walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Beinn nan Oighreag tenth anniversary walk

Beinn nan Oighreag tenth anniversary walk

Postby JOHNGG » Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:08 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn nan Oighreag

Date walked: 17/04/2012

Time taken: 3 hours

Distance: 9 km

Ascent: 500m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

As I get ever closer to completing the Corbetts I have decided to write up my notes on each outing, so as to be able to relive them better when in my twilight years. Unfortunately my recollection of some of the hills I did years ago are fairly poor and my existing notes don't help. When I did Beinn nan Oighreag in 2002 I simply wrote "windy on top and some false summits" - hardly a fair description of any hill.

So, as Sunday's weather was looking pretty good I set off at an early hour and I was soon parked east of the hill on the road between Bridge of Balgie and Loch Tay, ready to go. Most of the walk reports suggest doing this from the south with Meall Ghaordaidh but my previous walk had been from the east so that's what I wanted to repeat.

Crossing the stream by a simple bridge I headed straight up and onto the eastern slopes of Creag Dubh .
April 2012 walks 009.jpg

The going was not too bad underfoot, most of the recent snow having gone by now on the lower slopes, so it was a case of head down and keep moving. There were, however, terrific views of the Lawers range and Meall nan Tarmachan to compensate. As I approached the slopes leading up to the broad summit ridge of Beinn nan Oighreag I was treated to a lovely golden eagle sighting, as it slowly glided round and away over the ridge.

The broad summit ridge has a track of sorts to follow and I soon found myself by the first of the false" cairns - this one very nicely decorated on top with quartz.

April 2012 walks 014.jpg

I had forgotten what a pleasant walk this hill was - good underfoot, and stunning views all around. A hill worth so much more than just "windy on top and some false summits" as a walk report. From the first cairn a slight descent and climb brought me to the summit proper, which is not the large cairn, but the large boulder at the west end (I know cause I double-checked with my Altimeter watch)

April 2012 walks 017.jpg

The views to the north and west were fantastic. This may not be a particularly inspiring hill by itself but its central position mean you can take in a lot of great hills from the top - I even saw Ben Nevis was popping its big snowy head up. The walk back to the car was just as enjoyable with cracking views east and I could check out my next target - Meall nan Maigheach - from which I had a good view back to see what I had climbed earlier and get a better idea of the size of the ridge of Beinn nan Oighreag.

April 2012 walks 021.jpg
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

JOHNGG

Munros:282   Corbetts:216
Donalds:7

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland