walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Superb hike to Morven, Caithness.

Superb hike to Morven, Caithness.

Postby trekker53 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 12:59 pm

Fionas included on this walk: Morven

Date walked: 30/04/2010

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 14 km

Ascent: 550m

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

Just a short report to highlight the spectacular landscape of Caithness. To often overlooked by more popular mountain areas.
Two years ago my cousin Deborah and her partner Dave came up from Lancashire to celebrate her 50th birthday. They are keen walkers so we decided to take them to Morven, Caithness's highest mountain at 706m. Here they would get good views of the vast Caithness moors and Flow Country.
The weather was bright and forecast good so we set off to Braemore about 6 miles inland from Dunbeath.
The previous day she poured her own 15year old malt from the cask at the Old Pulteney visitor centre in Wick. A gift from my brother she was happy to accept.
IMG_2510.JPG
The liquid gold being drawn
IMG_2514.JPG
Deborah being presented with her bottle by tour guide Deborah.

Back at Braemore we parked beside the bridge and the now rare red phone box.
IMG_2733.JPG
Getting ready for the hike
Crossing the bridge we passed the estate cottages and outbuildings on a good track to Corrichoich. The going was easy passing through a small woodland.
IMG_2737.JPG
Through the woodland
As you leave the forest a sign mentions beware of bull but all the times I've been there I've never seen one.
Now the landscape opens up and we get views of the Maiden Pap at 484m with Morven in the background. A great wee hill, some minor scrambling required to reach summit.
IMG_2739.JPG
Maiden Pap with Morven to the right
IMG_2750.JPG
Onwards to Morven
IMG_2757.JPG
Morven

Onwards passing the old deserted house beside the Berriedale Water at Corrichoich.
IMG_2759.JPG
Deserted house at Corrichoich, by Berriedale Water
After here the track stops and we now follow a line through the heather. Morven is now firmly in our sights getting so close. But first we have to negotiate the peat hags that are more frequent now.
IMG_2762.JPG
Jumping over the peat hags
Lots of jumping and zig zagging around we arrived at the bealach between Carn Mor and Morven.
IMG_2767.JPG
Bealach between Carn Mor and Morven
Deborah was finding this section a bit hard as her normal hiking has been on good tracks in the Lake District.
IMG_2769.JPG
Deborah all alone.

The rest of us was fine so now there was only one way to summit and that was straight up 400m. There is no track, just make your own line up. Poor Deborah decided it was not for her so settled to relax and wait for our return.
IMG_2770.JPG
Dave leading the way.

As we got up higher the views opened up. You could see all over Caithness. Faraway mountains were seen on the skyline. We were all alone. We stood there taking in the quietness. A marvellous feeling of being at one with nature. Just the odd birdsong broke the silence.
At the summit Dave was happy he made the climb.
IMG_2776.JPG
At the summit
Celebratory handshakes and photos taken we moved back down.
IMG_2781.JPG
Scaraben mountains to the right and Maiden Pap, left of centre.
Had a quick bite to eat as we were thinking of Deborah down below waiting for us.
IMG_2782.JPG
Lunchtime

We descended a lot quicker than going up and soon reached Deborah. She was very happy relaxing in the soft sunshine and listening to the sound of silence. Something that city folk rarely hear.
IMG_2790.JPG
Morven with Berriedale Water

We negotiated those peat hags again and chatted away as we returned by the same way back to the car.
We finished of our day by going to a local Indian restaurant where we quenched our thirst with a few beers along with a good curry.
IMG_2526.JPG
A great way to end the day.

The next day Deborah and Dave was heading back down the A9 with some wonderful memories of their time in Caithness.
trekker53
Munro compleatist

Munros:215   Corbetts:88
Fionas:42   Donalds:1
Sub 2000:50   Hewitts:5
Wainwrights:7   

Re: Superb hike to Morven, Caithness.

Postby Johnny Corbett » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:11 pm

Lovely looking hills and area. Will need to venture up the north east and do some walking, cheers :D
Johnny Corbett
Mountain Walker

Munros:25   Corbetts:214
Fionas:168   Donalds:74
Sub 2000:302   Hewitts:1
Islands:14

Postby takoronga » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:04 pm

Great report and photos - thanks for that, I was planning on going this weekend and people always talking about "the long walk in" but now I've seen it, it seems like a fine long walk in to me so am all prepared : ) Cheers
takoronga
Hill Bagger

Munros:9   Corbetts:4
Fionas:3   
Sub 2000:4   

Postby basscadet » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:22 pm

Oh, I didn't realise this is only a graham.. Nice to see a walk report for it.. Was up this way a lot as a teenager :thumbup:

Should of done the pap as well though.. beautiful wee pimple that one :wink:
basscadet
Munro compleatist

Munros:84   Corbetts:52
Fionas:18   Donalds:8
Sub 2000:34   Hewitts:13
Wainwrights:17   Islands:21

Postby fred67 » Fri Jul 22, 2022 10:54 pm

Wow it looks amazing. I have never seen something like that in Europe. Last week we went by car from Forres to Bettyhill and Thurso. And in our way back I saw the first time this magnificaint landscape. I Was not able to take a photo, so I am thankful to see this picture of Caithness. If I come to Scotland again, I will stay there for a few days. If you have more photos of this area please let me know!
fred67
Wanderer

5 people think this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland