walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Munro 27 & 28 - Bidean nam Bien

Munro 27 & 28 - Bidean nam Bien

Postby IamAJMiller » Wed Apr 18, 2012 4:03 pm

Munros included on this walk: Bidean nam Bian, Stob Coire Sgreamhach

Date walked: 16/10/2009

Time taken: 8 hours

Distance: 10.5 km

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Day 2 of our Glencoe trip and a night of drinking in the Boots Bar of the Clachaig Inn and a 3 person room didn't help the hangover! However we had a cracking breakfast with the best black pudding I've ever had! The weather was gorgeous, sweltering in fact! So we parked in the Three Sisters carpark and got set up, I sat in the back seat and with the door open put on my boots.........

So we crossed the river and headed down to the Coire nan Lochan, legs were all a bit stiff but the more we went on the better it got. It took a long time to get up below the peak where the lochans can be found. It was an easy ascent up to the ridge and from there it got a bit scrambley to get to the peak. Myself and Craig loving it but Mark and his fear of heights kicking in a bit! The final pull up to Bidean scared him a little too with the cliffs on the right shiting him right up, not helped by Craig pretending to nosedive over them! He's a laugh that boy.....

After lunch and some stunning views all around we headed East to the bealach and up to the second Munro of the day Stob Coire Sgreamhach. The way home involved the corrie also know as the Lost Valley, the headwall was pretty steep but the angle eased quickly and the views down into the valley were excellent. Once in the valley we made our way straight ahead, missing the path on the right so we had to struggle through blocks and the riverbed until we picked up the path as it crossed East to West further down. I'd been here before as a child so it all had a vague familiarity about it. Back at the car, I walked up and noticed that I'd left the door wide open all day!! A whole 8 hours with the door open exposing my climbing rope, gear, wallet and phones in the front!! Luckily no one came hear, hopefully due to the fact that it's such a busy place that people just assumed that we were close at hand! One guy came up and told me that it'd been open far ages, I ushered him away from Mark and told him to go away! Hahahaha!!! I told Mark later I'd left his car open all day a few weeks later, luckily he laughed!!!
Attachments

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

IamAJMiller
Munro compleatist

Munros:13   Corbetts:31
Fionas:2   Donalds:3
Sub 2000:18   Hewitts:51
Wainwrights:78   

Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland