walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

John (71) munro virgin

John (71) munro virgin

Postby mr_mrsH » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:25 pm

Route description: Càrn Gorm, Meall Garbh, Càrn Mairg & Creag Mhòr

Munros included on this walk: Càrn Gorm

Date walked: 11/03/2012

Time taken: 5 hours

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

my father in law John was impressed with our munro bagging and the photos that we had shown him and was determined that he would, one day, come with us to do one himself. so we said "ok John next time your up and the weather's ok we'll take you up one". and so come March and the in laws were due a visit a quick check on the weather for that weekend was made and Sunday looked to be the better day for us.

the reason for picking Carn gorm was that on a previous we somehow managed to miss the bridge across the Invervar burn (had left the WH printout on the dining room table). but had spotted a couple of walkers further on so had followed them. we kept the burn on our left hand side and went straight ahead and up, once at the top and a quick look and the map i discovered that we were at the summit of An Sgorr and a glance to the left saw a trail of walkers coming down Carn Gorm. so what to do, go up CG or miss and do the others. so we just did the others and left CG for another day.

Up early Sunday and round to pick up John for 8 o'clock and we were on the road. got to the Invervar car park at about 11 o'clock, went slightly the wrong way on the way there, booted up and on our way.
DSCF6039.JPG
the before picture

going over the first stile we noticed the the hand hold usually at the top had been snapped of so as to make it a bit awkward.
DSCF6041.JPG
john at the first stile

DSCF6043.JPG
the missed bridge

once over the bridge the track follows at low level beside the burn, but when we were coming down the path was at high level following the fence surrounding the trees which was also a better route than the one we took up.
DSCF6046.JPG
following the burn

the first snow we encountered was a bank against the hillside (or the ice field as John described it) at around about 900metres, someone had already been up as there were tracks in the bank which we followed up.
DSCF6050.JPG
ascending the "ice field"

DSCF6051.JPG
continuing up the "ice Field"

the summit was reached in 2.5 hrs the wind was a constant 50/60mphs with the visibility down to approximately 70metres. a couple of quick photos were taken and we headed back down.
DSCF6052.JPG
they're in there somewhere

DSCF6055.JPG
John and mrsH at the summit

mrsH was just about helpless with laughter at her dads quips about ice fields and me telling him that there was just "one more push" to the summit.
DSCF6054.JPG
helpless with laughter

DSCF6058.JPG
John coming down the ice field

DSCF6062.JPG
stop for lunch

after 5 hours we were nearing the start point and John was feeling the pace but is determined to do another once he has gotten fitter and lost a stone, or so he kept telling us.
DSCF606501.jpg
the after photo

on the way home a detour was made through Kenmore for a pint at the Kenmore arms.
hopefully John is looking forward to his next Munro, maybe sometime in June, will let you all know.
mr_mrsH
Mountain Walker

Munros:282   

Re: John (71) munro virgin

Postby SusieThePensioner » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:39 pm

Enjoyed reading your report and some great photos :D

WELL DONE JOHN :thumbup: Made me feel young at only 62 :lol: :lol:
SusieThePensioner

Munros:6   Corbetts:3
Fionas:4   Donalds:7
Sub 2000:3   Hewitts:107
Wainwrights:156   

Postby jimandandrea » Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:47 pm

Enjoyed reading your report. John did well although I must admit the before and after pictures made me smile (with empathy of course :D ).
jimandandrea
Munro compleatist

Munros:264   Corbetts:6
Hewitts:97
Wainwrights:214   

Postby Bod » Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:07 pm

Well done John, great stuff!!! :D Hopefully next time you will get a nice clear day with low winds.....you will have fair enjoyed yer pint afterwards :lol:
Bod
Walker

Munros:282   Corbetts:67
Fionas:34   Donalds:21
Sub 2000:44   Hewitts:27
Wainwrights:51   Islands:25

Postby Lastofthesummerwine » Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:33 pm

Glad you made it John, just a pity that the weather was not too good. I was curious about that object being held in the left hand of the person to the right of the first picture. It looked to me like a bumper size spray can of furniture polish but I thought, what would you be wanting to polish? Please enlighten me
Lastofthesummerwine
Mountain Walker

Postby Fudgie » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:01 pm

Thats fantastic. He should be very proud of himself and it shows that its never too late to get the bug :D
Fudgie
Mountain Walker

Munros:100   Corbetts:20
Fionas:3   Donalds:7

Postby quoman » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:18 pm

Well done John looked like you ejoyed yourself ...wait till the better weather come's and you get the views for your effort.
quoman
Mountaineer

Munros:282   Corbetts:10
Fionas:1   Donalds:5
Sub 2000:2   

Postby mr_mrsH » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:00 pm

Lastofthesummerwine wrote:Glad you made it John, just a pity that the weather was not too good. I was curious about that object being held in the left hand of the person to the right of the first picture. It looked to me like a bumper size spray can of furniture polish but I thought, what would you be wanting to polish? Please enlighten me

that's mrsh and no not a can of polish just a common or garden water bottle
mr_mrsH
Mountain Walker

Postby mr_mrsH » Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:02 pm

RTC wrote:4 Munros for anyone on their first attempt is great. To do so at the age of 71 while snow is still lying is a wonderful achievement.

unfortunately didn't manage 4 due to bad visibility just did Carn Gorm, maybe next time.
mr_mrsH
Mountain Walker

Postby adamarchie » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:02 pm

Does anyone know what the record is for completing the Munros having started them at the latest age? :D If it's less than 79, my girlfriend's granddad will be press-ganged into making an attempt: he did his first - Meall nan Tarmachan - on Easter Saturday. Just 282 to go!
adamarchie
Hill Bagger

Munros:259   Corbetts:40
Fionas:17   Donalds:2
Sub 2000:21   

2 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland