walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The last of the summer wine. :-| A WH introduction. :-)

The last of the summer wine. :-| A WH introduction. :-)

Postby meangarry » Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:51 am

Route description: Ettrick Hills horseshoe

Fionas included on this walk: Ettrick Pen

Donalds included on this walk: Ettrick Pen, Loch Fell, Wind Fell

Date walked: 17/03/2012

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 20 km

Ascent: 1110m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Another walk from last month and as the title says the story of how I came upon this great site. On this walk were my good buddys Cammy and Willy. The route chosen was a slight variation on the WH ettrick horseshoe route adapted slightly to suit walkers from moffat (mainly me, yep). Saving a round trip to Ettrick I planned a circular route starting at moffat water hall, its only a few minutes drive from Moffat and has ample parking even if a little road walking had to be suffered. :(

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

So we set off back towards Moffat only for Cammy to have to run back to the car for his sun glebs. Essential kit on sunny days like we were having back then. After he caught up we passed through selcoth fish farm and headed up the valley following selcoth burn. A good path was followed until we forded the burn about halfway along the valley. Then the track became nothing but a sheep trail on the steep side of croft head.
003 (800x530).jpg
Looking back along selcoth burn.

It was now that Willy decides to tell us that he isn't the best with heights! Great. :lol: The funny thing was that he was really panicking. Maybe on a windy day the narrow path might become a scramble along the loose rock but there was only a light breeze! Nevertheless, scramble along the path he did. :lol:
018 (800x530).jpg
Willy struggling!

This part of the valley is really spectacular with loose rock and landslip all around. Particularly impressive is the side of Capel Fell and the craigmichen scar. Hopefully I captured it in this pic.
006 (800x530).jpg
Landlipped side of Capel Fell

After we had made it to the end of the valley we briefly joined the SUW. The next challenge was the ascent of Loch Fell and particularly its west know. A photo from another walk shows the gradient quite well.
041 (800x530).jpg
Loch Fell west knowe.

Willy, who had got his legs back, shot off up the hill at a fair rate. Cammy and me struggled slightly but it was rather steep!
steephill (640x481).jpg
Awfy steep bit.

The summit was eventually reached and thanks to the nice flat plateau between the east and west knowe we all look quite fresh in this trig shot. ( having a wee remote doo dah for your camera is really useful especially for candid lunch shots...)
032 (800x528).jpg
Loch fell trig. Willy, Cammy and myself.

The views were good too, the solway and criffel to the southwest, queensberry to the west and all of the hartfell horsehoe were looking good in the midday sun.
045 (800x530).jpg
Trig and Blackhope

The bothy from Wind Fell.
068 (800x530).jpg
Over Phawhope and Potburn

Shortly after passing a really boggy patch and getting up and over Wind Fell we all felt it was time for lunch. I stabbed my walking pole into the soft ground and connected my snap happy camera to the top. Took about 20 shots but this is by far the best. Cammy has no clue whats going on. :lol: :lol: :lol:
058 (800x529).jpg
Lunch

After posting these pics on facebook one of my non walking pals decided we looked like the last of the summer wine. Willy wasn't chuffed as he got tarred with the compo brush. :lol:
lastofthesummerwine.jpg
Cheeky Buggers!

Dunno which one that makes me but is there really a favourable comparison??? :-|
Replenished after lunch we set off for hopetoun craig and towards our main aim for the day ettrick pen. Willy then decided to spend about 15mins photographing this one cairn. :roll: To be fair a little break after lunch is always welcome plus the cairn was a nice one.
071 (800x530).jpg
Cairn and Hartfell

The climb up the pen looked severe although the closer we got the easier it became.
077 (800x530).jpg
Ettrick Pen

It was about now that a lone figure on our route appeared. Maybe it was too long a lunch stop, maybe it was arty farty Willy taking too many pictures! Whatever it was this guy was catching us! Grr!!! The summit of the pen was reached and the curvature of the hill meant we lost sight of this lone walker. Hurried formalities were had by the ancient cairn.
079 (800x530).jpg
Cairn on the pen

We began the knee punishing descent towards Over Phawhope bothy and didn't stop until we made the forest track. Looking back the lone walker was nowhere to be seen. Where had he gone? A different route no doubt. Willy wanted to slow the pace and take photos. Cammy wanted to play bear grylls. :wtf: :lol:
082 (800x530).jpg
Willy's pipe dream.
cammygrylls (640x484).jpg
Cammy Grylls

Wait, wait, no, he was still on our route and hot on our tails. We had to move fast!!!
093 (800x530).jpg
Company

We made it down to the bothy and once again curiosity got the best of us. The lone walker took advantage of our short attention spans and slow pace and caught us. :( Not to worry though he was a friendly chap! He even pointed me in the direction of this site! Thanks laconic surf!!! :D
After messing around at the bothy we set off for Potburn. The abandoned farmhouse was dreary looking and a weird feeling of being watched was prevolent. It reminded me of the tale of the bodesbeck brownie. I told the lads of how this mythical cave dwelling creature tended the farmers flock at night in return for milk and honey. They wondered what would it do if you failed to pay? We pondered that thought as we headed up the pass back to bodesbeck.
101 Fuse2 (800x530).jpg
Bodesbeck Brownie?

Still feeling slightly jumpy we walked along the forest path telling strange tales until Willy leapt across my path and almost knocked me over. The big fearty is petrified of frogs as well as heights and had spotted one on the track. He almost jumped out his boots! :lol: :lol: :lol: After having a good laugh at his expense we eventually made it down to Bodesbeck farm and the road back to the car.
105 (800x530).jpg
Saddle Yoke ridge

Another fine day out in the southern uplands. With good weather and good company you can't go far wrong.
Thanks for reading folks.
Ramble on. :wave:
meangarry

Munros:29   Corbetts:19
Fionas:15   Donalds:60
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:16
Wainwrights:23   

Re: The last of the summer wine. :-| A WH introduction. :-)

Postby Ranger » Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:59 am

Cracking pics, cracking report - the southern uplands have rarely sounded so much fun :lol: The local tourist board should recruit you and your pals.

A contender for my vote (if I had one) for report of the month :thumbup:
Ranger

Munros:282   Corbetts:74
Fionas:13   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:15   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:2   

Postby BoyVertiginous » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:14 am

meangarry wrote:Image

SP :shock: KY

Enjoyed the read, thanks.
BoyVertiginous
Wanderer

Munros:251   Corbetts:75
Fionas:26   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:49   Hewitts:33
Wainwrights:62   Islands:18

Postby morag1 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:26 am

A great fun report, but oh my God, that second last photo is spooky, just when you were talking about a feeling of being watched too :o
morag1

Postby Gavin99 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:28 am

:wtf: :shock:

I read this twice without noticing that!
Great report, thanks for posting :D
Gavin99
Mountaineer

Munros:280   Corbetts:134
Fionas:79   Donalds:71
Sub 2000:38   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:16   
Walk wish-list

Postby meangarry » Thu Apr 12, 2012 5:57 pm

Ha ha, thanks folks, you can't beat a little photoshopping to make a freaky photo! I've got plans to head back up this way fairly soon and spend the night in the bothy. I'll have to take a torch tho, with all this sp :shock: ky talk I think I've scared myself. :? It'll be my fisrt night in a bothy and I'll be able to bag the hills between bodesbeck law and capel fell which have thus far eluded me. Slowly but surely I'm ticking off all the hills around moffat. :)
meangarry

Postby laconic surf » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:25 pm

Haha, have only just seen this report, forgive my tardiness :D

As the "lone figure" in the fotie, i'm thinking some sort of appearance fee is due :lol: :lol:
The reason I dispappeared was I sat down to have my lunch!
Great report, glad your enjoying the site :D
laconic surf
Munro compleatist

Munros:100   Corbetts:1
Fionas:6   Donalds:19
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:2

Postby meangarry » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:55 pm

Yeah man, its become an essential tool. Thanks again for the heads up. Probably catch you in the hills sometime!
meangarry

Postby Scotjamie » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:07 pm

Thanks - Enjoyed that report very much. The spookiness may also be partly born of one of my favourite authors. I recommend The Brownie of Bodesbeck by James Hogg, the Ettrick Shepherd. It is one of the most atmospheric books I have read (beats the hell out of Walter Scott....imho). James Hogg was also wont to say, when asked to pronounce upon his favourite malt whisky...."If a body could just find oot the exac’ proper proportion and quantity that ought to be drunk every day, and keep to that, I verily trow that he might leeve for ever, without dying at a’, and that doctors and kirkyards would go oot o’ fashion" :)
Scotjamie
Wanderer

Munros:148   

Postby kevsbald » Wed Apr 18, 2012 8:12 am

This is what makes a great walk report - some imagination!
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland