walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

The Black Mount -from bikini to 4 layers

The Black Mount -from bikini to 4 layers

Postby Mountainlove » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:12 pm

Route description: Stob Ghabhar and Stob a'Choire Odhair

Munros included on this walk: Stob a' Choire Odhair, Stob Ghabhar

Date walked: 14/04/2012

Time taken: 7.5 hours

Distance: 15 km

Ascent: 1268m

18 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

The attachment our_route.gpx is no longer available

There are days when I can honestly say Scotland is indeed the most beautiful, dramatic small country in the world. On the other hand there are days when hillwalking throws you in this countryside and all you want to do is stand and stare amazed at nature.
I have wanted to climb up the Black Mount since I have seen it walking the West Highland Way a few years back, driving past Rannoch Moor you can see the mountains as well and they made a beautiful backdrop in many photos I have taken over the years. So last Saturday I finally set the date to climb it. The weather forecast said sun, clouds and snow showers...for mid April not that unusual, but after the heat spell end of March my body was more tuned into summer heat than more snow. 8)

Setting off at 10:30 (still such a treat after all the early morning walks of winter) We parked the car at Victoria Bridge and followed the path towards the mountain. I have to say the countryside around the Black Mount is amazing...mountains, lochs, burns and scottish pines made the backstop utterly stunning and it is hard not to stop every few minutes to take photos. :D :D :D The path is clear and next to the green hut the path leads up to the mountains. From here the path is slightly more boggy in places, but all in all very good and easy to follow.
The attachment DSC00289.JPG is no longer available
The attachment DSC00293.JPG is no longer available

When you walk up the mountain it becomes clear that there are many routes you could take, but we opted for the simple, but steep route up the shoulder of Stob a' Choire Odhair.
Taking some breaks on the way up, I really enjoyed the experience not being in a rush to get the mountain done in a certain time, after all - a beautiful day needs to be appreciated! :D :D
We reached the higher slopes and were soon walking through deep snow. It was one of the strangest experiences...from sitting in the warm sun, to walking through snow...it somehow did not felt right, but we were walking through it. Reached the top we were presented with magnificent views over Rannoch Moor...a place which looks stunning from all angles.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

DSC00289.JPG
Country roads take me home...lalala

Taking our time we had a long break and finally after getting cold, headed down the hillside towards Stob Ghabar. It was tempting to walk down to the bottom to our right and follow the side of the mountain up, but laziness won and so we followed the path down the middle...I left the GPS as a fallback option in my pocket, as on a sunny day with clear paths it is nice not to carry a map and instead follow the path you fancy right that minute...Or indeed footprints someone else left in the snow right in front of you.

The walk down the hill was lovely and soon the loch came into view. In fact the walls around the loch reminded me more about a crater than anything else and the snow made the whole backgrop even more beautiful.
The steep slope up to the Aonach Eagach made me loose all layers I put on and I was soon sweating and jokingly said I could walk around in a bikini...as Marco would not believe me I had to show him how to be a rufty tufty hillwalker who does not feel the cold... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .
DSC00293.JPG
Beautiful landscape
DSC00373.JPG
Who needs a holiday abroad?...we just need to toughen up a bit ;-)
DSC00333.JPG
Rannoch Moor
DSC00355.JPG
Stob Ghabar

Looking back towards Stob a' Choire Odhair the weather changed into one of the most dramatic spectacles I have seen so far. Sunshine and clouds painted dramatic high and low lights on the countryside, while Tornado look alike snow showers moved across the wide open space of Rannoch Moor. Beautiful!

We reached the top and walked along the Aonach Eagach...even though it was covered in ice and snow with deep drops to either side I thought it was pretty straight forward to follow and quite exciting.
The last pull to the top was pretty easy as well and we were soon standing on top of Stob Ghabar.
Depending in which direction I turned the weather changed from summer - winter. Snowflakes flew past us while the sun was shining but no wind could be felt. Topping that was one of the most stunning mountains in Scotland. GlenCoe is really hard to beat when it comes to dramatic mountainsides.
DSC00383.JPG
The 'Krater'
DSC00385.JPG
Stob a'Choire Odhair
DSC00416.JPG
Stob a'Choire Odhair
DSC00426.JPG
DSC00434.JPG
DSC00439.JPG

We stayed for ages and only reluctantly left the top to make our way back down the mountain. The path down was very easy although a bit boggy as soon as the snow was gone. Following the waterfall down to the path the weather changed yet again and this time dark clouds appeared, which soon turned into rain. The show was over. Walking back to the car the weather still took dramatic turns highlighting the scot pines and close to the car a herd of deer stood on the fields next to us quite curious and pretty tame for wild deer....all in all a fantastic day out and one of my favourite ones so far!
DSC00448.JPG
The waterfall on the way back
DSC00455.JPG

DSC00470.JPG

DSC00464.JPG

More photos and video shots of the summits can be watched in this slideshow...
http://youtu.be/XKg-u8wUg9A
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:90   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Re: The Black Mount -from bikini to 4 layers

Postby dooterbang » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:20 pm

This was my 99th and 100th :)

Its a fab walk, more so when adding the other 2 Munros for the Blackmount Traverse.

Looks like you had a nice drama free walk for a change, well done...although you did spice it up with a winter bikini shot...i hope the younger walkers dont view this :lol:
dooterbang
Munro compleatist

Munros:262   Corbetts:58
Fionas:18   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:10   Hewitts:18
Wainwrights:21   Islands:19

Postby quoman » Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:24 pm

Seems like you had a lovely time up there, can you guess what photo everybody will like :lol: :lol:
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby Fudgie » Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:40 pm

It's clear from the report and the pictures that you enjoyed yourself on these two. My dads friend was up them recently for "a wee run" :shock: I'll do well to walk up never mind run to the summit :lol:
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby scoob999 » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:17 pm

Great report Mountainlove :D
we were there on sunday to do the 4 but the snow put an end to that! :(
Very decieving as your pics and the ones i took look like there's not much snow! we also had the same weather but fortunately i never had my bikini on :lol: :lol: :lol:
P.S did you not make a snow angel :lol:
scoob999
Munro compleatist

Munros:143   Corbetts:222
Fionas:151   Donalds:89+52
Sub 2000:145   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:7   Islands:22

Postby adamarchie » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:24 pm

Well done for making the most of last weekend's stunning conditions. Great to see the views that my friend Reuben and I missed when we did Stob Ghabhar last November. 70-80mph winds and total whiteout. Crackin! One of my favourite days in the hills, though no photos to prove it.
adamarchie
Hill Bagger

Munros:259   Corbetts:40
Fionas:17   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:21   

Postby Graeme D » Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:53 pm

Great stuff about another route that has so far eluded me! I love those spring days where the hills are all dry and brown looking below about 800 metres but with a good covering above that (like we got on the RoS the day before) - it gives real contrast and really comes through in the photos. As for the bikini thing, well I've walked many hills and read reports on here on many more, but never seen that before! :lol:
Graeme D

Munros:251   Corbetts:124
Fionas:75   Donalds:22
Sub 2000:62   Hewitts:36
Wainwrights:28   Islands:6

Postby blanchie » Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:38 pm

Graeme D wrote: As for the bikini thing, well I've walked many hills and read reports on here on many more, but never seen that before! :lol:

Not taking anything away from the lovely report and fetching photos :D but there was a hill in Glengarry named 'Welly Point' by the locals, after one had seen a girl stretching towards the sky on top of the trig point - and yes that was all she was wearing :lol:

I think we were on our honeymoon there...........
blanchie
Munro compleatist

Munros:119   Corbetts:13
Fionas:7   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:5   Hewitts:73
Wainwrights:115   

Postby JOHNGG » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:22 pm

Another excellent report Mountainlove.

(and thanks for providing me with a new screensaver)

:D :D
JOHNGG

Munros:282   Corbetts:216
Donalds:7

Postby mrssanta » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:34 pm

Actually ALL the photos are brilliant. a most enjoyable read
mrssanta
Mountain Walker

Munros:281   Corbetts:12
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:12   Hewitts:43
Wainwrights:41   Islands:13

Postby mountain thyme » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:46 pm

dooterbang wrote:This was my 99th and 100th :)

Its a fab walk, more so when adding the other 2 Munros for the Blackmount Traverse.

Looks like you had a nice drama free walk for a change, well done...although you did spice it up with a winter bikini shot...i hope the younger walkers dont view this :lol:

never mind the youngs ones.. its the old ones like you DB i worry about incase you have a heart attack....hope the weathers good in May and i can go up my last one in the Buff!
mountain thyme
Walker

Munros:40   Corbetts:222
Fionas:12   Donalds:11
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:1
Wainwrights:1   Islands:17

Postby ChrisW » Wed Apr 18, 2012 5:55 pm

Great stuff ML, beautiful photos all the way but I particularly like the 'glamour shot' ......of Marco on top of Stob Ghabhar :lol: :lol: great report, throughout :D
ChrisW
Rambler

Munros:18   Corbetts:5
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:6   

Postby Mountainlove » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:21 pm

@dooterbang ...great mountain for being your 100th!!! Didnt you had a sign which said 100?? Think to remember that one from one of your trip reports and thought it was a great idea!

@Fudgie ...wee run...one can only dream to get as fit as that :shock:

@scoob999...snow angel...lol not that time but I did that once in Canada at -20C in a full bikini...afterwards I decided that some things you only need to try once! :lol:

@adamarchie...70-80 mph winds and a whiteout...thats pretty good going...no wonder you didnt took photos! :shock:

@Graeme D ...I agree walking in April is usually great...a mix between summer and winter...As for the bikini if MountainTyne does what she wrote there is more to come :D :D

@Everyone else thank you for your comments :D :D :D
Mountainlove
Munro compleatist

Munros:90   Corbetts:54
Fionas:7   Donalds:10
Sub 2000:3   
Islands:10

Postby monty » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:23 pm

Excellent report ML. Great set of ........... Photos :lol: :lol: Spring seems to bring a bit of magic to the hills. :D
monty

Postby Jock McJock » Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:49 pm

Photo of the month and walk report of the month all in one :clap: :clap: :clap: :wink: :wink:
Jock McJock
Mountain Walker

Munros:173   Corbetts:5
Fionas:2   
Sub 2000:1   

18 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Next

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland