walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Stuchd an Lochain

Stuchd an Lochain

Postby 2dalmatians » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:06 am

Route description: Stuchd an Lochain

Munros included on this walk: Stùcd an Lochain

Date walked: 15/04/2012

Time taken: 4.5 hours

Distance: 8.5 km

Ascent: 726m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

After a 12 day driving holiday in Holland (where there are absolutely no hills) I was in desperate need of a good leg stretch out in the hills. I had walked up Dumyat (Ochils) earlier in the week and was surprised by how tired I was at the top. It took me a good 10 minutes longer than usual. :( I did have a laugh at the top though when I was "spotted" by a fellow WH member - " hi are you the guy that writes on Walkhighlands website - 2dalmatians?" the fact that the real star (Ruby doo) was with me as usual made it obvious I think. Mrs 2d was in fits when I told her..." you'll be looking for an agent next, did you sign an autograph for him? - you'll need to take an ink pad so ruby can paw her signature..." 8) :lol: and so over the next few hours the complete p**** was taken by her and the kids at my expense. :( :lol:

Anyway onto the walk report for the day. We arrived at the Lochan Daimh failrly early - 830ish I think and immediately struck up a conversation with a guy (Mark) who was just getting ready to set off on a longer walk, both munro's plus a couple of other hills in a circular route. After a bit of discussion he decided to tackle Stuchd an Lochain first as he didnt fancy the steep descent later in the day.

So we set off together although I advised him that my pace would be a lot slower than his I thought.
417.JPG
away we go

We walked together for around an hour I think before Mark set off on his own. I thoroughly enjoyed the coversation (in between gasping for breath) on the way up. We covered a multitude of topics (hillwalking, scary climbs, anoach eagach, Inn Pinn, Everest, Dolomites, Religion, is there a god?, Hare Krishna, Buddhism the price of houses, diabetes, healthy eating plans, walking poles - good or bad?, cars, alcohol - how to make moonshine!, work, dogs and much more!! :lol: )
419.JPG
Mark looking down to the Boathouse

Once Mark departed I managed to find my walking rythmn (dead slow to stop) and was much happier!! :lol: I got the camera going and managed to get some photos. Once up the initial steep climb the views really open up. The Lawers range was spectacular as always.

426.JPG
looking back to Lochan just as we reached the top of the first steep climb

Then we got our first view of Stuchd an Lochain. Looking along the ridge - nice!! :D

428.JPG

429.JPG
The ridge walk and summit in the distance

MWIS had accurately predicted 90% summit clear however it was absolutely baltic up on the ridge. I may need to have a rethink about my layering. 2 long sleeve tee shirts and wind/waterproof softshell were not quite enough on the ridge but had me sweating buckets on the first climb up, resulting in a very cold walk along to the summit although the views and simply being in this wonderful environment were more than enough to take my mind off the cold. Ruby was neither up nor down by the weather and was running around like a demented rabbit as usual :lol:

It wasnt too long before we got our first glimpse of the little lochan below the summit cone.
437.JPG

438.JPG

Approaching the final climb it was clear care was needed as the patchy snow was slippy and although there is a clear path up, it is steep sided and a fall could have serious consequenses. At this point I also had not seen anyone else since Mark left. I had watched him climb up the final ridge from a long way off and make it look easy but then again we all have diffierent levels of capability/skill!!
445.JPG
Ruby unphased on the steep final climb

And finally we reached the top after 2.5 hours.
454.JPG
Not my best side!

The views were breath taking in all directions.
457.JPG
The Lawers range

460.JPG

471.JPG

463.JPG

475.JPG

477.JPG

We didnt hang around for too long at the top as the cold was starting to bite. And still no other soul in sight until halfway along the ridge back I met a chap and young boy (his son I think). The weather looked like it might be turning for the worse, the chap said he had a survival bag if needed! I was a little concerned for them that no one else was around, however this eased as I passed several groups of walkers later on the way down.

478.JPG
The man and young lad heading towards the summit

I must admit I was really toiling on the way down and even now the following morning I can feel the walk in my legs. So I was in need of some strong motivation and then it hit me! I could head to the Lawers hotel to see if they had any of the chicked stuffed with Haggis and Black pudding that had been so delicious following my climb up An Stuc a few weeks ago? The hotel was "sort of" on the way home :lol: If I was quick I could get there, snaffle the food and still get home in reasonable time!! Ruby must have thought I was possessed - I was actually walking for more than 5 minutes without stopping!!

Made it back to the car after 4.5 hours and set off like a bat out of hell to the hotel. Was I disappointed???

NO CHANCE!!!! YA BEAUTY!!! SCRUMLICIOUS!!!!

Just another brilliant day out!!
481.JPG
Now you see it
Attachments
482.JPG
Now you don't!!
2dalmatians
Mountaineer

Munros:38   Corbetts:3
Fionas:2   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:7   

Re: Stuchd an Lochain

Postby Del246 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:27 pm

Great pics. When I did this one I saw hehaw !! Cheers for letting me see what I missed.
Del246
Munro compleatist

Munros:105   Corbetts:15
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   

Postby pigeon » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:41 pm

Ha ha another nice bit of grub there i see :lol: ,good hill this and a good report :thumbup:
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:130
Fionas:41   Donalds:40+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Postby luckyguy68 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:18 pm

Good report. Im planning on doing this one in the next few weeks all going well. Im hoping for a bit less know at the top by then! :thumbup:
luckyguy68
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:8   

Postby rockhopper » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:43 pm

Aye - not sure I could live in Holland 8) Nice walk and some good views - the snow caps also help bring out the lines of the hills in the photos - cheers :D
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Postby jimandandrea » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:40 pm

Really enjoyed reading your report. It sounds like the perfect day- pace (dead slow to stop) and dinner at Lawers hotel. :lol:
jimandandrea
Munro compleatist

Munros:264   Corbetts:6
Hewitts:97
Wainwrights:214   

Postby 2dalmatians » Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:09 pm

Cheers for the comments all.

Russell I think I was still playing footie in the school playground in 1981... I wouldn't have thanked anyone for taking me up a munro then - "boring, you can't win anything climbing a hill!" I can hear myself say! :lol:
2dalmatians
Mountaineer

Postby quoman » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:33 pm

nice report 2D. i done this last year went the long way round just about killed me :lol: :lol:
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby 2dalmatians » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:39 pm

Quoman - the short route just about killed me off!! was really toiling for some reason :shock:
2dalmatians
Mountaineer

Postby Owen b » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:44 pm

I did this one today with Meall Buidhe. I was a bit concerned that the big dump of snow on Monday night would make the steep bits (up to the summit ridge, and the final push to the main summit) a bit dodgy, but with little wind and the showers mercifully avoiding us it was no problem.
Owen b
Walker

Munros:17   Corbetts:222
Fionas:168   Donalds:35
Sub 2000:204   Hewitts:315
Wainwrights:214   Islands:9

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland