walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

25 Years a growing / Coig air Fchead a fás

25 Years a growing / Coig air Fchead a fás

Postby Collaciotach » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:06 pm

Munros included on this walk: Sgurr Thuilm

Date walked: 14/04/2012

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 8 km

Ascent: 500m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

DSCF4655.JPG
Gleann Fhionnain agus Sgurr Thuilm air ais
Nuair a bha mi óg , when i was a young Skyline chokerman in a forest near Gleann Fhionnan, twenty five years ago + :lol:...... i climbed Sgurr nan Coireachan in a freezing ,snowy January after a few drams in Coire a h Uailaidh bothy (corryhully)

With being a young fella ,hungover and a hill being a hill i hacked off mid horseshoe.... no a collector in those days :)

oh and

No electric bothies in those days !

Tha mi a smaoineadh bha sin mu dheidhinn 1985 ....... so on good Dihaoine na Ceusta (Good Friday) i took a wee walk up memory lane with Mrs Colla

Sgurr Thuilm was the destination

DSCF4655.JPG
Gleann Fhionnain agus Sgurr Thuilm air ais

DSCF4658.JPG
Ann s a Ghlinne

There is trees gu leor in the glen now and a tarmac road, with a wee "lodge" stuck under the hill for rich eejits to relax in...after shooting deer ....

No indigenous population N of the viaduct ,no cattle ,sheep ,croft or cemetery ,just ruins and a grand hydro scheme ... paid for by the tax payer.... on the backs of clearance and cultural genocide

An fuadach nan Gaidheil

I see our un natural landscape everyday, "an Cánan an Gaidheal" on every ridge ,bank , hill and loch ....only education will eradicate the "wilderness" myth.... the Gaidhealtachd is a man made ecological disaster, close to reaching the apex of human stupidity in "land management"

:(

The Hydro scars are covering at the head of the Ghlinne

DSCF4661.JPG
An Gaidheal Ura

and the carbon footprint is not being lowered .......however the Glen retains a beauty

DSCF4663.JPG
Druim Sgurr nan Coireachan

If you look upwards

DSCF4671.JPG
Streap a Comhlaidh

Its a faint path .....suas a druim but easy enough in clear days although its a long haul and hard on the legs

DSCF4672.JPG
Sguirr Thuilm

Once the druim is reached there is good sealltainn to the West and Loch Airidh Cuaig agus Cnoideart

DSCF4682.JPG
Loch Airidh Caig

DSCF4685.JPG
An Cu

DSCF4686.JPG
Loch Morar

DSCF4687.JPG
Sgorr na Ciche is na Garbh Criochan

We made good time onto the Mhullach ,in fact 2.5 hrs and ahead of a poor looking collection of showers to the NW and took a half hour at the carn for lunch and to take in the sealltainn

DSCF4701.JPG
An Iar a ribhist

DSCF4702.JPG
An Tuath

Uill bha an t side a fas mossach ....with stoirm -sneachda heading our way we took an idea no to head round the horseshoe to Coireachan......... and a good choice it turned to be!

DSCF4706.JPG
Gaor Bheinn neo "Gulvain"

DSCF4707.JPG
An t side mossach

We made good time off and soon Sgurr Thuilm disappeared into the frasachan agus sgoth

DSCF4710.JPG
Sgurr Thuilm aguis sgoth

Coig air fichead bliadhna a'dhaithgearr ..... 25yrs later in Gleann Fhionnan and poor silvicultural practice is rewarded with grants from the public purse, to Galldachd landowners, who feed the deer ,to shot them, after they have grazed the crop ,which should not have been planted in the first place, on a land which belongs to the now nearly extinct Gaidheal

Still the "access rights" are second to none

Breac à linne, slat à coille is fiadh à fìreach - mèirle às nach do ghabh gàidheal riamh nàire

DSCF4696.JPG
An cu air a mhullach
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:145
Grahams:31   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:23   
Islands:28

Re: 25 Years a growing / Coig air Fchead a fás

Postby Klaasloopt » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:07 am

Good writing, puncturing the wilderness myth. Remains of human activity in the Highlands (ruins, fences, walls etc) are very interesting. Saddening at times, they still offer a grand vista of times and lives past. The keen walker receives the education you wish for by keeping his eyes peeled.

(The horseshoe was my first and second munro. In Corryhully bothy I met 'the London Cabby', a West-Indies cab driver who climbed hills. He returned to the bothy with a newspaper and a loaf of bread, to me a welcome antidote to the cliche of the geared-up, hillbagging male)
Klaasloopt
Hill Bagger

Munros:147   Corbetts:63
Grahams:9   
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:49
Islands:11

Postby Klaasloopt » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:07 am

Good writing, puncturing the wilderness myth. Remains of human activity in the Highlands (ruins, fences, walls etc) are very interesting. Saddening at times, they still offer a grand vista of times and lives past. The keen walker receives the education you wish for by keeping his eyes peeled.

(The horseshoe was my first and second munro. In Corryhully bothy I met 'the London Cabby', a West-Indies cab driver who climbed hills. He returned to the bothy with a newspaper and a loaf of bread, to me a welcome antidote to the cliche of the geared-up, hillbagging male)
Klaasloopt
Hill Bagger

Munros:147   Corbetts:63
Grahams:9   
Sub 2000:20   Hewitts:49
Islands:11

Postby Collaciotach » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:41 pm

Klaasloopt wrote:Good writing, puncturing the wilderness myth. Remains of human activity in the Highlands (ruins, fences, walls etc) are very interesting. Saddening at times, they still offer a grand vista of times and lives past. The keen walker receives the education you wish for by keeping his eyes peeled.

The vista is incredible K .... like the "London |Cabby" story :D
Collaciotach
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:145
Grahams:31   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:23   
Islands:28

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland