walkhighlands

Share your personal walking route experiences in Scotland, and comment on other peoples' reports.
Warning Please note that hillwalking when there is snow lying requires an ice-axe, crampons and the knowledge, experience and skill to use them correctly. Summer routes may not be viable or appropriate in winter. See winter information on our skills and safety pages for more information.

Mullardoch Day 1

Mullardoch Day 1

Postby bootsandpaddles » Mon Apr 23, 2012 3:34 pm

Route description: The Loch Mullardoch Munros

Munros included on this walk: Càrn nan Gobhar (Loch Mullardoch), Sgùrr na Lapaich

Date walked: 18/04/2012

Time taken: 6 hours

Distance: 16 km

Ascent: 1407m

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

MULLARDOCH DAY 1

Arriving at the dam at about 11.30am and the weather being pretty good I decided to have a go at the nearest two Munros, Carn nan Gobhar and Sgurr na Lapaich. I followed the higher track across to the bridge over the Allt Mullardoch although having taken the lower path the next day (twice!) I don’t think there is a lot to choose between the two. Views along the loch were stunning and I reminisced about previous trips to Glen Affric as I marched along.
DSCN1074.JPG
Loch Mullardoch
Once over the river I headed straight up the steep slopes of Mullach na Maoile. From the top I could see the broad, rocky south ridge of Carn nan Gobhar as it climbed out of a slight dip.
DSCN1076.JPG
Carn nan Gobhar with Sgurr na Lapaich behind
Gaining the summit plateau I crossed to cairn just as the cloud closed in, the wind got up and it started to snow. But not before I had a brief glance at Sgurr na Lapaich which looked rather daunting: very steep with quite a covering of snow :wtf: . I gave myself a stern talking to about being a wimp and carried on down to the bealach. It is a long way down and gives quite a good bailing out option past the beautiful Loch Tuill Bhearnach.
DSCN1080.JPG
The weather cleared so I had a good view up the ridge. “If you come to anything you don’t fancy you can always turn back” I told myself. It was hard going through the wet, soft snow but I finally made it to the last snow-filled gully
DSCN1082.JPG
The only way is up
and there I was on the summit. I enjoyed the brilliant views of the ridge to Sgurr nan Clachan Geala
DSCN1083.JPG
Sgurr nan Clachan Geala
whilst congratulating myself on being so brave :roll: . I had a look across towards An Riabhachan but that could wait til tomorrow.
DSCN1085.JPG
Looking west
Off I went down the ridge bearing east where it divided, and then down to the Allt Taige. After crossing quite high up in the corrie I picked up a path that led back down to the lochside and then along to the bridge and back to the dam. An excellent half day’s walk, although it has to be said that it was extremely boggy and wet everywhere that wasn’t covered in soft, wet snow.

our_route.gpx Open full screen  NB: Walkhighlands is not responsible for the accuracy of gpx files in users posts

bootsandpaddles

Munros:282   Corbetts:103
Donalds:7

Re: Mullardoch Day 1

Postby monty » Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:16 pm

Nice walk Boots........
Brings back memories. Nice set of photos. Look forward to episode 2. :D
monty

Re: Mullardoch Day 1

Postby Lady Di » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:50 pm

Cool, I did the exact same on Saturday! I set off at midday...erm, had intended to leave at 8am however that's another story! I Need to go back to do the other two (wat a thought...that path is, well, in a word, LONG!) I was watering at the mouth to hit the other two however the thought of me, mysel & I, my head torch & some mountain goats didn't take my fancy so I headed back towards the dam.

Let me know if you're heading back, will join! If I can really face that path again that is, otherwise I may go for it this wknd...or call the mannie in the boat, or grab a kayak!!
Lady Di
Rock-climber

Munros:269   

1 person thinks this report is great.
Register or Login
free to be able to rate and comment on reports (as well as access 1:25000 mapping).

Can you help support Walkhighlands?

Our forum is free from adverts - your generosity keeps it running.
Can you help support Walkhighlands and this community by donating by direct debit?

Return to Walk reports - Scotland