Arnish where the road ends the path to Umachan goes down past the old school building that serviced the north end of the island and up a short climb through some birch trees. At the top of this climb you emerge onto flat heathery ground beneath the cliffs of Meall Dearg. The view then opens out back over Loch Arnish.

B.jpg
Panorama of Loch Arnish

From here the path continues up and over the sides of Beinn na h-lolaire with a branch going off to Eilean Fladday beforehand. A wooden post marks the turn off for Umachan were the well-made path continues on to Eilean Tigh. The path to Umachan is very boggy and in places almost disappears. It was at one of these points we drifted to far south and ended up descending a very steep slope where holding onto the heather and jumping down sections was necessary. The houses at Umachan are still in good shape with one still having a gable end and chimney.

C.jpg
House at Umachan

For the route back we headed north to meet up with the path that runs to Doire Dubh and then up a sheepish gully to region the main path to Arnish.

D.jpg

DAY TWO

The morning of easter Sunday we decided to take the short walk part way to Hallaig and visit the cairn to Sorley Maclean on Rubha na’ Leac. The walk is flat and easy as far as the cairn and gives great views over the Inner Sound and across to Applecross and the Cowlin Islands.

E.jpg
The cairn to Sorley Maclean

F.jpg
Dun Caan and the Inner sound

The view up the slopes above Hallaig to Dun Caan is very impressive with the hill resembling a smaller version of Stac Polliadh

G.jpg
Dun Caan

That Afternoon was set aside for the ascent of Dun Caan, Rassays highest point at 444m. The weather at the start of the walk was not exactly conducive to hill climbing with the ever present drizzle turning to heavy rain and wind whipping it into every nook. Setting of up the slopes the easily followed path was more of a burn then track but allowed good time to be made up the shallow incline towards the summit.

H.jpg
Approaching Dun Caan

I.jpg
View back to skye

A small lochan is passed that is perched right on the edge of a steep descent into a gully with Loch Na Meilich at one end and Loch Mna at the other.

J.jpg
Loch Na Meilich

The summit itself is very flat and fairly grassy although very windswept at that point in time.

K.jpg
The summit

L.jpg

The cloud was by now lifting and the cuillin could be seen while sun shone down on the Sound of Raasay.

M.jpg

The west side of Dun Caan appears from above at least to be almost entirely cliff with a long drop down to the loch below, the village of Hallaig and the cairn to Sorley could just be made out.

N.jpg
Inner sound

The next day (mon) we returned home after a spree of cuillin photography and tidying of youth hostel.

O.jpg
Colour in the clouds above Glamaig

P.jpg
Sunset

Q.jpg
Venus and a meteor trail over skye

R.jpg

S.jpg
Sgurr na Gillean

T.jpg
Cuillin Panorama

U.jpg

W.jpg

X.jpg
Kintail

Y.jpg

Z.jpg
Commando Memorial
Euan McIntosh
Rock-climber

Munros:168   Corbetts:13
Grahams:7   Donalds:4
Sub 2000:13   
Islands:9

Re: Isle of Raasay

Postby RicKamila » Wed Apr 11, 2012 6:33 pm

I love anything to do with Skye, and Raasay is on our list of places to go to next time. Love the photos too. Now to win the lotto and retire young over there :lol:
RicKamila
Mountaineer

Munros:5   Corbetts:5
Grahams:3   
Sub 2000:16   

Postby Caberfeidh » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:45 am

Excellent vignette of old Raasay, a place I am familiar with from my youth...
More on Sorley MacLean here: http://www.somhairlemacgilleain.org/english/

Excellent photos, love the starry Venus and meteor trail especially.
Caberfeidh
Stravaiging

Postby Klaasloopt » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:52 am

Very special, intriguing place. Thanks for a look into this small corner of Scotland.
Klaasloopt
Hill Bagger

Munros:147   Corbetts:63
Grahams:9   
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:49
Islands:11

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

Your generosity keeps this site running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland