walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Fionn Bheinn, Beinn Liath Mhor and Sgorr Ruadh

Fionn Bheinn, Beinn Liath Mhor and Sgorr Ruadh

Postby rockhopper » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:40 pm

Route description: Sgòrr Ruadh, Achnashellach

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Liath Mhòr, Fionn Bheinn, Sgòrr Ruadh

Date walked: 08/04/2012

Time taken: 11 hours

Distance: 28 km

Ascent: 2100m

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Our plans for Easter were fixed a few months ago – my wife and sons were off to London allowing me to head north. During the week of great March weather, I’d hatched more detailed plans for five nights’ wild camping and long days – these plans were dramatically altered closer to the time on viewing the weather forecast for the week. I almost wished I was going to London instead....not quite though.

Dropped my wife and sons off at Glasgow Airport and headed northwards – arrived in Achnasheen not long after 3pm. I now had until the afternoon of Friday 13 April as I was due to pick them up again in Glasgow that evening.

This report covers Sunday 8 April and Monday 9 April.

Munro: Fionn Bheinn
Distance: 9km
Ascent: 820m
Time: 3 1/4hrs
Attendees: me

Parked in the car park beside the train station. Waited a wee while but the rain wasn’t going to stop so I decided just to get ready and head off. Took the normal WH route. Walked across the road, turned right up the track past the water treatment hut and then on to the open hillside. Met a father and son on their way down – felt a wee bit odd carrying my ice axe which I’d brought because I couldn’t see the tops and didn’t know what to expect.

8apr2012track.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Wind and rain all the way up, couldn’t see anything in the clag.

Got to the top and still couldn’t see anything but at least it was a good warm up for the week to come.

Headed back down to the car – the clag did lift a wee bit for a short time before the rain came back on.

Munros: Beinn Liath Mhor, Sgorr Ruadh
Distance: 19.2km
Ascent: 1,280m
Time: 8hrs
Attendees: me

Headed down the A890 to the lay-by close to the Achnashellach train station. My original intention was to leave the car further down at the Coulags, cycle up to the train station so that I could walk Beinn Liath Mhor, Sgorr Ruadh and then over to Maol Chean-dearg. However, the weather was worsening, again I couldn’t see the tops and took the decision just to stick to the two hills for the day.

9apr2012track.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Headed up from the train station on the track which leads east of the River Lair and through the wee gate at the edge of the wooded section.

Still following the track I headed up until it splits to into the Coir Lair track or the start of the Beinn Liath Mhor ridge. The weather was rotten and I couldn’t see anything of the tops of the hills or the ridge. Decided just to walk up the Coire Lair track rather then head for the ridge.

Got to the lochan at the bealach between Beinn Liath Mhor and Sgorr Ruadh when I headed steeply up to the NE. Craggy and loose going but there was a sort of track discernible when not covered by snow.

Got to the summit of Beinn Liath Mhor and took a few quick photos sheltering the camera from the worst of the weather.

Had hoped to be able to see along the ridge but no such chance.

Had some food and drink and turned back down towards the bealach. Then headed in a southerly direction up Sgorr Ruadh.

You guessed it.....still couldn’t see anything in the rain and snow at the top again !

Some more food then set off downhill. I then met two guys who were on a walking holiday – they were part of a larger group who organise an annual event somewhere in Scotland and had been doing so for the past 30 year since leaving university. They had been aiming for the Corbett, Fuar Tholl, but couldn’t’ cross the river so headed further up – seemed surprised to find they were now on the munro instead !

Headed back down to the bealach and at long last started to be able to see something out of the clag.

Stopped intermittently for the odd photo and food. The faster of the other two walkers caught up and we walked back together – he told me that he’d been walking with the other guy for 30 years but they don’t talk while walking and the other guy tends walk more slowly.

It did clear a wee bit on the way down and I could see something of what I’d missed of Fuar Tholl and Beinn Liath Mhor's ridge.

Further down we ended up on the old track which was somewhat overgrown and got even wetter from all the overgrown vegetation. Still, at least we’d all got out despite the weather.

Weather-wise not a great start to the week so here’s hoping things improve from here on.....
rockhopper

Munros:282   Corbetts:222
Fionas:136   Donalds:89+20
Sub 2000:16   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:3   Islands:20

Re: Fionn Bheinn, Beinn Liath Mhor and Sgorr Ruadh

Postby Johnny Corbett » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:38 pm

Shame about the weather but far better than going to London :D Hope it improved for the rest of your week
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby dooterbang » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:55 am

what a bummer with the weather after a long drive up.

At least you could see your ice axe :)

Hoping very much things improved...
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby dannyboy2003 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 12:47 pm

hi,

it was me and my son that you saw starting up Fionn Bheinn...shame you look to have got the same conditions we had!!! miserable...

I hope you managed to stay up north through the weekend as the weather really picked up, so much so i have pretty much forgotten the grim days of earlier in the week!!!

M
dannyboy2003
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:7   

Postby jonny616 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:43 pm

Good stuff RH, Hope you enjoyed better weather for your remaining hill days. Look forward to reading them. 8)
jonny616
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:14
Fionas:2   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:1   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:8   Islands:8

Postby pigeon » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:09 pm

Pretty typical for the weather to be great the week before the holidays :( Well done on sticking it out though RH,you did better than me,must return in the summer :lol:
pigeon
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:127
Fionas:41   Donalds:39+7
Sub 2000:23   Hewitts:2
Wainwrights:1   Islands:2
Walk wish-list

Postby gammy leg walker » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:52 pm

Good to see you back out rockhopper,always like reading your reports,mind you since we met last year you seem to attract more clag than me. :lol: :lol:.
gammy leg walker
Munro compleatist

Munros:282   Corbetts:7
Fionas:4   Donalds:3+0
Sub 2000:2   
Islands:7
Walk wish-list

Postby quoman » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:19 pm

Hard luck wi the weather RH dont want to put a downer on the rest of the week but its to get worse,
and ave got 3 days off this week starting tomorrow :( so looks like al be in the hoose
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Alan S » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:01 pm

Shame about the weather rockhopper but still the usual good report 8)
Alan S
Mountain Walker

Munros:216   Corbetts:4
Fionas:4   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:13
Walk wish-list

Postby rockhopper » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:51 pm

dannyboy2003 wrote:hi, it was me and my son that you saw starting up Fionn Bheinn...shame you look to have got the same conditions we had!!! miserable...I hope you managed to stay up north through the weekend as the weather really picked up, so much so i have pretty much forgotten the grim days of earlier in the week!!!
M

It was nice meeting you - I'd only just arrived at this point. Did manage to stay up in the area and returned Friday evening. Weather was certainly mixed for the rest of the week but that's part of the challenge I guess. Your son certainly seemed to be enjoying himself despite the weather - cheers :D
rockhopper

Postby monty » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:33 am

As has been said Rockhopper the weather was pants :lol: Well done on seeing it through though. Reminds me of a few walks, ben Hope in particular, When I drove all the way up there the weather was crap but you just have to get out and walk :lol: Roll on the sunshine. :D
monty

Postby dannyboy2003 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:38 am

Hi,

Just realised this is my sons account!!! I am smudger71!

Yes we stayed up through until sunday, weather was great all weekend in Knoydart and thursday and friday around GLen Sheil were OK as well!

the boy was happy that i had cracked out the Jelly sweets, always goes down well at the ennd of a walk!

M
dannyboy2003
Rambler

Munros:282   Corbetts:3
Fionas:1   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:2   Hewitts:6
Wainwrights:7   

Postby ChrisW » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:57 pm

That's some hellish work with little visual reward mate, weather's a bitch at times but I guess that makes the good days even better :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby rockhopper » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:38 pm

dannyboy2003 wrote:Hi,
Just realised this is my sons account!!! I am smudger71!
Yes we stayed up through until sunday, weather was great all weekend in Knoydart and thursday and friday around GLen Sheil were OK as well!
the boy was happy that i had cracked out the Jelly sweets, always goes down well at the ennd of a walk!
M

cheers smudger - didn't realise it was you - had my WH badge on the rucksack but it's a bit wee to see :D

Thanks all for the comments - weather was a bit mixed the rest of the week but didn't stop me getting out :lol:
rockhopper

Postby Meatball » Sat Apr 13, 2013 6:35 pm

Wow!
I thought you'd done a deal with the devil and only got blue skies!
Spied this while researching a coming trip...
Cheers!
Meatball

Munros:63   Corbetts:49
Fionas:7   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:4   

6 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland