walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Cobbler with soon-to-be BIL

The Cobbler with soon-to-be BIL

Postby kevsbald » Thu Oct 01, 2009 10:26 am

Route description: The Cobbler, Arrochar

Corbetts included on this walk: The Cobbler

Date walked: 26/09/2009

Time taken: 4 hours

Distance: 7 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Having done this before, I wanted to take my soon to be brother-in-law on the hill, who also happened to be a very keen photographer. Had initially planned Carn Mor Dearg with views of cliffs but the weather was dreich and I had no intention of driving 2.5 hours for drizzle and damp on Dearg. The route is straightforward from Succoth car park and rather than take the hill from the tourist path past the Narnain boulders, we deviated up towards the crags, hoping to find a route through these. As it was, we needn't have worried because there is a path which takes you past some cool little 'caves' and right below the ominous overhang. I felt sorry for Andrew because the views were rubbish and the full character of Ben Arthur could not be revealed. However, he seemed happy as the proverbial pig and snapped over 380 photographs! We ventured up to the 'eye of the needle' but gusts of about 40mph precluded us from making an attempt. To do so would have been folly and we were happy to eat lunch and ponder the inclement weather although neither of us were not enjoying ourselves. It's aye good to get out on the hill. We decided to return in Winter for some better snaps but I attach some for perusal. Hope they turn out as well as they look on my HAL. I am particularly fond of the photo with my wizened fizzog and God's wee shining light above my head. My grandmother had died that week and it is my somewhat romantic notion that this was her stairway to heaven. This sojourn was my wee trip to remember her.

CSC_0429 e.jpg
Looking back down from just below crags

DSC_0155 e.jpg
Far's the views?

DSC_0188 e.jpg
More crags on that forehead than the Cobbler

DSC_0255 e.jpg
Standard 'this way' pose

DSC_0264 e.jpg
The summit

DSC_0270 e.jpg
'Don't be a fool!'
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:274   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Re: The Cobbler with soon-to-be BIL

Postby IainG » Thu Oct 01, 2009 3:08 pm

Cracking photos. Atmospheric stuff and gives a good feel for what it must have been like.

Would much prefer this one in the sunshine though :thumbup:
IainG
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:11
Fionas:7   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:4   

Postby Alan S » Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:34 pm

yeh some good pics kev 8)
ive put this hill off a few times this year in favour of a munro but im really dying to get it done
fancy doing it before the years out

cheers alan :thumbup:
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

Postby Graeme D » Thu Oct 01, 2009 11:04 pm

Fantastic colours in that 2nd photo. Cobbler is high on my "to do" list as well but can't decide whether to try and wait for a white day or not.
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby kevsbald » Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:18 pm

I think it's a fab wee hill and leave it for a good day in either Summer or Winter. The BIL's equipment is seriously expensive and it does produce some wonderful colours in the shots even for a dreich day oot!
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:274   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Postby monty » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:22 am

Topclass photos kev. excellent :D
monty

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland