walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Ben Vane

Ben Vane

Postby Liebestoter » Fri Oct 02, 2009 2:35 pm

Route description: Ben Vane, from Inveruglas

Munros included on this walk: Ben Vane

Date walked: 20/09/2009

Time taken: 7 hours

Distance: 12 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Day 2 of my trip and the weather wasn't looking too bad, I set off from the car park at Inveruglas and headed up the road to Loch Sloy.
Ben Vane.JPG

With the weather just about holding I couldn't wait to reach the top but once you leave the road the path becomes very steep and energy sapping ( or am I just unfit ) :? Lots of breaks were taken and plenty of water drunk.
Ben Vorlich.JPG

Soon after I snapped this pic of Ben Vorlich the weather began to change and I only managed one more picture before the cloud and rain came.
Loch Lomond, Arklet and Katrine.JPG

I lost count of how many times I thought I was about to reach the summit just to find there was another bit to go, for a mountaun that is just high enough to be a Munro it seems to just keep going up and up and up.
Finally made the top in just over three hours, had a good long rest here despite the rain as my legs were aching.

I didn't fancy going back down the same way so I headed North for a short distance then picked my way down between Beinn Dubh and Ben Vane to Loch Sloy. This was a quite boggy in places and a bit slippery in places especially on the steeper parts which made it an interesting way down
Loch Sloy (2).JPG

From here it's a nice easy stroll back down the road to a well earned coffee in the cafe at the car park.
Liebestoter
Mountain Walker

Munros:234   Corbetts:20
Fionas:11   Donalds:1
Hewitts:157
Wainwrights:165   

Re: Ben Vane

Postby skuk007 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 12:43 pm

Well done Liebestoter.
I too remember drinking loads on the way up Ben Vane. I like to think it was because I did it on a rare scorcher but I think I could be fitter aswell. :)
Interesting way down though, did you make a new path? I don't remember reading about any that side.
skuk007
Mountain Walker

Munros:44   
Hewitts:8
Wainwrights:16   

Re: Ben Vane

Postby mountain coward » Tue Oct 06, 2009 11:40 pm

I went up on a very cold and misty day with a freezing strong wind so I found it pretty easy ascent, however, I really wanted to do what you've done and go down the northern end to the reservoir and back via the dam road but it was way too misty so I'm afraid I chickened out and went back down the normal route. Great pics from the summit!
mountain coward

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland