walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn Ime & Beinn Narnain

Beinn Ime & Beinn Narnain

Postby Liebestoter » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:55 pm

Munros included on this walk: Beinn Ime, Beinn Narnain

Date walked: 21/09/2009

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 13 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Day 3 of my trip, I arrived at the car park at the end of Loch Long, the rain was already falling so it was out with the waterproofs for the third day running. The path through the trees was more like a river and very hard going, felt like I had lead boots on, I think my legs were still suffering from Ben vane yesterday. Feeling a bit weary already I deciced to by pass Beinn Narnain (looked a bit steep for my tired legs) and take the path up the valley between The Cobbler and Beinn Narnain. A good choice I think as it rises steadily and was a lot easier on my legs (coming from Manchester I'm not used to all these big hills).

Once past the path to The Cobbler (which I didn't get to see thanks to the cloud) the path to Beinn Ime was very boggy in places and a river the rest of the time, rising steadilythough i found it fairly easy going. The higher I went the harder the rain fell so it was a flying visit to the summit. I found a bit of shelter from the rain to have lunch and deliberated wether or not to bother with Beinn Narnain.

Well being soaked to the skin I nearly went straight back the way I came, but when push comes to shove I just can't say no to a hill,they're like a drug to me so up it was. Although lower than Beinn Ime it is a lot steeper and tougher climb and it's amazing how much quicker you get up there when it's bucketing it down and there is nothing to see. Just a flying visit here as well and down via Cruach nam Miseag, this involved a few little scrambles and lots of boggy patches. Back to the car well and trully drenched and didn't even bother getting the camera out (I got enough pictures of clouds) but another first for me, doing 2 Munros in one day
Liebestoter
Munro compleatist

Munros:200   Corbetts:19
Grahams:10   Donalds:1
Hewitts:148
Wainwrights:150   

Re: Beinn Ime & Beinn Narnain

Postby Michelle » Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:16 pm

Well done on your first 2-in-a-day. I did these hills in similar fashion as you, inclement weather does wonders for my ascent/descent times- a nice sunny day will take me double long!
Michelle
Hill Bagger

Munros:25   Corbetts:9
Grahams:5   
Sub 2000:4   
Islands:14

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Walkhighlands community forum is advert free

We need help to keep the site online.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and the online community by setting up a monthly donation by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland