walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

30 years revisited

30 years revisited

Postby luckyguy68 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:04 pm

Munros included on this walk: Ben Lomond

Date walked: 15/04/2012

Time taken: 4.1 hours

Distance: 12.3 km

Ascent: 990m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

When i set out on my first hill climb as a 13 year old boy brigader i never thought that 30 years later i would return to the very same Ben Lomond and with addictive tendencies tick it off as another one bagged (rebagged :lol: ). I have been able to play the route i took then in my head so many times and was eager to see if my memories had changed over the years. 8)
Firstly, the route was pretty much as i remembered it. Secondly, cant remember there been been as many people climbing it in 1982. There were zillions of them on the hill today. Im pretty sure there were less folk walking along princes street today!! :lol: If there was one thing i didnae need was to pull out my map and compass :lol: You simply had to follow the guy in front of you, most of whom were wearing white trainers 8) . Anyway, obviosly i exaggerate somewhat, but you get my drift as to the traffic flow issue. :shock:
20120415_101439.jpg
rare picture with no natives ruining the day

Another thing that surprised me was no parking charges. The meters were covered up despite a seasonal sign saying they were meant to be opened 1st April. Financial regneration money lost council folks as the car park was heaving by the time i got back. :(
Not a great deal to say about the actual walk though i'm starting to get a bit peed off with time, effort and money going into restoring pathways only for the masses to skip round them and make additional dents on the already scarred landscape. Don't know if this is my OCD kicking in or whether im right to be trying to keep to the designated paths?
20120415_102344.jpg
View from the start

20120415_103731.jpg
Views across loch Lomond

20120415_105058.jpg
More loch views

20120415_123148.jpg
Some unfamiliar hills, for the timebeing, in the background from the summit

20120415_123406.jpg
Think this is the Arrochar area?

I stayed at the summit for a quick bite to eat once i had negotiated around the various parties to find a decent spot. On the descent i passed numerous people asking me how far was it to the top". Some turned back when i told them they only had an hour to go :?: . Classic question though had to be "Is it uphill all the way"? :lol: In fairness though it was good to see so many enjoying our beautiful countryside. It took me four hours and ten minutes from start to finish :clap: though i was passed by several people who clearly were uninterested in savouring the scenery around them :thumbdown: . The weather conditions and view today were superb. On planning my next walk me thinks i will be heading the Arrochar alps. :thumbup:
luckyguy68
Mountaineer

Munros:25   Corbetts:1
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:8   

Re: 30 years revisited

Postby Johnny Corbett » Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:43 pm

This was my first Munro. Did it in wind, rain, sleet and hail and a wee bit of sunshine thrown in as well. Also sprained my ankle on the way down but thankfully it never put me off. Good photos :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby quoman » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:38 pm

Good one lucky.This was my first solo hill with snow and ice at the start of the climb nae axe or crampons but really enjoyed it.
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Mountainlove » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:55 pm

That was one of my first ones as well, and likewise...I am sure Glashow was empty that day concidering the masses you pass on the way up on a sunny day...thats the days when you need to do the less known ones for some peace and quiet :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:88   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland