walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Cobbler

The Cobbler

Postby Liebestoter » Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:06 pm

Corbetts included on this walk: Beinn Luibhean, The Cobbler

Date walked: 23/09/2009

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 16 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Day 5 of my trip and I decided to give the Munros a rest and try a couple of Corbetts. I followed the same path as 2 days ago, this time the Cobbler was in full view
The Cobbler.JPG

The threat of rain was in the air again but at least it wasn't as windy as yesterday. I decided to take the first path up I came to instead of heading past the cobbler to the next path up. This path is a bit boogy in places and hands are needed once or twice but the close up views of The Cobbler are so much more Impressive.
the Cobbler (3).JPG
The Cobbler (4).JPG
The Cobbler (5).JPG

Once on top I turned right to visit the north summit first then over to the true summit.
The Cobbler Summit.JPG

On seeing this I thought how the hell do you get up there, of course out of curiosity I stuck my head through the hole in the rock and saw where I needed to go. I crawled throught the hole, along the ledge and scrammbled up on to the top. That was the easy part, getting back down on wet slippy rocks when you can see the drop if you fall was scary.
The clouds cleared slighty allowing me a quick photo but still no proper view.
Loch Long from The Cobbler.JPG

I descended to the north to the Bealach a Mhain and followed the path to Beinn Ime for a sort distance before bearing left off the path and heading over to my seconds Corbett of the day, Beinn Luibhean. With no path to follow I picked my own way up and down with a very short stop at the top and made my way back to the path and followed this back to the car park.

Best day of the week and I didn't even go up a Munro :shock:
Liebestoter
Mountain Walker

Munros:234   Corbetts:20
Fionas:11   Donalds:1
Hewitts:157
Wainwrights:165   

Re: The Cobbler

Postby kevsbald » Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:20 pm

Lesson learned? Sometimes the 'wee' hills are as much fun if not more than the big enes. Pity we didn't get a shot of you threading the eye of the needle.
kevsbald
Munro compleatist

Munros:273   Corbetts:134
Fionas:82   Donalds:53
Sub 2000:17   Hewitts:17
Wainwrights:29   

Re: The Cobbler

Postby monty » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:25 am

As Kev said, its a great wee hill. Looks scary to me :shock: I need to pop up there sometime and join in the fun :D Well done again Leibestoter :D
monty

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland