walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Meall Buidhe (Glen Lyon) ... and 50 years ago

Meall Buidhe (Glen Lyon) ... and 50 years ago

Postby Tinto63 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:58 pm

Date walked: 14/04/2012

Time taken: 5 hours

Distance: 9 km

Ascent: 520m

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

This was programmed as a slow walk so we took our time. Starting from the dam at 420m we headed north up moderate slopes heading just to the west of Meall a' Phuill and a short pull up to the plateau at point 917. Then, after a modest 1 km walk the summit is reached.

Despite being quite cold with a snell northerly breeze we loitered as long as possible on the top taking in the great 360 degree views available from this modest munro. Although no count was taken an estimate of 50 + peaks on view seemed to be reasonable.

While the photos give an idea of what was to be seen they don't convey the sheer wonder of a great day on the hills.

IMG_3742.JPG
the way up

IMG_3745.JPG
The Lawers range

IMG_3753.JPG
The summit looking north

IMG_3755.JPG
looking north east

IMG_3772.JPG
looking south

IMG_3776.JPG
Looking west

IMG_3782.JPG
Rannoch moor, Glencoe and Ben Nevis

IMG_3784.JPG
the way back with Meall Ghaordaidh and Stuchd an Lochain

In my small collection of old photographs I came across this one taken on 13 April 1962 - that week I was at the school's CCF camp at Oakhampton in Devon and we were on a map reading / compass exercise on Dartmoor. I've never forgotten the map reading and compass work done then and always reckon that if you can find your way on a misty Dartmoor you can probably navigate anywhere.

I hope you like the period outdoor gear - leather army boots and spats, camouflage trousers and the 'one size fits all' cagoule. The photograph was taken at Laughter Tor with Bellever Tor in background - a quick look at a modern map confirmed the location. I was 17 at the time.

Scan.jpeg
Laughter Tor Dartmoor 13 April 1962

Now compare with one from 14 April 2012.

In both shots I'm the titch on the right of the photograph

IMG_3768.JPG
Meall Buidhe 14 April 2012, Schiehallion in gap in group
Tinto63
Wanderer

Munros:129   Corbetts:46
Fionas:38   Donalds:89
Sub 2000:30   

Re: Meall Buidhe (Glen Lyon) ... and 50 years ago

Postby dogplodder » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:11 pm

That's brilliant. It's great to see the old photos and you haven't changed that much! :lol:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland