walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Lambs, seals and 3 miles of white sand on Berneray

Lambs, seals and 3 miles of white sand on Berneray

by dogplodder » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:28 pm

Route description: Berneray Explorer

Date walked: 11/04/2012

Distance: 16 km

Click to mark this as a great report. Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Re: Lambs, seals and 3 miles of white sand on Berneray

Postby Huff_n_Puff » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:16 pm

Caberfeidh wrote:
Huff_n_Puff wrote: Sadly my dogs don't do the sea - they live by it and reckon the only good bit is eating the dead shellfish - or rolling in the bits that even they can't stomach. And no, they wont go in for dip to wash off the smell either!

I've encountered this before - what you have there is a Fresh Water Dog. You need to swim them in a river/loch on your way home. :D

I look at my dogs with new respect now - they're not wimps afterall :lol:
Huff_n_Puff
Walker

Munros:278   Corbetts:20
Fionas:10   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:19   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:1   Islands:19

Postby KGBMC » Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:59 pm

Just back yesterday from a weeks cycling and walking trip to Barra and South Uist, the weather was superb with sunshine every day whilst it rained in Fife

The beaches on the west coast most certainly rival the best in the world

But don't spread the word to much or it will soon be as crowded as Ibiza

Only went as far North as Benbecula but already planning next trip to cover North Uist, Harris and Lewis

Will make extensive use of OAP bus pass
KGBMC
Hill Bagger

Postby dogplodder » Wed Apr 25, 2012 9:32 am

KGBMC wrote:The beaches on the west coast most certainly rival the best in the world

But don't spread the word to much or it will soon be as crowded as Ibiza

With the current drive to encourage folk to holiday in the UK there is this risk! :shock:

I'll put this thread to bed with a few shots from the day we left.

DSC02780-large.jpg

Leaving Lochmaddy
DSC02802-large.jpg

Skye from the Minch
DSC02805-large.jpg

Coming in to Uig
DSC02806-large.jpg
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

Postby smc4761 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 5:56 pm

great report and some wonderful pictures. I am just back last week from North Uist and of course had to do this walk again. I was fortunate enough to do this walk also in March this year the week we had the glorious weather. Favourite part of the walk has to be as you come down from the hill and reach the rocks before looking to the left and seeing the wonderful beach.

I only wish my missus would allow me to have a dog I would love to walk it there
smc4761
Bird-watcher

Postby dogplodder » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:54 am

smc4761 wrote: I am just back last week from North Uist and of course had to do this walk again. I was fortunate enough to do this walk also in March this year the week we had the glorious weather. Favourite part of the walk has to be as you come down from the hill and reach the rocks before looking to the left and seeing the wonderful beach.

I agree smc, that's a stunning part of the walk. What a beautiful beach it is and an all round magical island. :thumbup:
dogplodder

Munros:242   Corbetts:74
Fionas:26   
Sub 2000:32   Hewitts:4
Wainwrights:9   Islands:24

8 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Previous

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland